Oh Goody - Passports anyone?

Old April 6th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Gary L. Dare

Dave Smith wrote:

Passports are not required for Americans entering Canada, but I am counting
on reciprocity when the US imposes the passport requirement on Canada.

This shouldn't be marketed by Ottawa as "retaliatory" but as supportive ...
after all, those Americans admitted without a passport would be unable to
get home without a protracted hassle since all passport processing is now
done within the US. Lose a passport abroad and you're given a permit to
get home (that happened to a colleague in Paris last year).

gld

Old April 6th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Gary L. Dare

PTRAVEL wrote:

We've taken a step back in our relations with Canada.

While that's true as a matter of perception (especially from Canada),
the minimum requirement for American citizens is to return with a
US passport ... or else. That sets the floor for everybody else. )-;

The problem is one of custom ... less than a quarter of Americans
have passports (which is better than 1 out of 6 in Congress (-.
Sabres and Red Wings fans following their team on the road to
Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal ... Microsoft taking customers on
a road trip to the Canucks game in Vancouver, BC ... that will
be a lot harder.

And don't forget that the Canadians who will have to get passports,
will realize that they can use them to go elsewhere ... Driving down
to Minneapolis from Winnipeg to the Mall of Americas is convenient
but in the same amount of time, you can be in Bermuda or Dublin ...

gld

Old April 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM
André Somers

PTRAVEL wrote:

EU citizens don't have to have a passport to travel
between EU countries.

No, we either need a special European Identity Card or a passport. A drivers
licence or other ID will *not* suffice. What's mo you're even requiered
to carry an ID with you at all times here in the Netherlands.

André

Old April 6th, 2005, 11:04 AM
André Somers

Henry wrote:

I'm surprised they'd deface
an official government document like that.

Indeed--especially since such defacing immediately invalidates the
passport.

What a nonsence. A passport (well, mine anyway) has special pages *designed*
for this "defacing". The majority of the pages in our passport is reserved
for visa stamps and the likes of that.

André

Old April 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Icono Clast

Claim Guy wrote:
U.S. to Require Passports for Canada, Mexico Travel

What's the problem? I wouldn't dream of leaving my country without
legal assurance of going home.

I've been to Mexico and Canada several times, each (since becoming an
adult) with a passport.
Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Keith W

"miles" wrote in message
Rog' wrote:

I do not understand the reluctance of U.S. travelers to obtain and
use passports. While a bit pricey, they're good for 10 years and
are much more convenient than other forms of documentation.
Besides, you can collect those neat stamps. =R=

Depends on where you go. Years ago when I visited Russia, the pages were
torn out as I left Russia. Not sure why they did that.

In the time of the USSR the visa was a separate document that
you presented with your passport. It had separate entry and
exit sections. As you progressed through the airport on exit
they tore pages out of the visa (NOT your passport) to stop
you posting it to someone else who might try and exit using it.

Keith

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Keith W

"André Somers" wrote in message
Henry wrote:

I'm surprised they'd deface
an official government document like that.

Indeed--especially since such defacing immediately invalidates the
passport.

What a nonsence. A passport (well, mine anyway) has special pages
*designed*
for this "defacing". The majority of the pages in our passport is reserved
for visa stamps and the likes of that.

André

He was talking about tearing pages out of a passport.

Missing pages are guaranteed to get you an interview
with immigration officials as they immediately assume
its been torn out to hide the fact that you were deported.

Keith