Is this rude to do in Japan ...

Old November 28th, 2004, 11:51 PM
ggg

Default Is this rude to do in Japan ...

I have no immediate plans to visit Japan but it's on my to do list.
These questions would apply in other Asian countries too.

Does anyone ever take off their shoes when required but not leave
them with the rest of the shoes? I know that HK tourists take them in
Thailand to avoid theft and I have an article about Burma where the
girls take off their shoes at temple but carry their shoes along.

Also, is it rude to carry your own chopsticks to eateries instead of
using disposable ones provided? I know it's okay in HK even if they
provide regular chopsticks -hey, less washing up for the staff.
Old November 29th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Kim_il_Zoom

EAC wrote:
(ggg) wrote in message . com...

I have no immediate plans to visit Japan but it's on my to do list.
These questions would apply in other Asian countries too.

Does anyone ever take off their shoes when required but not leave
them with the rest of the shoes? I know that HK tourists take them in
Thailand to avoid theft and I have an article about Burma where the
girls take off their shoes at temple but carry their shoes along.

Also, is it rude to carry your own chopsticks to eateries instead of
using disposable ones provided? I know it's okay in HK even if they
provide regular chopsticks -hey, less washing up for the staff.

--------------

I don't think that it's rude, it's probably a common practice.
Bringing your own chopsticks doesn't necessary mean that you're worry
about the hygene of the eateries, but more of wanting to eat the food
in your own style.

But of course, if the host ask you on not to use your own chopsticks,
do obey if you want to eat there.

---------------

PMFJI, but why would anyone ever consider using
one´s own choptsticks at a restaurant in Japan?
IMHO, it is one of the cleanlier countries on
earth.

No one would probably get offended, but rather break
out in laughter or at least giggles (depending on age
& rank) at seeing you brandish your own eating tools,
since this very idea is virtually unheard of in Japan;
I may be wrong, though, as I have only lived there for
a little over 10 years.

Rgds,
Kim

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:49 PM
John L

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:06:51 GMT, Kim_il_Zoom
wrote:

PMFJI, but why would anyone ever consider using
one´s own choptsticks at a restaurant in Japan?
IMHO, it is one of the cleanlier countries on
earth.

No one would probably get offended, but rather break
out in laughter or at least giggles (depending on age
& rank) at seeing you brandish your own eating tools,
since this very idea is virtually unheard of in Japan;
I may be wrong, though, as I have only lived there for
a little over 10 years.

Rgds,
Kim

I can't speak for ggg but many peope have great concerns about the
number of tropical rainforest trees being destroyed each year, simply
to supply disposable chopsticks for Japanese consmption.

John L.
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Prophet of the Way

ggg wrote:

Does anyone ever take off their shoes when required but not leave
them with the rest of the shoes?

Some temples and castles provide plastic bags at the entrance and ask tourists
to carry their shoes to the exit.

Also, is it rude to carry your own chopsticks to eateries instead of
using disposable ones provided?

Some environment-conscious people do this.
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:35 AM
indonotabi

Regarding to chopstick. Not rude at all. I encourage you to do it.
Many people do it for conservation.(Though vast majority don't give a
damn). NOT FOR HYGIENE. If you use your own. There'd be less
garbage,less waste. That's bloody good. Someone will laught at you? Do
you want to join the herd or to be yourself?

Sincerely
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Kim_il_Zoom

wrote:

PMFJI, but why would anyone ever consider using
one´s own choptsticks at a restaurant in Japan?
IMHO, it is one of the cleanlier countries on
earth.

No one would probably get offended, but rather break
out in laughter or at least giggles (depending on age
& rank) at seeing you brandish your own eating tools,
since this very idea is virtually unheard of in Japan;
I may be wrong, though, as I have only lived there for
a little over 10 years.

Rgds,
Kim

I can't speak for ggg but many peope have great concerns about the
number of tropical rainforest trees being destroyed each year, simply
to supply disposable chopsticks for Japanese consmption.

John L.

John,

Having sent my above remark, I realized that a comment
like yours might be coming; however, I took it that the
OP was putting his question from the hygenic angle, hence
my remark.

You are right, some people now bring their own chopsticks
in Japan out of environmental concerns, contrary to a few
other countries in the area, where they keep doing it for
their own, immediate health.

Rgds,
Kim

Old November 30th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Kim_il_Zoom

indonotabi wrote:
Regarding to chopstick. Not rude at all. I encourage you to do it.
Many people do it for conservation.(Though vast majority don't give a
damn). NOT FOR HYGIENE. If you use your own. There'd be less
garbage,less waste. That's bloody good. Someone will laught at you? Do
you want to join the herd or to be yourself?

Sincerely

Dear Sincerely,

I have to admit that it was easy to reply to the OP
from the hygenic point of view, since in most countries
where you are temptated to bring your own chopsticks,
disposable chopsticks are normally not provided - that´s
the reason why you bring your own.

Besides that, I can happily agree to what you consider
bloody good where health is not the most immediate
problem, for example Japan.

Rgds,
Kim

Old November 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
ggg

excellent answers thanks. It's not about the trees.