British Airways

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Volker Hetzer

"Lansbury" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...
The suit in the office probably has a far better understanding of the best
practice for all passengers than the passenger who is only considering their
*own* needs. If an aircraft crashes (as opposed to a control forced landing)
it will invariable catch fire, that is why there is a requirement to evacuate
in 90 seconds, longer than let you are dead.

90? Ok, my mistake. I thought just over 2min but couldn't remember exactly
anymore.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

Old April 7th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Roland Perry

In message , at 08:59:32 on Wed, 6 Apr
2005, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" remarked:
most of the aircraft I've been in have only two seats on the window
sides - at worst one would only inconvenience ONE person.

No, most seem to have three. Especially those smaller aircraft used by
people like Easyjet, that only have one aisle.
--
Roland Perry

Old April 7th, 2005, 07:44 AM
~~ Ray ~~

if you work on that theory then really doctors arent really needed, because
what would a doctor know if your saying that person himself knows better
than anyone else.

Lansbury wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:08:27 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

My only "beef" with British Airways is their "policy" of
insisting that anyone using a wheelchair sit in a window
seat (regardless of their pre-booked seat assignment).

It is a pity all airlines do not adopt that rule. In an emergency anyone

who
has problems with movement is a hindrance to more mobile persons

evacuating
the aircraft.

That's probably true (although it's considerably easier to
get out of an aisle seat quickly, even for someone "who
has problems with movement"), but there are other reasons
for needing a wheelchair, as mentioned. No "rule" should be
so arbitrary it allows of no exceptions.

If in an aisle seat they could block other passengers in that row from

getting
out quickly enough.

"Row"? Seats in the middle of th plane may be accessed from
either aisle, and most of the aircraft I've been in have
only two seats on the window sides - at worst one would only
inconvenience ONE person. (And it inconveniences them far
more, if the person in the window seat must make frequent
trips to the lavatories.)

A very rare occurrence in practicality but one BA has at least thought

about,
and decided to put the onus on the emergency situation.

So never mind what the passenger wants and has specifically
booked far in advance? Most people with "disabilities" are
far more aware of their capabilities than some "suit" in an
airline's central offices.

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Roland Perry" kirjoitti viestissä
.uk...
In message , at 08:59:32 on Wed, 6 Apr
2005, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" remarked:
most of the aircraft I've been in have only two seats on the window
sides - at worst one would only inconvenience ONE person.

No, most seem to have three. Especially those smaller aircraft used by
people like Easyjet, that only have one aisle.
--

Naturally you know better than other folks what planes they have travelled
by. It is very typical to have only two adjacent seats.

Old April 7th, 2005, 03:00 PM
TOliver

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Roland Perry" kirjoitti viestissä
.uk...
In message , at 08:59:32 on Wed, 6 Apr
2005, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" remarked:
most of the aircraft I've been in have only two seats on the window
sides - at worst one would only inconvenience ONE person.

No, most seem to have three. Especially those smaller aircraft used by
people like Easyjet, that only have one aisle.
--

Naturally you know better than other folks what planes they have travelled
by. It is very typical to have only two adjacent seats.

Depends on how you define "very typical".....

I see a number of 2_2s in regional jets and suspect there may be some 1_2s
among them, fly regularly in SAABs and Embraers with 1_2s (and 2 turning),
spend what seems a lifetime in MD80s and the occasional elderly DC9, 2_3s in
back, but after that the "single aislers" are fat enough for the 3_3
configuration, especially the myriad 737s with narrow-butt seats and seat
backs not wide enough for normal shoulders.

I presume that any number of "double aislers" retain 2_ .....configuration
for the seats adjacent to windows, leaving a bank of 4 in the middle, no
poor soul more than a seat from the aisle.

But no more than Divamanque would consider herself to be "typical" or even
"very typical" would I consider 2_... seating to be so. It is, however,
more typical than a hippopotamus grazing in a china shoppe, one like Evelyn
who believes that the only "rules" which apply to her are those with which
she finds to be appropriate to her own perception of her condition and
status, while the poor vulgar beasts who comprise her travel companions, are
subject not only to all the rules, but to her interpretation of how they
should conduct themselves. One who evidences a physical disability by
requesting the airline/airport to wheel her between gates should expect that
the airlines would perceive that that same disability would be likely to
impede a fellow passenger's access to the aisle and to escape in an
emergency. Having once been required to "deboard" an aircraft after a
completely unplanned and all too sudden stop, I would certainly hate to have
her in my way should I be in the window seat next to her hesitant attempts
to heave herself into the aisle. I can assure all readers that (while in
reversed type as it were) the brand of cross trainers or of the heels of
conventional shoes I was wearing would be prominently displayed across
various parts of her body.

Next she'll be wanting to ride in one of those folding FA seats (with the
lifesaving 4 point harness) adjacent to the exit door, so all she has to do
is simply board last, exit first or be bundled like a bowling ball onto the
slide after any unplanned sudden descent into terrain unapproved for
conventional landings.

TMO