Newark Airport to UWS

Old May 27th, 2005, 03:52 AM
robert stephens

Default Newark Airport to UWS

Thanks again, everyone for your thoughts and suggestions on the upcoming
trip.

I was going to take a shuttle from the airport to the apartment we are
staying in (I will be by myself when I arrive tomorrow night). However,
the estimate that it will take 2.5 hours to get from the airport to the
apartment. The shuttle would be about ~$20 with tip.

A taxi would be ~$50 with tip. With the luggage I have (I am bringing
most of the items for the newborn), I'd really rather not take public
transportation unless it is really direct and easy. It looks like I
would have to monorail to the AirTrain to NJ transit to Penn Station,
and would then need to cab from there (which altogehter I have a very
rough guess to be around $18).

Any thoughts on the chances of finding someone to share a cab with? If I
could do the cab for ~$25 I would certainly choose that.

-Stephens Family
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:38 AM
robert stephens

robert stephens wrote:
[...]

Okay (answering my own question) ... this seems to be a combined
somewhat economical, somewhat speedy, somewhat easy solution:

The Newark Liberty Airport Express offers buses which run from Newark
(picking up at each terminal) to Penn Station, Grand Central, or PABT
for $13 one way. Then taxi the 30 - 40 blocks to the apartment. (Any
idea for an approximate cost from W. 42nd to W. 70th right up 8th Ave?)

Thoughts?

-Stephens Family

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:16 AM
robert stephens

Hello All!

Well, back from the Big Apple!

I did end up taking the Liberty Express from Newark to Manhattan, and
then cabbing to the apartment we rented for the week. I would definitely
recommend this.

The initial options I saw were a cab direct from Newark to the
apartment. From what I could tell, this would have been around $50.
Probably take somewhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on
traffic (this is really just a guess). So if you have three adults, this
would be the way to go. The other was to take a shuttle. The shuttle was
around $20 but would take 2 - 3 hours to get to the apartment (because
it stops for every individual ... and your stop could be last!).

Taking the Liberty Express (http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/) as I said
worked well. It cost $13 one way ($11 per way if you purchased a
round-trip ticket). They had busses which went to either lower or
midtown Manhattan. The midtown busses went to either both Penn Station
and Grand Central or the Port Authority Bus Terminal. From there, it was
very simple to get a taxi (for about $8 - including tip) to the Upper
West Side (70th and Broadway). I bussed to Penn Station, my wife (on a
different flight) bussed to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. When you
buy your ticket, they give you a ticket for a specific destination, but
you can use it for any bus (I just took the first bus which came to the
airport ... which turned out to be the destination I did not have a
ticket for, but no problem, they did not care). You can purchase the
ticket at the airport or at the pick-up stations in Manhattan. They take
credit cards. You can also purchase the ticket with cash from the bus
driver. Children (I do not remember to what age) are free, up to three
with adult. There was also a hotel transfer option for $4 more (which
would probably mean no need for a taxi), but I am not sure how that worked.

Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know how this part worked out. Expect
more on the rest of the trip soon.

-The Stephens Family