Indonesia - visa on arrival

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Indonesia - visa on arrival

I have round-trip tickets between N. America and S'pore. From there,
my plan is to fly into Medan, take ferry to Penang, and get back to
S'pore using ground transportation.

How do I get the visa @Medan airport? According to the instructions, I
need to show ticket of leaving that country. Anybody had done similar
in the past?

Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On May 22, 4:02 am, wrote:
I have round-trip tickets between N. America and S'pore. From there,
my plan is to fly into Medan, take ferry to Penang, and get back to
S'pore using ground transportation.

How do I get the visa @Medan airport? According to the instructions, I
need to show ticket of leaving that country. Anybody had done similar
in the past?

Are you American? The last time I was in Indonesia Americans weren't
eligible for "Visa On Arrival". You had to get the visa before you
came to Indonesia. Pay back for US visa policies for Indonesians.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On May 21, 8:16 pm, Tchiowa wrote:
On May 22, 4:02 am, wrote:

I have round-trip tickets between N. America and S'pore. From there,
my plan is to fly into Medan, take ferry to Penang, and get back to
S'pore using ground transportation.

How do I get the visa @Medan airport? According to the instructions, I
need to show ticket of leaving that country. Anybody had done similar
in the past?

Are you American? The last time I was in Indonesia Americans weren't
eligible for "Visa On Arrival". You had to get the visa before you
came to Indonesia. Pay back for US visa policies for Indonesians.

Canadian...

Per embassy's website, "Exit airline ticket or on-going ticket" needs
to be presented at the port of entry.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Miguel Cruz[_2_]

Tchiowa wrote:
Are you American? The last time I was in Indonesia Americans weren't
eligible for "Visa On Arrival". You had to get the visa before you
came to Indonesia. Pay back for US visa policies for Indonesians.

When was that?

From 1994 (the first time I went there) and most likely earlier, until
about 2004, Americans received a free 60-day stamp on arrival.

After that, Americans were required to pay for a stamp when they landed.
The prices have changed, but at the moment it's $10 for one week or $25
for one month.

Definitely since 1994 there has been no period when Americans arriving
at major entry points (including Medan airport) required a visa in
advance for tourist visits of one month or less.

To answer the original poster's question, show them your ticket home
from Singapore and explain your plans. That will be fine. In the worst
case, someone might try to fish for a few bucks, but there's no need to
pay.

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Are you American? The last time I was in Indonesia Americans weren't
eligible for "Visa On Arrival". You had to get the visa before you
came to Indonesia. Pay back for US visa policies for Indonesians.

When was that?

At least for Austrians the visa regulation was changed recently. I think
it was 2005, so the last time I was in Indonesia I had to apply for a
Visa outside the country ... at check in they didn't take you on the
plane without valid visa ..

Manfred
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"Manfred Aigner" ha scritto nel messaggio
t...
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Are you American? The last time I was in Indonesia Americans weren't
eligible for "Visa On Arrival". You had to get the visa before you
came to Indonesia. Pay back for US visa policies for Indonesians.

When was that?

At least for Austrians the visa regulation was changed recently. I think
it was 2005, so the last time I was in Indonesia I had to apply for a Visa
outside the country ... at check in they didn't take you on the plane
without valid visa ..

Manfred

most European countries get Visa on Arrival.
a Latvian friend had though to get a visa before..
it was 35 dollars and a few minutes.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

tile wrote:
[..]
most European countries get Visa on Arrival.
a Latvian friend had though to get a visa before..
it was 35 dollars and a few minutes.

Well, at least for Austria and Slovenia I can state that it is not any
more the case ... also for short time visits (less than 30 days)

Before 2004 it was easy to get a visa on arrival ...

Manfred
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Nick

wrote in news:1179781364.570185.222530
@y2g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have round-trip tickets between N. America and S'pore. From there,
my plan is to fly into Medan, take ferry to Penang, and get back to
S'pore using ground transportation.

How do I get the visa @Medan airport? According to the instructions, I
need to show ticket of leaving that country. Anybody had done similar
in the past?

Here's a list of countries and territories under the VOA facility and a
list of VOA facilities in Indonesia:
http://www.indonesia.nl/articles.php...&art_cat_id=29
I have travelled from Penang to Medan by ferry and held a round-trip ticket
AMS to BKK, I had no problems at all getting a VOA (back in 2002).
BTW the ferry was reasonable clean and fast as I recall, Medan was at best
okay, the places I really enjoyed were places like Berstagi, Lake Toba,
Bukit Lawang, and Bukkitingi.

Good luck,

Nick
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Nick

Nick wrote in
:

wrote in news:1179781364.570185.222530
@y2g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have round-trip tickets between N. America and S'pore. From there,
my plan is to fly into Medan, take ferry to Penang, and get back to
S'pore using ground transportation.

How do I get the visa @Medan airport? According to the instructions,
I need to show ticket of leaving that country. Anybody had done
similar in the past?

Here's a list of countries and territories under the VOA facility and
a list of VOA facilities in Indonesia:
http://www.indonesia.nl/articles.php...&art_cat_id=29
I have travelled from Penang to Medan by ferry and held a round-trip
ticket AMS to BKK, I had no problems at all getting a VOA (back in
2002).

Just a minor correction, it could also have been that I didn't need a
visa at all at that time.

BTW the ferry was reasonable clean and fast as I recall, Medan
was at best okay, the places I really enjoyed were places like
Berstagi, Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang, and Bukkitingi.

Good luck,

Nick

The Indonesian government is (was?) planning to extend VOA to a couple of
other countries according to this article:
http://www.indonesia-ottawa.org/info...n/details.php?
type=news_copy&id=4034