UK accents

Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Tim Challenger

On 22 Aug 2005 06:06:25 -0700, wrote:

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy wrote:
Martin wrote:

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:55:57 +0100,

(chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy) wrote:

Joe Pessarra wrote:

[]
My wife and I love to visit England, and we really like British TV
shows and series. We solved our inability to catch some fast speaking
with accents by putting our TV on closed caption. We like the accents,
but were missing some important parts of the shows.

I know that when Trainspotting was shown in US cinemas, it was often
(though not always) shown with subtitles. I've seen UK programmes
sometimes use subtitles with regional _UK_ accents! (Usually
documentaries etc.)

I have to have my cousin in Northumberland to slow down a little in
speaking sometimes because of his Geordie accent.

Ah. There's a useful educational publication in the UK which helps
visitors learn Geordie. More info at

www.viz.co.uk

" How lucky for the mystery man found wandering on the Isle of Sheppey
that he was a virtuoso on the piano. Had he been a maestro on the
cymbals and stood clashing them together all day, I doubt his carers
would have been as impressed.
J Thorne, Newcastle"

Heh. 'Piano man' was another brilliant example of the media peddling
rumours. First of all, he was a 'virtuoso' pianist, then he only played
with one hand, then only with one finger, then only one note. He was
Czech, or was it Norwegian, or maybe French? No, he's from Bavaria
apparently. Maybe they should just have shut up?

we used to watch Rab C Nesbitt with the sub-titles on

Me too.
And Billy Conolly, in the early days.
--
Tim C.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Karen Selwyn

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy wrote:

"Staff at Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham gave the tall, blonde
man a pen and paper in the hope he would write his name or draw his
country's flag."

Think about it, folks!

Was he wearing one red shoe?

Karen Selwyn

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:12 PM
a.spencer3

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:27:04 +0100,
(chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy) wrote:

The BBC is collecting examples of many local UK accents and dialects,
and putting them on its website-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/

It's not comprehensive, obviously, but there's a lot of interesting
stuff there nevertheless. Might help some visitors to the UK too!

and might put some off!

--
Martin

My wife and I love to visit England, and we really like British TV shows

and
series. We solved our inability to catch some fast speaking with accents

by
putting our TV on closed caption. We like the accents, but were missing
some important parts of the shows.

I have to have my cousin in Northumberland to slow down a little in

speaking
sometimes because of his Geordie accent. My hearing is not the best

either,
even with hearing aids.

On a business trip to Pennsylvania I (from Surrey) literally had to
translate for my Paisley (Scotland) colleague, bwtween him and the
Pennsylvanians!

Surreyman

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Thomas

[...]

we used to watch Rab C Nesbitt with the sub-titles on

That was the episode when he went to London. Whenever a Londoner spoke,
subtitles in broard Glaswegian appeared.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
James Silverton

a.spencer3 wrote on Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:12:11 GMT:

a "Joe Pessarra" wrote in
a message news:zSiOe.847$UI.234@okepread05...
?? I have to have my cousin in Northumberland to slow down a
?? little in
a speaking
?? sometimes because of his Geordie accent. My hearing is
?? not the best
a either,
?? even with hearing aids.
??
a On a business trip to Pennsylvania I (from Surrey) literally
a had to translate for my Paisley (Scotland) colleague,
a bwtween him and the Pennsylvanians!

British accents and dialect expressions can be a real problem
even for British people. I was brought up in the little
West-coast town of Oban, about 90 miles from Glasgow. Altho' I
had visited Glasgow many times, I found understanding local
people very difficult when I first went there to attend college.
It took about a week before my ear was attuned to accents and
speech patterns. However, I went back there recently and was
pleased to find that I had not lost my ability to understand
people in the street.

James Silverton, Potomac Maryland.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
FDM

Martin wrote:

and might put some off!

I certainly won't go to Shetland without a translator