How safe is Jerusalem?

Old March 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

Default How safe is Jerusalem?

On Mar 19, 4:41*pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
How dangerous is it for tourists to visit Jerusalem at the moment?
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

It's about this (hands apart about 1 ft) safe, or maybe this (hands
apart about 1.5 ft) safe.
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article 6f2284fc-c479-4c79-bc4a-303948b53d21
@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com, PeterL says...

It's about this (hands apart about 1 ft) safe, or maybe this (hands
apart about 1.5 ft) safe.

Did I put a stupid question or what? Or is it forbidden to ask in a
travel forum how the security situation in a country is?
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Mar 20, 10:15*am, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article 6f2284fc-c479-4c79-bc4a-303948b53d21
@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com, PeterL says...

It's about this (hands apart about 1 ft) safe, or maybe this (hands
apart about 1.5 ft) safe.

Did I put a stupid question or what? Or is it forbidden to ask in a
travel forum how the security situation in a country is?
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

How is anyone supposed to answer that question? On a scale of 1 to
10, it is this safe? No one is putting out a travel warning like
Mexico, so it is safer than Mexico.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Steve Cain

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1064.html

Old March 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article fb945c20-205f-4943-95f1-05dd4f072971
@v25g2000pro.googlegroups.com, PeterL says...

How is anyone supposed to answer that question? On a scale of 1 to
10, it is this safe? No one is putting out a travel warning like
Mexico, so it is safer than Mexico.

For instance by posting a link with up-to-date information like Steve
Cain did for instance. Or, if you have been there recently, by reporting
a bit about the situation there (I got such a reply in the Italian
newsgroup from tile, who has recently been there).
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Mar 20, 5:20*pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article fb945c20-205f-4943-95f1-05dd4f072971
@v25g2000pro.googlegroups.com, PeterL says...

How is anyone supposed to answer that question? *On a scale of 1 to
10, it is this safe? *No one is putting out a travel warning like
Mexico, so it is safer than Mexico.

For instance by posting a link with up-to-date information like Steve
Cain did for instance. Or, if you have been there recently, by reporting
a bit about the situation there (I got such a reply in the Italian
newsgroup from tile, who has recently been there).
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

Having been there recently means absolutely nothing. I have a friend
who was in Egypt several years ago. The place he went to had a
terrorist attack just before he got there and some Japanese tourists
were killed. Then after he left another attack and some German
tourists were killed. He was perfectly safe.
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:29 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 01:20:23 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article fb945c20-205f-4943-95f1-05dd4f072971
, PeterL says...

How is anyone supposed to answer that question? On a scale of 1 to
10, it is this safe? No one is putting out a travel warning like
Mexico, so it is safer than Mexico.

For instance by posting a link with up-to-date information like Steve
Cain did for instance. Or, if you have been there recently, by reporting
a bit about the situation there (I got such a reply in the Italian
newsgroup from tile, who has recently been there).

Jerusalem is normally every bit as safe as any other city in the
world. The only problem would be if you happen to be in the wrong
place at the wrong time should a suicide bomber decide to blow himself
up while you're there. Nobody here can predict if or when that is
going to happen, so the question is almost impossible to answer.

Chris
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...
wrote:

In article fb945c20-205f-4943-95f1-05dd4f072971
, PeterL says...

How is anyone supposed to answer that question? On a scale of 1 to
10, it is this safe? No one is putting out a travel warning like
Mexico, so it is safer than Mexico.

For instance by posting a link with up-to-date information like Steve
Cain did for instance. Or, if you have been there recently, by reporting
a bit about the situation there (I got such a reply in the Italian
newsgroup from tile, who has recently been there).

Jerusalem is normally every bit as safe as any other city in the
world. The only problem would be if you happen to be in the wrong
place at the wrong time should a suicide bomber decide to blow himself
up while you're there. Nobody here can predict if or when that is
going to happen, so the question is almost impossible to answer.

That's right. There are suicide bombers everywhere. Here in Espoo one must
be alert about them all the time.

Old March 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

PeterL wrote:
[...]

well. I have been there a few weeks ago. In effect I had Midnight Mass in
Nazareth.. and there was a CNN camera in the church.
Of course. danger can be everywhere. but checks in Israel are severe and
expecially in Jerusalem there are patrols of police and army everywhere
besides. the town is well divided into etnichal quartiers. and to pass from
one to the other you have to go through an Airport Type check. For example.
if you want to go and see the Famous wall of Sigh..
I would say terrorist attacks can be everywhere ( there were two terrorist
attacks in Yemen a few days go against Korean tourists) but of all the
countries of the world.. I guess Israel is one of the safest.
I forgot there are checks at Train and bus stations. at the main hotels'
entrances and at the main supermarkets' entrances.-
Actually. when I was travelling by train. the train was stopped at a small
station. All the people had to get out and there was a Police check on all
the coaches.
I still think the risk is worth the visit.
The country is friendly. I even was in the Palestinian territories without
any problem. Most people speak english. and when not they speak russian
I would say 75% of the people speak english and 50% of the people speak
russian.
One curiosity.. staff in restaurants are not paid. you have to leave a tip
for the service.

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Dejacq

Fair enough Alfred. I know you've travelled more widely than
I, but your question did surprise me. Especially from
someone who has been to some of the places you have.

I'm a lone traveler in my 60s, hardly an intimidating
figure. But I like to wander around the world occasionally.

Last year I visited Bangkok. A few months later they had the
airport sit-in and there have been several bombings.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-1047100.html

Later in that trip I visited Jaipur, India. Two months later
80 died in bombings in Jaipur.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3925840.ece

I also visited Cairo and strolled down the shopping street
that was later bombed.

The country I was a little nervous about before I arrived,
Jordan, was pleasant, peaceful and very interesting.

Then I went to Washington and New York, hot-beds of crime
and muggings.

Later in that trip I used local buses to wander from Can Cun
to Merida and wandered alone at night around the back
streets of the town where a dozen headless corpses were
found in August.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4633935.ece

I continued to Mexico City and wandered the city on the
public transit system; more corpses were reported shortly
after I left.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/travel/200...s_it_safe.html

I arrived home perfectly safe. The only time I felt
threatened during the trip was an argument with TSA staff at
an airport. The only time I thought my life may be in danger
was crossing the road as a pedestrian in Cairo.

With that Jonah record, I'll give advance warning that my
next trips will be New Caledonia and next year several
countries in South America - just in case anyone wants to
avoid them for a little while:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Alan, where are you going next? So I know where to avoid as trouble
obviously follows you lol