How safe is Jerusalem?

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default How safe is Jerusalem?

In article , Alan S says...

Fair enough Alfred. I know you've travelled more widely than
I, but your question did surprise me.

Why? Israel is not a place like all the others. I've also put the same
question recently about Sri Lanka and nobody made a fuss about it.

The fact is that both Israel and Sri Lanka are both places with ongoing
civil wars and any sensitive traveller would ask for information about
the security situation there before visiting these places.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Mar 21, 7:26*am, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Alan S says...

Fair enough Alfred. I know you've travelled more widely than
I, but your question did surprise me.

Why? Israel is not a place like all the others. I've also put the same
question recently about Sri Lanka and nobody made a fuss about it.

The fact is that both Israel and Sri Lanka are both places with ongoing
civil wars and any sensitive traveller would ask for information about
the security situation there before visiting these places.
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

There is no ongoing civil war in Isreal.
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"PeterL" kirjoitti
On Mar 21, 7:26 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Alan S says...

Fair enough Alfred. I know you've travelled more widely than
I, but your question did surprise me.

Why? Israel is not a place like all the others. I've also put the same
question recently about Sri Lanka and nobody made a fuss about it.

The fact is that both Israel and Sri Lanka are both places with ongoing
civil wars and any sensitive traveller would ask for information about
the security situation there before visiting these places.
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

There is no ongoing civil war in Isreal.

"Israel" has been around some 60 years now. I bet it won't last for another
60 years.

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article 376fca99-9db9-468d-a938-132ee832e714
@k19g2000prh.googlegroups.com, PeterL says...
There is no ongoing civil war in Isreal.

There is, between Jews and Arabs. Just follow the news.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Israel" has been around some 60 years now. I bet it won't last for
another 60 years.

Which does rather show that you've got a hidden agenda in asking the
question in the first place.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:26:29 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Alan S says...

Fair enough Alfred. I know you've travelled more widely than
I, but your question did surprise me.

Why? Israel is not a place like all the others. I've also put the same
question recently about Sri Lanka and nobody made a fuss about it.

The fact is that both Israel and Sri Lanka are both places with ongoing
civil wars and any sensitive traveller would ask for information about
the security situation there before visiting these places.

In both those countries the main threat to tourists comes from
terrorism. By their very nature, terrorists attack without warning
when you least expect them. For that reason, it's not possible for
anyone here to predict if or when that is going to happen. There is no
such thing as "terrorism season". You either take your chances and go,
or stay away.

Chris
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alan S" kirjoitti
om...
In planning next year's trip I came across this report
today:
http://www.valparaisotimes.cl/content/view/492/1/
and
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/am...gentina.crime/

They seem relevant to this thread, regardless of the
country.

As far as violent civil crime against people is concerned, the world has
always divided to two: very violent Americas and Africa and not so violent
Europe and Asia. I don't know any reason for this. Only that it is so.
Naturally this polarization is an utter generalisation.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Chris Blunt
says...

In both those countries the main threat to tourists comes from
terrorism. By their very nature, terrorists attack without warning
when you least expect them. For that reason, it's not possible for
anyone here to predict if or when that is going to happen. There is no
such thing as "terrorism season". You either take your chances and go,
or stay away.

Sure, but the information posted by Alan and tile was quite helpful in
getting a better idea of the local situation.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Alan S says...
In planning next year's trip I came across this report
today:
http://www.valparaisotimes.cl/content/view/492/1/
and
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/am...gentina.crime/

They seem relevant to this thread, regardless of the
country.

Based on what I'm told, also Brazil is quite a dangerous place.

In Bolivia or in another neighbouring country it happens that tourists
are kidnapped, and forced to withdraw money with their ATM cards (or
forced to give away the PIN code and then the kidnappers withdraw the
money). When the account is empty or the ATM card stops working, the
tourists are killed.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Alan S
says...
In planning next year's trip I came across this report
today:
http://www.valparaisotimes.cl/content/view/492/1/
and

In Bolivia or in another neighbouring country it happens that tourists
are kidnapped, and forced to withdraw money with their ATM cards (or
forced to give away the PIN code and then the kidnappers withdraw the
money). When the account is empty or the ATM card stops working, the
tourists are killed.

I have read the story of a couple of young germans.. that did not escape
that fate.
also. they were buried in a zone reserved to poor people..

did not hear about other cases like that though