Why do people live in Florida?

Old September 12th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Christina

As someone who has lived in California 23 of the 35 years of my life I
think I can explain it. (I was in hurricaine andrew as well as the 89
earthquake in the bay area) Hurricaines you can see coming. You CAN
get away. You can LIVE. Earthquakes sneak up on you. Your just laying
there one day, and boom! your world is destroyed (Try that when your
11 years old!) Hurricaines let you get away, screw some of your stuff
if you have to. ITS JUST STUFF! All my life I have wanted to live in
florida because they do not have earthquakes. Believe me, dont knock a
hurricaine until youve been throuigh one. Try an earthquake....youll
take the hurricaine, I promise you. In the easrthquake of 1989 I saw
my mother almost die (she ran outside when it happened and was almost
crushed by our falling chimney, my father pulled her out). I lost my
house. I lost everyTHING i had as a child. I feel if there is a
hurricaine coming, do your best to get your stuff, But at least YOU
can be saved. Its not a suprise. So I choose florida. Right now Im
going to Texas, so Im halfway there. Thanks for listening
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Terry Gowan

"AC" wrote in message

Babies aren't born killers.

Society shapes them into killers.

If Society is responsible for shaping babies into killers, why don't we have
more killers? Does Society single out a few babies for this shaping
process? Is there some kind of entrance exam for babies to take in order to
get into the right programs?

My heart bleeds for kids who have a-holes for parents, or no parents at all
and spend their entire childhoods in orphanages or in and out of crappy
foster homes. Abuse is a difficult thing to overcome. But, as an adult,
every killer or criminal makes his or her own choices. And when one of them
kills one of your family members, come talk to me about the method by which
you want to see them executed.

Terry Gowan

Old September 12th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Gunner

On 11 Sep 2004 20:10:53 -0700,
(Christina) wrote:

[...]

Shrug..I lost my entire house in the Coalinga Earthquake. I moved 90
miles away. Not because I was afraid of earthquakes, but because I
took a better job.

If you live your life afraid of earthquakes, etc etc..it would be
ironic if you were run over by a bus.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:18 PM
fideauxdon

I've lived in Florida for 25 years, as of April. This year, I
experienced my first hurricane. A neighbor's tree punched a small hole
in my screened porch roof, which cost me $4.00 worth of epoxy to
repair. I've enjoyed great beaches, low living costs, including no
state income taxes, and a great family atmosphere. I can ignore the
fact that the state is governed by the brother of our befuddled
president.

What's your excuse for living where you live??

Old September 12th, 2004, 11:25 PM
AC

I'd suggest that you're all right to a degree.

The way I would suggest it works, is that many (if not, all) people are born
with a certain propensity to behave anti-socially.

Using that logic, to class someone as a born killer is only half right -
some people will leave it at road-rage, or petty nastiness, and others will
take it to the limit.

Another big factor, is the benefit/gain situation, in which - if someone has
nothing "to live for", or a series of painful, unresolved issues in their
past, then the prospect of being incarcerated/incinerated by society for
their lack of restraint, is weighed up by the individual's assessment of the
value of their current situation. Not all criminals are simply idiots,
acting on impulse.

We need to recognise these people a lot better, and help them before it's
too late. If the stigma society attaches to seeking, or receiving
psycological help was removed for a starter, we might be on the right
track...

"Terry Gowan" t wrote in
message ink.net...
"AC" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old September 13th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Heather

I can ignore the
fact that the state is governed by the brother of our befuddled
president.

What's your excuse for living where you live??

What's your excuse for being befuddled?

Old September 13th, 2004, 12:42 AM
eüphemism

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

Psychological help? I'm sorry, but there are no treatments for people like
Ted Bundy and such individuals aren't about to seek help under any
circumstances. They are like wolves that hunt among us. We could probably
predict, via genetic testing, whether "serial killer" markers present in an
infant (or just about any other deviant behavioral pattern) are likely lead
to tragic ends in many individuals. What good would that be? You certainly
couldn't act on that information - even if it were shown to be highly
reliable. The only possible action would be to remove those individuals
from society based upon the presumption that they were a danger. We
certainly don't know how to correct the problems.

Seems to me there was a Tom Cruise movie on that sort of topic - predicting
future crimes and arresting the suspect in advance. Great concept....
except that the person is, by definition, not guilty.

I suspect that the future is a little more along the Twilight Zone lines of
being able to detect and predict all sorts of abnormal tendencies or
predispositions and then perform "adjustments" in the womb. The question
then becomes just how monochromatic you want to have your species become as
you achieve the ability to micro-manage your offspring's genetic make-up.
Sure... nobody wants to give birth to a future serial killer. What about
"fixing" children that would be born with emotional problems that would
surely torment them all their lives, but also might produce the next van
Gogh? The random nature of our reproductive process gives us plenty of
rejects, but it also coughs up an occasional Triple 7 like Einstein or da
Vinci.

If you still believe that children are "blank slates" and that all "deviant"
behavior is learned, then there's no point in us chatting. The apparent
role that genetics plays in determining who we become appears to grow with
each passing year and each new discovery.

Old September 13th, 2004, 02:15 AM
HoTShoT

fact that the state is governed by the brother of our befuddled
president.

Were you alive during World War II?

You sound like another sucker listening to the media. Did it ever occur to
you that CNN and Fox news don't know "top secret" events going on around the
world? Or do you think they are privy to that and top ranking cabinet
members are going to tell? Are you really so impressionable that you think
George W. Bush would authorized a war and billions of dollars for cheaper
gasoline? Obviously you are naive. Anyone that thinks it's normal to allow a
dictator who killed tens of thousands of his own people with poison gas is
befuddled. Sadaam a little like the person we fought against in a World War
called Hitler!

Unfortunately to stay safe here, we cannot sit on our hands and let a wacko
build up power and weapons. He was testing the crap out on his own people,
who do you think was next? When a man is as rich and powerful as Sadam or
other leaders, the only thing left to feed the beast is conquering, and we
sir, are the biggest prize of all.

Wake up and smell the coffee and use your brain and think for yourself.