Transit hotel in Bangkok airport

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:12 AM
BT

Default Transit hotel in Bangkok airport

Hi all,

I couldn't find a definitive answer in the archives, so I'm hoping
someone can help me out. I will be travelling with my 4-year old
daughter, and I have a eleven hour layover in Bangkok. Is there a
transit hotel at the airport where I can go to just put up my feet and
have my daughter get some quality sleep? I've used the transit hotel at
Singapore Changi airport, and I was wondering if BKK has something
similar.

I do not want to leave the airport, since that will probably mean
getting a transit visa etc. that would add a lot of hassle. If there
aren't any transit hotels, are there any lounges that will allow
economy class serfs to use the lounge for a fee? I will be arriving on
a Cathay plane and leaving on a Thai Airways plane.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

BT

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Simone

Yes, there is the Louis Tavern Hotel right in the airport. You don't
even need to go through customs/immigration. It is a simple hotel, but
the rooms are clean and come with a private bathroom and tv. I
recommend that you locate the telephone number and make a reservation.
When I last stayed there (in December 2004) people could not walk up
and get a room. Also note that I had first sent a couple of emails to
enquire about making a reservation and neither email was answered. Give
them a call.

Simone

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:40 AM
RAK

"Simone" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, there is the Louis Tavern Hotel right in the airport. You don't
even need to go through customs/immigration. It is a simple hotel, but
the rooms are clean and come with a private bathroom and tv. I
recommend that you locate the telephone number and make a reservation.
When I last stayed there (in December 2004) people could not walk up
and get a room. Also note that I had first sent a couple of emails to
enquire about making a reservation and neither email was answered. Give
them a call.

Simone

That is useful. I only knew about the Amari hotel, just outside Customs etc.
and quite expensive.
Do you remember the room rates at the Louis?

Old June 8th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Simone

They were NOT cheap by Thai standards, but they were a lot cheaper than
the Amari. When I checked, the Amari was astronomical. The Lous Tavern
charges by the block of time. I think they start you off with a 4 hour
block and then you are either charged for each hour (or 2 hour blocks)
thereafter. As I recall, I spent around 7 hours there and the cost was
~ US$65. I realize this is fairly high for Bangkok, but at the time it
was more important for me to get some sleep rather than save money (but
lose an hour or 2 getting through immigration, catching a taxi and
driving to a hotel and then ruturn). It was also convenient to be
provided towels, soap, etc. so I didn't have to bother getting those
things out of my bag.

Simone

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:02 AM
BT

Simone wrote:
They were NOT cheap by Thai standards, but they were a lot cheaper than
the Amari. When I checked, the Amari was astronomical. The Lous Tavern
charges by the block of time. I think they start you off with a 4 hour
block and then you are either charged for each hour (or 2 hour blocks)
thereafter. As I recall, I spent around 7 hours there and the cost was
~ US$65. I realize this is fairly high for Bangkok, but at the time it
was more important for me to get some sleep rather than save money (but
lose an hour or 2 getting through immigration, catching a taxi and
driving to a hotel and then ruturn). It was also convenient to be
provided towels, soap, etc. so I didn't have to bother getting those
things out of my bag.

Simone

Thank you very much for the information! Now I know what to Google for.
I hope 12 days is enough time to be able to book a room. A shower and
some sleep in the middle of a 30 hour journey will do wonders for the
morale of a 4-year old.

BT

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:42 AM
BT

BT wrote:
Simone wrote:
[...]

Further information on this at
http://www.miraclegrandhotel.com/dayroom.html

They charge 1400 Baht for 4 hours, 2100 for 6 hours and so on. One can
supposedly get a 50% discount if they show a Thai Airlines ticket. Read
this in 2 separate sites below (search for tavern on those pages, they
are a little crowded). Can't confirm authenticity.
http://www.markoinbangkok.com/visas.htm
http://strike.skynetblog.be/

There are also some people not very happy with them according to this
site (again, search for tavern on the page).
http://www.airlinequality.com/Airpor..._forum/bkk.htm

I guess I'm calling them tomorrow to see if they have a room.
Simone, do you remember if the bathrooms were attached to the room? Or
were they communal?

Thanks again,
BT

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:55 AM
John Keiser

Mine had a private bathroom. No booking was needed [in October/November].
Room was overpriced by Thai standards but a welcomed respite during a 12
hour lay-over enroute from Honolulu to Madras.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Simone

Yes, the bathrooms were attached and private. If this "hotel" was not
in the airport- for the price- I would not recommend it. However, for
what you need it for- assuming the price isn't that big of an issue for
you- it should be just fine. It was clean enough and VERY convenient. I
would stay here again. Also note that I got a room by booking 8 days in
advance (I was also traveling right after Christmas- so a high travel
time of the year). Still, since it is important to you, I would reserve
a room.

Old June 8th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Miguel Cruz

Simone wrote:
They were NOT cheap by Thai standards, but they were a lot cheaper than
the Amari. When I checked, the Amari was astronomical.

The Amari at the airport is also an atrocious hotel, not up to the standards
of backpacker places in Khao San Road that charge 1/5 the price.

miguel
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Deckard

On 7 Jun 2005 23:35:26 -0700, "Simone"
wrote:

Yes, the bathrooms were attached and private. If this "hotel" was not
in the airport- for the price- I would not recommend it. However, for
what you need it for- assuming the price isn't that big of an issue for
you- it should be just fine. It was clean enough and VERY convenient. I
would stay here again. Also note that I got a room by booking 8 days in
advance (I was also traveling right after Christmas- so a high travel
time of the year). Still, since it is important to you, I would reserve
a room.

Many thanks for the valuable information, Simone.

Regards,
Mort