Transit hotel in Bangkok airport

Old June 8th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article . com,
"BT" wrote:

I do not want to leave the airport, since that will probably mean
getting a transit visa etc. that would add a lot of hassle. If there

what citizenship do you 2 have? It's usally no problem but if you do go
landisde, it'll cost you THB 500 each (soon to go up to THB 700?) to get
back in (assuming your connectng flights are international).

aren't any transit hotels, are there any lounges that will allow
economy class serfs to use the lounge for a fee? I will be arriving on
a Cathay plane and leaving on a Thai Airways plane.

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
RAK

"Simone" wrote in message
oups.com...
They were NOT cheap by Thai standards, but they were a lot cheaper than
the Amari. When I checked, the Amari was astronomical. The Lous Tavern
charges by the block of time. I think they start you off with a 4 hour
block and then you are either charged for each hour (or 2 hour blocks)
thereafter. As I recall, I spent around 7 hours there and the cost was
~ US$65. I realize this is fairly high for Bangkok, but at the time it
was more important for me to get some sleep rather than save money (but
lose an hour or 2 getting through immigration, catching a taxi and
driving to a hotel and then ruturn). It was also convenient to be
provided towels, soap, etc. so I didn't have to bother getting those
things out of my bag.

Thanks. Not a bargain but better than going into town if the flight out is
early in the morning. Last time I did that I left the hotel (a few km from
the airport) on a shuttle bus which diverted to miss the jam from a fatal
accident outside the airport, then got blocked again because of another
fatal one nearby. Ouch. Made the flight but not a nice feeling.

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM
BT

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article . com,
"BT" wrote:

I do not want to leave the airport, since that will probably mean
getting a transit visa etc. that would add a lot of hassle. If there

what citizenship do you 2 have? It's usally no problem but if you do go
landisde, it'll cost you THB 500 each (soon to go up to THB 700?) to get
back in (assuming your connectng flights are international).

I have an Indian passport (and a US green card), and my daughter has a
US passport. I think I read that the THB 500 fee (airport tax?) will
not be charged/will be refunded if the stay is for less than 12 hours.
My stay will definitely be less than that. But I'd rather not wait in
lines any longer than I absolutely have to, especially since I can't
predict how my 4-year old is going to behave after being "on the road"
for about 20 hours already. If current behaviour is any indication, she
will be fine if she gets some sleep on the plane. But if not.......

I will almost definitely use the Louis Tavern dayrooms. Thanks also to
the poster for the tip about having cash on hand.

BT

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Simone

It is always wise to have cash on hand, but on December 27, 2004 I was
able to use my credit card.

Old June 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

BT wrote:
I have an Indian passport (and a US green card), and my daughter has a
US passport. I think I read that the THB 500 fee (airport tax?) will
not be charged/will be refunded if the stay is for less than 12 hours.

Years ago that was the case but now everyone must pay.

miguel
Old June 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM
BT

Simone wrote:
It is always wise to have cash on hand, but on December 27, 2004 I was
able to use my credit card.

Thanks very much for all the info, Simone.

BT

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:23 PM
BT

Miguel Cruz wrote:
BT wrote:
I have an Indian passport (and a US green card), and my daughter has a
US passport. I think I read that the THB 500 fee (airport tax?) will
not be charged/will be refunded if the stay is for less than 12 hours.

Years ago that was the case but now everyone must pay.

miguel

Thanks for the info. That makes the dayroom option even more
attractive. THB 1000 as airport fee (for the 2 of us) plus any cab fare
plus hotel in the city would cost as much or more than a 6 hour stay at
the Louis Tavern. And I wouldn't have to wait in lines, go through
customs, immigration etc. Looking at my ticket again, I have 9 hours at
BKK, not 11 as I originally thought. A couple of hours of just running
around the airport, eating, checking in etc. should take care of the
rest of the time.

Any pointers on decent food at the airport? I eat everything, but my
daughter is not very adventurous (hates spicy food!). She does love
chicken satays made in the local (SF bay area) Thai restaurants. Any
places to absolutely avoid? Or not miss?

Thanks,

BT

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article .com,
"BT" wrote:

I have an Indian passport (and a US green card), and my daughter has a
US passport. I think I read that the THB 500 fee (airport tax?) will
not be charged/will be refunded if the stay is for less than 12 hours.

Wrong, that might have been the case but for the past 4-5 years, the
minute you step landside.......
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Miguel Cruz

BT wrote:
Any pointers on decent food at the airport? I eat everything, but my
daughter is not very adventurous (hates spicy food!). She does love
chicken satays made in the local (SF bay area) Thai restaurants. Any
places to absolutely avoid? Or not miss?

The food airside of the departure tax/immigration point is not very good.
The best food in the airport is in the food court frequented mainly by staff
located just behind 7-Eleven at the T2 end of the pedestrian bridge between
International terminal 2 and the domestic terminal. But this requires paying
departure tax. Most everything else is overpriced and uninspiring. The worst
is in the domestic terminal, where the only real airside option is Burger
King (and that horrible sandwich place, but that's not even worth
considering).

miguel
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Roger

We always stay with out 10 year old daughter at the Amari at the
airport(just walk across a footbridge). also a swimming pool there to cool
down.

Roger

"BT" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I couldn't find a definitive answer in the archives, so I'm hoping
someone can help me out. I will be travelling with my 4-year old
daughter, and I have a eleven hour layover in Bangkok. Is there a
transit hotel at the airport where I can go to just put up my feet and
have my daughter get some quality sleep? I've used the transit hotel at
Singapore Changi airport, and I was wondering if BKK has something
similar.

I do not want to leave the airport, since that will probably mean
getting a transit visa etc. that would add a lot of hassle. If there
aren't any transit hotels, are there any lounges that will allow
economy class serfs to use the lounge for a fee? I will be arriving on
a Cathay plane and leaving on a Thai Airways plane.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

BT