Peugeot/Renault Eurolease/Eurodrive

Old November 13th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Craig

Default Peugeot/Renault Eurolease/Eurodrive

Has anyone here travelled the EU by car? I'm not going until September '06,
but any tips/suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig

Old November 13th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Craig

Basically a clockwise route: - France - Belgium - Netherlands - Germany -
Switzerland - France

If I can coax a bit more time off work, then Czech Republic, Austria and
Italy too.

Cheers,
Craig
wrote in message
In article ,

*From:* "Craig"
*Date:* Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:34:48 +1300

Has anyone here travelled the EU by car? I'm not going until September
'06, but any tips/suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

What route do you have in mind?

The poster formerly known as
.

Old November 13th, 2005, 05:58 AM
David Bennetts

"Craig" wrote in message
Has anyone here travelled the EU by car? I'm not going until September
'06, but any tips/suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig

There's some useful advice at
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...eas/index.html on motoring
requirements in various countries. Also the Michelin trip planners and
guides are very useful: www.michelin.com
A few tips from me: Motorway fuel stations are generally more expensive
than those in towns, and the food served in them is often highly priced and
of mediocre quality. Travelling on motorways is generally faster than lesser
roads, but you get nothing like the scenery and atmosphere of back roads.
Motorways can be expensive in many countries, tolls in France for example
are quite substantial. Other countries require you to purchase a Vignette
if you intend to travel on motorways.
And be aware to take precautions against theft of your possessions, don't
leave valuables in view (or even in the car if possible) and remove the
contents of your car when staying at overnight accommodation.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old November 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM
JuanElorza

David Bennetts wrote:
"Craig" wrote in message

[...]

Do not forget to ask for an automatic transmission if you are used to
it, as 90% of cars come with mechanical gears. On the contrary, it is
not because the car is small that it is necessarily under motorized.
Many small cars speed run at 200 km/h or more and climb easily the
mountains. Speed limit vary from one country to the other but is
generally 120-130km/h on motorways 80-90 on roads, 50 in towns.

Old November 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:34:48 +1300, "Craig"
wrote:

Has anyone here travelled the EU by car? I'm not going until September '06,
but any tips/suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig

What would you like to know?

We used the Eurodrive lease system for a Renault Clio turbo
diesel manual, over 62 days and 11000km in Apr-Jun 2003.

Nice-Menton-Italy-Greece-Venice-Austria-Czech-Germany-Switzerland
-France-Benelux-Germany-Paris.

Magic little car, great system.

Doing it again next year, but only 42 days this time.

I presume as you are a Kiwi, manual isn't a problem?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Duncan Craig

We recently completed a 23-day road trip in France, Germany, Switzerland &
Austria. We did not use Eurolease or similar, we used a rental car instead.
I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Old November 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Frank Clarke

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:54:39 +0100, JuanElorza
wrote:

Do not forget to ask for an automatic transmission if you are used to
it, as 90% of cars come with mechanical gears. On the contrary, it is
not because the car is small that it is necessarily under motorized.
Many small cars speed run at 200 km/h or more and climb easily the
mountains. Speed limit vary from one country to the other but is
generally 120-130km/h on motorways 80-90 on roads, 50 in towns.

We had a FIAT Panda in May-June of this year. It was --not-- one of those cars
that "climb easily the mountains" and 200 kph was well beyond the capacity of
its minuscule engine -- the road to Chamonix nearly killed it. The diesel
Renault Scenic we had in 2001 was much closer to my idea of "transportation".

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Craig

"Craig" wrote in message
Has anyone here travelled the EU by car? I'm not going until September
'06, but any tips/suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig

I was just after anything in general, really (I've never been to the
Continent). My language skills are sketchy at best, but I'll have a
phrasebook, and I'm told that English will usually get you by in Europe
anyway. I'm working on +/- 100EUR/day for accommodation and fuel. I don't
want to have *every* little thing mapped out, as I would like to spend time
in any place I may like, without having to cut it short because I have to be
at such-and-such 200km away - would much rather stop over where I want, at
least to some extent (gotta have *some* spontaneity). I'm going by myself
and I won't be dining on haute cuisine :-)

Cheers,
Craig

Old November 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Frank Clarke

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:42:38 +1300, "Craig" wrote:

I was just after anything in general, really (I've never been to the
Continent). My language skills are sketchy at best, but I'll have a
phrasebook, and I'm told that English will usually get you by in Europe
anyway. I'm working on +/- 100EUR/day for accommodation and fuel. I don't
want to have *every* little thing mapped out, as I would like to spend time
in any place I may like, without having to cut it short because I have to be
at such-and-such 200km away - would much rather stop over where I want, at
least to some extent (gotta have *some* spontaneity). I'm going by myself
and I won't be dining on haute cuisine :-)

That's the best way to travel. You're going to have a great time.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)