Bad food on Grand Princess?

Old September 12th, 2003, 04:47 PM
dep_blueman

Default Bad food on Grand Princess?

What was your friend expecting as far as food quality? i.e. Was
he/she expecting TIG Fridays or a 4 Star fine dining experience?

Based our our recent trip on the Grand I would say the food in the
dining room was similar to a mid-level family joint like Max and Ermas
or TGI Fridays. Not that the food was exactly the same type of food
but I felt the food quality was similar. Better than cooking but no
where close to fine dining.

-D

"jckey" wrote in message ...
A friend of a friend just got off Grand Princess 8/29 Eastern Caribbean and
said that the food was terrible. However the service, crew, and ship were
excellent. Has anyone had any problems with the food on Grand? We will be
on her in a few weeks.

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Doug McDonald

dep_blueman wrote:

What was your friend expecting as far as food quality? i.e. Was
he/she expecting TIG Fridays or a 4 Star fine dining experience?

An interesting question.

So I decided to check Web sites of Carnival, Princess, and
Celebrity.

Celebrity and Princess give no details ... they just
claim, unambigously, "gourmet dining" with no details.

Carnival, on the other hand, does not claim "gourmet"
anything, but does offer "typical" menus. The "alternate"
restaurants' menus seem to indeed NOT be "gourmet" dishes ...
but the main dining rooms' ones most certainly do. Thus, in this
case, in the main dining room I would expect gourmet food ....
somewhere between abysmally and exquisitely prepared. Obviously
this is a huge range. The non-gourmet items listed in specialty
could obviously also show a range of quality.

What would I actually expect? Well, I would expect, on Carnival,
in the main dining room, banquet food with a pretentious aura.
How satisfying it would be would be an open question.

On the other two .... There really is no way to tell from the
advertising. It could be true, it could be a lie.

I expect a lie, actually, since TRUE gourmet food requires the
very best in fresh ingredients ... and this is likely impossible
for so many people with no obvious suppliers in the third
world countries these people visit ... or in Alaska ... capable
of meeting the huge needs.

So, I expect banquet food on all these lines.

What I **don't** expect from these ads is chain restaurant food ...
not Perkins or TGIF or Applebee's or Chilli's, etc. .... I would
expect that quality, but far fancier.

Which is not to say,
of course, that it could in fact really be wonderful if it was
designed right for the conditions. Or it could be awful.

That's what I would expect from the ads.

And, of course this is backed up by rec.cruises.
The post I directly respond to about Princess is not
promising for bettering these expectations.

Doug McDonald
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Doris Gregory

Hi,