RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

Old March 15th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Gregory C. Read

Default RCCL implementing fees for Johnny Rockets

I've mentioned this before, but the price of a drink doesn't have much to do
with the cost of the liquor. For example, let's say they buy a 1 liter
bottle of liquor for $22 wholesale on land. They will probably charge $5.00
or more per drink. You can get 22 drinks from that liter or a total of $110
from the $22 bottle. Now let's say they get that bottle for FREE. If they
still want to make the same amount of money, they would now charge $4.00 per
drink. That's not a really big difference. And of course, they won't get the
bottle for free. I'm just pointing out the extreme.

--
Greg
lid

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message
The local dispenser of alcoholic beverages buys their liquor wholesale but
taxed. A cruise line buys their liquor wholesale and for the most part
untaxed.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Cal Ford" wrote in message
Perhaps onboard prices are comparable to other venues but it was not

that
long
ago that drink prices would go down once a ship left port because they

did
not
have to pay tax on booze served at sea. Those days are long gone ......

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , Ray Goldenberg

says...

On 15 Mar 2004 11:13:47 -0800,
(Lee) wrote:

Not at all. I find drink prices on ship to be comparable or less than
what I pay in local watering holes.

Hi Lee,

Everyone does not pay New York prices as you do or Santa Barbara
prices as I do. ;+) That being said, I think cruise lines compare
favorably with pricing at Caribbean resorts.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old March 15th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Brian K

On 03/09/2004 1:59 PM Bill C scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:

I just read on www.Cruise Critic.com that Royal Caribbean will now be
charging a $3.95 fee for eating at Johnny Rockets. The fee will also be for
take out orders. The fee started with the Mariner of the Sea this week and
will start March 13 on the Navigator of the Sea.
Of course the reason for the charge is the same one they use all the time,
"to manage demand for the restaurant".

Sorry if this was already posted.

Bill

Jonny Rockets sux bigtime at the local shopping mall. Why oh why would
anyone want to eat at one on a cruise?

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old March 16th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Tom & Linda

"Brian K" wrote in message
hlink.net...
On 03/09/2004 1:59 PM Bill C scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:

I just read on www.Cruise Critic.com that Royal Caribbean will now be
charging a $3.95 fee for eating at Johnny Rockets. The fee will also be

for
take out orders. The fee started with the Mariner of the Sea this week

and
will start March 13 on the Navigator of the Sea.
Of course the reason for the charge is the same one they use all the

time,
"to manage demand for the restaurant".

Sorry if this was already posted.

Bill

Jonny Rockets sux bigtime at the local shopping mall. Why oh why would
anyone want to eat at one on a cruise?

Because it was fun.

One afternoon all I got was a big bag of onion rings to go. Ate them out on
my balcony while reading my book.

--Tom

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:41 PM
MZT

Just thought you should all know. I got a rather irritating e-mail response
from Royal Caribbean when I complained about the $3.95 for Johnny Rockets.
They claim it is just a "test" to see the popularity of the restaurant over
the next 8 weeks. However, they made it clear that even though there are no
immediate plans to continue with this charge after the 8 weeks, it is
possible that the fee will not be removed. The message keeps mentioning all
the other "free" dining options available. . .is it really "free" when you
have paid thousands of dollars in cruise fare? Maybe my loyalty to RCCL is
misplaced. So can someone please tell me, how is the food and service on
the Princess line?

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:41:55 GMT, "MZT" wrote:

So can someone please tell me, how is the food and service on
the Princess line?

Hi,

Princess has good food but they also have alternative dining that does
cost extra in some venues. Princess has charged extra in some venues
for many years.

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:14 PM
E.k.R.

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
Hi,

Princess has good food but they also have alternative dining that does
cost extra in some venues. Princess has charged extra in some venues
for many years.

Not to mention charges for premium ice cream and premium orange juice. If
you are looking for a line with no extra charges, you might want to set your
sights a bit higher than Princess. How about Silversea or Seabourn? Any of
the major lines (Cunard, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean,
Carnival, Costa, etc.) are going to have extra tariff restaurants and plenty
of incentives for you to spend your money onboard. These lines are all
using onboard revenue to make up for low ticket prices.

Good luck!

Ernie

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Ray,

I was given to understand that the money charged in the alternative
restaurants was not for the food but for the service.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ