AirAsia

Old July 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default AirAsia

Some interesting news about AirAsia:

1. They are punctual.
2. They assign a seat to you.

I took several flights in June with them and most of the time the plane
would take off a few minutes ahead of schedule (Surabaya-Johor Bharu
even left 10 minutes early). Only one flight out of the eight I took in
June was delayed (about half an hour).

However, since Malaysian Airlines has reduced their fares, AirAsia is
now on average only 10%-20% cheaper than Malaysian. It is even possible
to spend less with Malaysian Airlines if you book a bit early.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Magnus[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:58:58 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Some interesting news about AirAsia:

1. They are punctual.
2. They assign a seat to you.

I took several flights in June with them and most of the time the plane
would take off a few minutes ahead of schedule (Surabaya-Johor Bharu
even left 10 minutes early). Only one flight out of the eight I took in
June was delayed (about half an hour).

However, since Malaysian Airlines has reduced their fares, AirAsia is
now on average only 10%-20% cheaper than Malaysian. It is even possible
to spend less with Malaysian Airlines if you book a bit early.
--

Alfred Molon

I have read mixed opinions about this airline.
Many people complain about frequent delays and sometimes, even flight
cancellation. When the plane is not full enough, you have to wait for
the next plane!
However the problems seem to affect mostly Thai Airasia (flight FD)
and not Malay Airasia (flight AK).

Mort
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Magnus says...

I have read mixed opinions about this airline.
Many people complain about frequent delays and sometimes,

That is a thing of the past. Of the eight flights I took in June, one
was delayed, the other seven left and arrived early.

even flight
cancellation. When the plane is not full enough, you have to wait for
the next plane!

Never heard anything like that.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Alfred Molon wrote in message

However, since Malaysian Airlines has reduced their fares, AirAsia is
now on average only 10%-20% cheaper than Malaysian. It is even possible
to spend less with Malaysian Airlines if you book a bit early.

My wife and I are traveling from PEN to REP through KUL one-way for the
paltry sum of $205 US (two passengers economy class) on December 8th. The
taxes amounted to more than the fare. No complaints here.

rg

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article , Magnus says...

I have read mixed opinions about this airline.
Many people complain about frequent delays and sometimes,

That is a thing of the past. Of the eight flights I took in June, one
was delayed, the other seven left and arrived early.

even flight
cancellation. When the plane is not full enough, you have to wait for
the next plane!

Never heard anything like that.
--

Because it is obviously nonsense. The opposite has been quite common.
Nowadays overbooking is sanctioned (at least in the EU region) and this most

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Magnus" kirjoitti
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:58:58 +0200, Alfred Molon

I have read mixed opinions about this airline.

There are mixed opinions on any object imaginable. For instance there isn't
a hotel anywhere which wouldn't be rated as the black hole of Calcutta by
someone and praised as a wonderful establishment in some other review.

Old July 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:19:11 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
ws.com...
In article , Magnus says...

I have read mixed opinions about this airline.
Many people complain about frequent delays and sometimes,

That is a thing of the past. Of the eight flights I took in June, one
was delayed, the other seven left and arrived early.

even flight
cancellation. When the plane is not full enough, you have to wait for
the next plane!

Never heard anything like that.
--

Because it is obviously nonsense. The opposite has been quite common.
Nowadays overbooking is sanctioned (at least in the EU region) and this most
vicious practice has become less frequent.

I'm not sure which of the above posters you think is talking nonsense,
but I think they are both right to a certain extent. I've flown many
times with Air Asia and most of the flights have been on time and
great value for the money. However, I've also had them cancel a flight
and rebook me on the next one, presumably because they found they
could accommodate passengers from both flights on a single aircraft.

I found that kind of annoying because it would have resulted in
missing a connecting flight. If they had booked me on an earlier
flight it would have made more sense.

Chris
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Chris Blunt
says...
I've also had them cancel a flight
and rebook me on the next one

That has not yet happened to me and I've been flying with them for
years. The worst that happened was a delay of 2-3 hours (can't remember
exactly) many years ago, but delays seem a thing of the past now.

As for the excellent value, they are now only a bit cheaper than
Malaysian Airlines.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate[_2_]

ALL airlines, without exception are out to fly at a profit! EACH and EVERY
one may cancel flights that will not operate profitably.

Forget the loyalty bull**** - recognise the harsh commercial realities of
the world these days!!

Old July 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:19:11 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"

I'm not sure which of the above posters you think is talking nonsense,
but I think they are both right to a certain extent. I've flown many
times with Air Asia and most of the flights have been on time and
great value for the money. However, I've also had them cancel a flight
and rebook me on the next one, presumably because they found they
could accommodate passengers from both flights on a single aircraft.

They did not pronounce the reason for cancellation? Airlines hardly (must
not?) cancel flights at so short a notice for such a reason. Naturally
airlines do adjust their schedules time to time and in a case they reduce
the number of flights this is nothing but cancelling them. For instance
Finnair (and many other companies) did so in summer 2003 on flights to and
from Asia due to this "bird flu" hysteria. When I flew from Helsinki to
Bangkok in early May 2003 the Finnair MD-11 hosted about 30 passengers (most
of whom were these Thai hooke.... I mean wives) onboard in a plane which can
take nearly 300 passengers. Sometime in June the number of flights was
diminished to three per week.