Oh Goody - Passports anyone?

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:58 AM
miles

Dave Smith wrote:

Someone posted here recently that he did not think it was much of a
hassle to get a passport. Maybe he likes filling out forms and having
them sworn, paying for pictures, paying for passports, standing in line
etc. If it was only $20 I would consider it a needless waste of time. I
can see this silly requirement as another way to get Americans to spend
their money at home.

Thats a pretty stupid remark. It took me about 15 minutes to file for a
passport and I had it about 3 weeks later. What is so wrong with a
country knowing who enters?
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:01 AM
miles

Dave Smith wrote:

Nope. I have to provide all that documentation in person when I renew every 5
years for $87.

For a US passport that isnt the rules. You only have to show
documentation if the current passport is expired prior to renewel.

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:07 AM
miles

Dave Smith wrote:

Sure did. That was the incident where US news sources were claiming that the
terrorists snuck into the US from Canada the day before the attacks. Then it
turned out that the terrorists had entered the US directly months earlier and had
been living in the US all that time. It also seems that someone must have had
some idea about their activities because they terrorists were all identified
within a day or two.

News media reported all sorts of conflicting reports in the first few
days. That happens with any major event.

Wasn't that also the day that Canadians opened up their homes to accommodate tens
of thousands of Americans and US bound passengers who were stranded when the
border was closed and US air space was shut down (for all but select members of
the bin Laden and other Saudis.... odd since the attack was attributed to Osama
bin Laden and his Saudi al Queda members).

This is a classic statement from the uninformed biased person. The
Laden family did NOT fly out while the air space was restricted. That
is a very over played myth that people like you keep spreading and
believe to be true. Do some research rather than buy into the
politically biased crap.
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Dave Smith

miles wrote:

I'm aware of what the current regulations are. However, for some reason
they insisted on seeing a passport both in USA and Canada. Bottom line
is that the law says you must prove who you are. Even though it states
a birth certificate is acceptable it does not mean they must accept it
as proof in all cases. They can request more proof.

They can ask to see your passport if you have one. But if you have shown that
you are a citizen of a country with which they have a reciprocal exemption from
passport requirements, then you don't have to have one. There is a major
difference between what airline personnel demand and what is legal required at
the point of entry.

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:34 AM
GG

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Nope. I have to provide all that documentation in person when I renew

every 5
years for $87.

Canadians are not required to renew in person anymore. Yes it is still a
hassle to get your photos done and have a guarantor sign, and to have to do
it every FIVE years is an even bigger pain. But at least you can just drop
the application in the mail now and get the passport back in 3 weeks.

GG

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:54 AM
TheNewsGuy

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:07:15 -0700, miles wrote:
This is a classic statement from the uninformed biased person. The
Laden family did NOT fly out while the air space was restricted. ...

Perhaps they did not "fly out" but AT LEAST when all other air
traffic was grounded and American citizens were stranded - Bush
personally and specifically allowed the Bin Laden family to be picked
up around the country by planes with special flight priviledges and
flown "to safety" within the USA - THEN they quickly flew out. That is
enough - AND if they flew out before flights were resumed it wouild
have been even worse. .....

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../04/se.09.html

In any case . . . IT STINKS!!!!!! All those people who could
have answered A LOT of questions were back in Saudi Arabia counting
their oil money... LOL!!!! Bush Fighting Terrorism!!! LOL!!!

+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS