Back from Kenya and Zanzibar

Old September 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
rydale

Default Back from Kenya and Zanzibar

Hi all

Made it - another great trip to Kenya and Zanzibar, this time to celebrate
our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
Went out at the end of July for a couple of weeks and managed Samburu (rain
( ) , Mt Kenya lodge, Lake Nakuru and the Mara (migration had only just
arrived, so relatively low numbers).
A few days in Stonetown Zanzibar on top.

Magic - wasn't our first time and suspect it won't be the last !!!

Its taken a while to et teh photos organised (over 3,000 this time) but
there's now a fair selection here -
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Wildvi...7KenyaZanzibar

There are one or two birds etc which I haven't identified, so help would be
appreciated!

Any q's etc let me know.

Regards

Charles

Old September 9th, 2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , rydale
writes
Hi all

Made it - another great trip to Kenya and Zanzibar, this time to celebrate
our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
Went out at the end of July for a couple of weeks and managed Samburu (rain
( ) , Mt Kenya lodge, Lake Nakuru and the Mara (migration had only just
arrived, so relatively low numbers).
A few days in Stonetown Zanzibar on top.

Magic - wasn't our first time and suspect it won't be the last !!!

Its taken a while to et teh photos organised (over 3,000 this time) but
there's now a fair selection here -
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Wildvi...7KenyaZanzibar

There are one or two birds etc which I haven't identified, so help would be
appreciated!

Any q's etc let me know.

Regards

Charles

Hi Charles,
I`m glad you had such a lovely safari, I`ve just had a look at your
photos and having been to all the places, including the Serena Inn on
Zanzibar, it brought back memories!
As for the unidentified birds, I`m sure Liz will appear here soon with
an answer!
You mentioned that there wasn`t any game on the menu at The Carnivore,
as I understand it there was some that was farmed by David Hopcraft
and probably other people, so I don`t know what happened there, perhaps
Hans Georg may know.
Regards,
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:44:12 GMT, rydale wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Wildvi...7KenyaZanzibar

Nice photos! Thanks!

Two minor corrections:

maribou - marabou (often also spelled: marabu)

brown hyena - spotted hyena (often also spelled: hyaena)

Four hyaena species exist today. For more information have a
look at Kay Holekamp's web site at
http://hyenas.zoology.msu.edu:8081/ .

She currently does field studies on hyaenas in Masai Mara.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
"rydale" wrote:

There are one or two birds etc which I haven't identified, so help would be
appreciated!

Nice pics, especially the Cheetahs.

OK, some bird IDs:
31: Common Bulbul
32: Nubian Woodpecker
43: Rosy-patched Bush-Shrike
44: Black-faced Sandgrouse
166: not Sandgrouse, but White-bellied Bustard.

Slainte

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos

Old September 10th, 2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz Leyden
writes
In message
"rydale" wrote:

There are one or two birds etc which I haven't identified, so help would be
appreciated!

Nice pics, especially the Cheetahs.

OK, some bird IDs:
31: Common Bulbul
32: Nubian Woodpecker
43: Rosy-patched Bush-Shrike
44: Black-faced Sandgrouse
166: not Sandgrouse, but White-bellied Bustard.

Slainte

Liz

Charles,
I knew Liz would know the bird names!
Liz, weren`t the photos great? Brought back memories for me of all the
Serena hotels and lodges Charles and his wife stayed in.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Safari Adict

rydale:
Hi all

Made it - another great trip to Kenya and Zanzibar, this time to celebrate
our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
Went out at the end of July for a couple of weeks and managed Samburu (rain
( ) , Mt Kenya lodge, Lake Nakuru and the Mara (migration had only just
arrived, so relatively low numbers).
A few days in Stonetown Zanzibar on top.

Magic - wasn't our first time and suspect it won't be the last !!!

Its taken a while to et teh photos organised (over 3,000 this time) but
there's now a fair selection here -
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Wildvi...7KenyaZanzibar

There are one or two birds etc which I haven't identified, so help would be
appreciated!

Any q's etc let me know.

Regards

Charles

Hi Charles,
I've enjoyed your photos a lot :-) Thanks for sharing!
Just returned a week ago from Kenya and Zanzibar journey also and
decided to share my photos too. Kenya album is he

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/safari.adict.2/Kenya2007

Any comments more than welcome.

Regards,
Tad

PS. Zanzibar follows.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Safari Adict
writes
[...]

Tad,
thank you so much for taking the time to put your wonderful photos here
for us to see, it was especially nice to see the "people" photos as well
as the ones of the animals. I look forward to the Zanzibar ones too.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Safari Adict

Pat Anderson pisze:
[...]

Thanks Pat,
Regarding Zanzibar, here you go:
http://picasaweb.google.com/safari.adict.2/Zanzibar2007
Enjoy, Tad
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
rydale

Thanks for all the comments and help with identifications.
Hadn't realised we had a serious birder on board!

Corrections now done.

2 species left to sort out -
Eagle on pic 61
Lizard on pic 33

We did think the Serena lodges were worth the (small) extra cost from last
time.
Sparkling wine for breakfast did it for me!

About the Carnivore, as I understand it the government thought it gave out
the wrong message, both to tourists (ie 'its okay to eat the wildlife') and
to the locals, who are of course not allowed to hunt the game in the parks.
So although it was farmed, you can't eat the game there anymore.
A pity as I was quite partial to a bit of hartebeest.

Rgds all

Charles

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message
In message , Liz Leyden
writes

Old September 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , rydale
writes

"rydale" wrote:

There are one or two birds etc which I haven't identified, so help would
be
appreciated!

Nice pics, especially the Cheetahs.

OK, some bird IDs:
31: Common Bulbul
32: Nubian Woodpecker
43: Rosy-patched Bush-Shrike
44: Black-faced Sandgrouse
166: not Sandgrouse, but White-bellied Bustard.

Slainte

Liz

Charles,
I knew Liz would know the bird names!
Liz, weren`t the photos great? Brought back memories for me of all the
Serena hotels and lodges Charles and his wife stayed in.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

Thanks Charles,
Liz is a serious birder! If it were safe to go, the lower Tana river
area where we were for three years in the early eighties, has about 140
species of birds I think somebody recorded and spotted ( sorry Liz if
jargon is wrong! ) As for the game being unavailable at the Carnivore,
that is a shame, I loved the taste of some barbecued antelope I once
had in Nigeria. I used to enjoy going to the Carnivore.
I agree with you about the Serena lodges and hotels, they are good, were
you cold at the Zanzibar one with the really cool air conditioning like
we were?
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson