Malaria

Old April 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM
ktech

Default Malaria

We are leaving 04/27 for Panama Canal cruise abroad Princess Coral. Wife and
I are taking some rain forest tours in Costa Rica. Friends we are traveling
with are deadly against any shore trips because of malaria. I think they are
nuts . Any input?
Frank

Old April 19th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Tom K

"ktech" wrote in message
We are leaving 04/27 for Panama Canal cruise abroad Princess Coral. Wife
and
I are taking some rain forest tours in Costa Rica. Friends we are
traveling
with are deadly against any shore trips because of malaria. I think they
are
nuts . Any input?
Frank

You might want to talk to your family doctor and see what he/she says.
Perhaps there are vaccines that you might consider.

I would think that a bigger concern might be Hepatitis.

--Tom

Old April 19th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Mark O. Polo

Frank:

Panama is a malaria area and Costa Rica is less so; however, you should
not have to worry very much coming off a cruise ship inasmuch as you
will only be on shore during the daytime while the mozzies are on the
prowl at night. The urban areas are safer than the low-lying countryside
and the port areas present no problems. The Canal Zone is no problem nor
is Panama City. Take a look at the following:

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travel/index.htm

You can always double check with the medical staff on the ship if
questions arise.

Aloha

Old April 19th, 2005, 05:34 PM
greatviz

ktech wrote:
We are leaving 04/27 for Panama Canal cruise abroad Princess Coral. Wife and
I are taking some rain forest tours in Costa Rica. Friends we are traveling
with are deadly against any shore trips because of malaria. I think they are
nuts . Any input?

Sure Frank, don't bother filing a petition and taking it to probate
court. Even if they are proven to be "nuts" during their hearing and
put on medication, they will surely quit taking it when they get out and
they will be really ****ed off at you and still just as nuts.

If you want input on Malaria rather than on your friends' mental status,
look at slide #16 at the first site below, but remember the reports are
"reports" only after a person is bitten and those borders of "high" and
"low" risk can fluctuate as can risks within small areas of those
borders. The mosquitos that carry malaria mainly feed at dusk. The
ones that transmit dengue fever/DHF feed during the day and exist
especially in the urban areas where standing water and poor sewage
management increase the problem.

Long pants, closed shoes, spray with DEET at 50% is what I would do if I
were visiting for a day trip in the Costa Rican jungle. There is no way
I would avoid going ashore, but I am healthy, and have a good idea of
the various risks/preventions, disease symptoms and when and how they
are likely to appear. Travelers should educate themselves on disease
risks in the countries they plan to visit. They should also consult with
their own doctors on what kinds of risks they could assume and the
various preventative measures available to them.

Palm Beach, Florida saw it's first native cases of malaria in 2003 so no
matter the trends, up or down, just take precautions.

See #16 at the Pan American Health Org.
http://www.paho.org/English/HCP/HCT/...a_PPTindex.htm

Risks of dengue and DHF by country, note Costa Rica has risks
http://www.paho.org/English/AD/DPC/C...cases-2004.htm

At the following sites travelers can pick a country and look at some of
the disease risks and some of the suggested precautions/immunizations.

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/index.html

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/destinat.htm

Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Hank Sniadoch

Get a prescription from your doctor ..... 1 pill every week 2 weeks before
and 4 weeks after your cruise plus 1 more for the week you're there ....
nobody on the cruise I was on took these pills though .... I did as well as
my girlfriend ..... prevents you from getting malaria which can infect you
as much as a year after your cruise .... worth it to get the prescription n
my mind .....

Old April 30th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Hank Sniadoch" :

Get a prescription from your doctor ..... 1 pill every week 2 weeks before
and 4 weeks after your cruise plus 1 more for the week you're there ....
nobody on the cruise I was on took these pills though .... I did as well as
my girlfriend ..... prevents you from getting malaria which can infect you
as much as a year after your cruise .... worth it to get the prescription n
my mind .....

The side effects kind of suck. Psychosis is not a good thing.

--
dillon

Women should be obscene and not absurd.