Insider's tips on cultural and alternative tours in South Africa

Old November 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected][_1_]

Default Insider's tips on cultural and alternative tours in South Africa

I've worked in the tourism industry in S Africa as a consultant for
years now and I've recently started a blog to help international
visitors discover South African cultures and alternative experiences in
ways that are authentic, credible, safe, legitimate, fair and
respectful.

Every day I work with people and organizations who are changing the
face of South African tourism. I get paid by the hour or project to
help improve and transform tourism in the country. On the blog I've got
no agendas, no sales pitches -- I'm just frustrated that more people
don't have the chance to see South Africa the way I've seen it...and
finally I'm doing something about it. I don't get commission or make
any money from the links or recommendations I make.

http://afrikatourism.blogspot.com

An example of a recent posting included six tips for picking a township
tour, and upcoming posts will draw from work my consulting group is
doing on a project up in Kamiesberg (Namaqualand) with the local Nama
community, as well as a trip I'll be making to the West Coast Fossil
Park where I've been involved for years. We're working on sacred sites
in Limpopo and have been contracted to work with the King of Eastern
Pondoland on a Xhosa heritage site in the Eastern Cape.

Feel free to send me questions about people, places, itineraries,
cultures, things to do, ways to travel -- whatever you'd like to know.
I'll do my best to give you an answer, and with dozens of trusted
contacts across the country, from academics to tour guides to sangomas
to travel agents and more, I'll tell you where I got the information,
what facts back it up, where to get more information, and what my
personal suggestions would be.

If you e-mail me directly, let me know that the question comes through
rec.travel.africa (Google Groups) and I'll post the question and answer
here. I'll also be lurking about in the group and will do my best to
pitch in as best I'm able.

Happy travels

Kurt

http://afrikatourism.blogspot.com