Roadtrip to Canadian Maritimes!

Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Steve

Default Roadtrip to Canadian Maritimes!

Hey folks,
doing a roadtrip to the east coast of Canada (just live north of TO). I'm
looking at going some time in July (not the long weekend...maybe
after)....and I'm looking for some "must-sees".

I don't think I'll be making it to 'the rock' as the ferry ride is too $$
and I think I'll use up most of my time in the smaller provinces!

So, I'm going to do quite a bit of it camping, but will sacrifice a night or
two in a hotel to clean up and play in civilization! I'm itching to do some
kayaking (tour) off of either PEI or Nova Scotia! I'm a beginner but am not
a stranger to it (gotta find my sea-legs for sure though)...any tips on who
to use or where to go?
Cabot trail will be a for sure...the French fort at Louisburg too!

I'm hoping there'll be some Acadian music festivals going on....would love
to check them out as well as some Celtic ones too (I'm from Irish
descent..so it'd be fun!).

Thanks

Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Dave Smith

Steve wrote:

Hey folks,
doing a roadtrip to the east coast of Canada (just live north of TO). I'm
looking at going some time in July (not the long weekend...maybe
after)....and I'm looking for some "must-sees".

I don't think I'll be making it to 'the rock' as the ferry ride is too $$
and I think I'll use up most of my time in the smaller provinces!

So, I'm going to do quite a bit of it camping, but will sacrifice a night or
two in a hotel to clean up and play in civilization! I'm itching to do some
kayaking (tour) off of either PEI or Nova Scotia! I'm a beginner but am not
a stranger to it (gotta find my sea-legs for sure though)...any tips on who
to use or where to go?

You might want to look into reserving camp sites. When I did it (20 years ago) I
had a hard time finding camping sites. A lot of hotels were full too.

Cabot trail will be a for sure...the French fort at Louisburg too!

Schedule at least a full day for the Louisburg fortress.

Try to book a camping site at Bay of Fundy National Park. I would never have
thought that watching the tide go in and out would be entertaining, but when the
tide is about 15 m it is interesting to watch.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Steve

Thanks Dave!
My boss went to PEI last year for a wedding and he gave me some tips on
places to see. He mentioned the Tidal Bore...and basically said it was
exactly what it is listed as...a BORE lol
Apparently it's a 1ft wave that comes rushing up the estuary which is over
in 15minutes!! haha ah well!

Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:58 AM

1. Go around the Cabot Trail
2. Have dinner at Newman's in Annapolis Royal
3. Kayak in Kejamakujak inland and seafront (check maps - you'll find
it)
4. Take the ferry to McNabs Island in Halifax harbour and have some
fish and chips afterwards with a Schooner
5. Spend a lazy day in Lunenburg
6. Visit the pots in Fundy national park
7. Attend a lobster fest in PEI (go to Souris and ferry to the
Magdalens if you have the time).

That should hold you for a decade.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:44 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Ride up the coast a ways east of Halifax on Route 7. Amazingly
beautiful fishing villages, and the seacoast isn't exactly ugly either.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Frank F. Matthews

There is an interesting museum of 1930-50 life.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Frank F. Matthews