Indonesia - visa on arrival

Old May 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

Default Indonesia - visa on arrival

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Sorry, but I can believe it. It seemed to be worse for Ireland for a
while.
Irish people could not get visas in Ireland, but I was told that the
London
Indonesian embassy was saying that they would only issue visas to UK
citizens and residents, i.e. not most Irish people. I don't know what the
solution was. I assume the London embassy eventually started issuing
visas
to the Irish. Maybe some people had to get them through France etc., or
maybe in transit in Singapore.

Ireland and the UK also have different currencies, though at least both
speak English.

I have lived in Indonesia for years and this nonsense does not surprise
me
unfortunately.

Do the Indonesians realise that by requiring visas from citizens of
European countries they hamper their tourist sector? They should try to
get as many (wealthy) tourists as possible.
--

I agree it does not help the tourist business, especially that of
backpackers who tend to visit more remote areas.

I doubt if a $25 visa charge is a deterrent to wealthy tourists but it may
be to backpackers, weekenders from Singapore etc.
The standard 30 day visa-on-arrival replacing the 60 day one was probably
more of a deterrent to backpackers as 30 days really is not enough for an
overland trip through the country.

But Indonesia is not the only country in the region with such a visa scheme.
At least Cambodia and Laos have similar systems, and China has more
stringent visa requirements, also Vietnam and Myanmar I think.

Old May 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"RAK" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .

[...]

you are right. Vietnam and Myanmar do not give Visa on arrival. even if
Vietnam allows peopel to get a visa on arrival with papers sent from a
local travel agency.

Old May 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On May 21, 10:02 pm, wrote:
I have round-trip tickets between N. America and S'pore. From there,
my plan is to fly into Medan, take ferry to Penang, and get back to
S'pore using ground transportation.

How do I get the visa @Medan airport? According to the instructions, I
need to show ticket of leaving that country. Anybody had done similar
in the past?

An alternative option would be to travel from Singapore to Penang by
bus/train or plane. In Penang buy a return flight ticket to Medan.
There are many travel agents on Chulia street that sell flights to
Medan, also check the agents in Prangin mall and Komtar. You can
check with the Indonesian embassy at Penang about current visa rules.
If you need to, you can apply for the sixty day visa there. The visa
usually takes a few days to be issued.

You won't miss anything by flying to Medan rather than taking the
ferry. A trip from Medan to Penang by ferry ranges from the boring to
the uncomfortable depending on sea conditions.

Jaz
http://www.dharssi.org.uk/

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On May 27, 8:30 am, wrote:
On May 21, 10:02 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hi, I'm the original poster. Thanks to all for taking time to give
answers/suggestions.

Called the visa officer in Ottawa and got the following:

1. Yes, in theory, ticket needs to be shown when applying for VOA
2. My ticket home from S'pore can be considered as "on-going ticket"
as long as it's 30 days from the date I seek entry.

Now I've another question. On my way there, I fly into SIN around
midnight, but have to be in Medan the next day. Direct fly by Silkair
is quite costly. I'm thinking Air Asia (JHB - KUL - MES) as an
alternative. But it leaves JHB early in the morning ( like 7h00). Is
using a taxi my only viable choice from SIN to JHB?