Rhine/Main/Danube river conditions right now?

Old August 24th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Bert Hyman

Default Rhine/Main/Danube river conditions right now?

I haven't seen the kind of TV coverage this year as in previous
years, so the little blurb in this morning's paper about flooding in
southern Europe caught me by surprise.

We're heading off on a Uniworld Amsterdam-Vienna cruise soon, and
while we seem to be headed out of the immediately affected area, does
anybody have current info, or a source for it?

Of course there's nothing we can do about it, but maybe it will take
our minds off of worrying whether Northwest Airlines will actually
get us there.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Keith W

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
I haven't seen the kind of TV coverage this year as in previous
years, so the little blurb in this morning's paper about flooding in
southern Europe caught me by surprise.

We're heading off on a Uniworld Amsterdam-Vienna cruise soon, and
while we seem to be headed out of the immediately affected area, does
anybody have current info, or a source for it?

http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=danu...&sa=N&tab =wn

Keith

Old August 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Bert Hyman schrieb:
I haven't seen the kind of TV coverage this year as in previous
years, so the little blurb in this morning's paper about flooding in
southern Europe caught me by surprise.

We're heading off on a Uniworld Amsterdam-Vienna cruise soon, and
while we seem to be headed out of the immediately affected area, does
anybody have current info, or a source for it?

Of course there's nothing we can do about it, but maybe it will take
our minds off of worrying whether Northwest Airlines will actually
get us there.

The airports of Vienna/Munich/Frankfurt will not be flooded. There will
be high water at Regensburg/Passau and more locations on the Danube.
http://www.welt.de/data/2004/01/14/223203.html

There seem to be fewer problems on the Rhine. Flying to and starting
from Amsterdam will take a while, so most problems on the Danube might
be gone before your arrival, besides damaged buildings.

Regards, ULF
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Ingeborg Denner

"Bert Hyman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I haven't seen the kind of TV coverage this year as in previous
years, so the little blurb in this morning's paper about flooding in
southern Europe caught me by surprise.

We're heading off on a Uniworld Amsterdam-Vienna cruise soon, and
while we seem to be headed out of the immediately affected area, does
anybody have current info, or a source for it?

This source is in German, but as it's mostly names, numbers and
graphics, it's pretty self-explanatory.

Water levels, listed from upriver to downriver:
(the pale green line means: higher than that - no ships.)

Danube:
http://www.elwis.de/gewaesserkunde/Wasserstaende/wasserstaendeUebersichtGrafik.html.php?gw=DONAU.
High and rising.

Rhine:
http://www.elwis.de/gewaesserkunde/Wasserstaende/wasserstaendeUebersichtGrafik.html.php?gw=RHEIN
.. Upriver high, but falling, Mid- and Lowriver low, but
rising. Doesn't seem to be rising to problematic levels, though. (The
red dots are projections for the next day.)

Main:
http://www.elwis.de/gewaesserkunde/Wasserstaende/wasserstaendeUebersichtGrafik.html.php?gw=MAIN.
Low, stable.

Main-Danube channel:
http://www.elwis.de/gewaesserkunde/Wasserstaende/wasserstaendeUebersichtGrafik.html.php?gw=MDK.
Medium low, stable.

You can look up places he
http://www.elwis.de/gewaesserkunde/Wasserstaende/Karte/index.html

hth,

inge

Old August 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Bert Hyman

(Ulf Kutzner) wrote in
:

The airports of Vienna/Munich/Frankfurt will not be flooded. There
will be high water at Regensburg/Passau and more locations on the
Danube.
http://www.welt.de/data/2004/01/14/223203.html

This article appears to be from January 2004.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:53 AM
erilar

In article , Bert Hyman
wrote:

As I said, something to take my mind off of worrying about the
Northwest Airlines mechanic's strike :-)

That COULD be a problem. I quit flying NW long and long ago for other
reasons, however.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument
is that reason doesn't count. Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Bert Hyman

In erilar
wrote:

In article , Bert Hyman
wrote:

As I said, something to take my mind off of worrying about the
Northwest Airlines mechanic's strike :-)

That COULD be a problem. I quit flying NW long and long ago for other
reasons, however.

It's almost impossible to get out of Minneapolis any other way and I've
never been seriously inconvenienced by them. But in this case the cruise
company, Uniworld, booked me on KLM, which in its North American
incarnation is Northwest.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Keith Anderson

On 24 Aug 2005 13:31:24 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

I haven't seen the kind of TV coverage this year as in previous
years, so the little blurb in this morning's paper about flooding in
southern Europe caught me by surprise.

We're heading off on a Uniworld Amsterdam-Vienna cruise soon, and
while we seem to be headed out of the immediately affected area, does
anybody have current info, or a source for it?

Of course there's nothing we can do about it, but maybe it will take
our minds off of worrying whether Northwest Airlines will actually
get us there.

I worked on a Danube cruise last week (Passau - Melk - Esztergom -
Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna - Dürnstein - Passau).

The ship was due to cruise this week from Passau via the Main - Donau
Canal and the River Main to the Rhine.

Just this minute spoken to a colleague who tells me the ship is stuck
at Deggendorf, as the water level is exceptionally high and it cannot
get under the bridge there.

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old August 25th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Bert Hyman schrieb:

(Ulf Kutzner) wrote in
:

The airports of Vienna/Munich/Frankfurt will not be flooded. There
will be high water at Regensburg/Passau and more locations on the
Danube.
http://www.welt.de/data/2004/01/14/223203.html

This article appears to be from January 2004.

Grrr/ooops. My mistake. However, I did follow radia/TV news. Big
problems at Kelheim, no major problems yet on the Rhine.

Regards, ULF