Oh Goody - Passports anyone?

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:19 AM

In addition to showing a passport to enter the US, there should be a
requirement to prove a basic I.Q. Those failing on (A) and exceeding on
(B) should be denied access.

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:41 AM
miles

Keith W wrote:

Not from mine they didnt and I entered and exited
several times between 1972 and 1988. I still have those
passports, with all their pages intact

Wonder why they did mine and everyone else in my party. I still have
that old passport and those pages are gone.

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:45 AM
miles

TNSAF wrote:

Negative!

All you need (for now) is a drivers licence (or government issued picture
ID) and a birth certificate.

I travel to the US frequently and have *never* had to show a passport!

I'm aware of what the current regulations are. However, for some reason
they insisted on seeing a passport both in USA and Canada. Bottom line
is that the law says you must prove who you are. Even though it states
a birth certificate is acceptable it does not mean they must accept it
as proof in all cases. They can request more proof.

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:48 AM
miles

TNSAF wrote:

The official requirement is still a drivers licence and since 9/11 the
addition of your birth certificate.

The official requirement is to show proof of citizenship and identity.
Acceptable methods of that are birth certificate but are not limited to
that nor do agents have to accept it. Millions cross the border without
showing a thing and have done so for years. I've never shown even my
drivers license when returning from Mexico. Its at the agents discretion.
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:51 AM
miles

Dave Smith wrote:

I am always amazed that people like you and me can go back and forth across
the border without a passport and have no problem, and then someone comes
along and insists that you need one.

You guys dont read. I said I was required to have one for some reason
when going to Canada recently and returning. I've been to mexico dozens
of times and not even been asked for my drivers license. Bottom line
remains that they can request proof and a birth certificate is not 100%
guaranteed to be accepted as such proof in all cases with all people.

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:55 AM
miles

Canis lupus wrote:

Yes, also considering both the US and Canadian web sites and the signs
posted at the crossings back-up our position.

Traveling by car or foot is much less restrictive than by air. Also
note that an airline isn't bound to border regulations. I believe they
can require whatever they want for ID when boarding within some FAA
guidelines.