Disneyland - Hong Kong

Old October 15th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Rick Graham

Default Disneyland - Hong Kong

My wife and I were reluctant to trek out to Lantau island during the
National Holidays. Never-the-less, we went to the park on Friday, Oct. 7th.
I was quite surprised to see only a small crowd. No attraction was more
than a five minute wait, including the more popular ones. My wife and I
went through a couple attractions twice, as the wait was so short. If you
have been to Disneyland in Anaheim, California or Orlando, Florida, you will
be somewhat disappointed with this smaller park. There are far fewer
attractions and rides, and the park is much smaller.

As usual, nothing is cheap at Disneyland, including the food and token
gifts. A bottle of water was 10 HKD, a coke 15 HKD, and bottle of
watermelon juice was 20 HKD. Chicken burger with french fries and a drink
was 50 HKD. These prices are probably consistent with Disney parks around
the world. Attendants check all bags upon entry, looking for too many water
bottles or food.

The "cast", all Disney workers at the park, were quite helpful and ready to
assist if you seemed to be lost or were trying to find the right path to the
next attraction. If you want to view the parade, you will find the sun in
your eyes from about noon on. The angle makes picture taking into the sun a
real treat. It would be better if the parade started at the entry to the
park and finished in Tomorrowland with the sun at your back.

rg

Old October 16th, 2005, 05:16 AM
thegoons

Does HK Disneyland have the same cleanliness about it as the other Disney
Parks (janitors running around with brooms everywhere)?

Cheers,
http://www.toddhardy.com.au

Old October 16th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Rick Graham

Does HK Disneyland have the same cleanliness about it as the other Disney
Parks (janitors running around with brooms everywhere)?

The park was very clean as well as the public bathrooms. The bathrooms had
electric hand blowers to dry your hands after washing of a type I am told
originate in Japan. You insert your wet hand inbetween a device that blows
any moisture off your hand while drying it with heated air.

Yes, there were "cast" members (janitors in white uniforms) running around
with their brooms and portable bins.

rg

Old October 16th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Chris Blunt

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:56:11 -0700, "Rick Graham"
wrote:

Does HK Disneyland have the same cleanliness about it as the other Disney
Parks (janitors running around with brooms everywhere)?

The park was very clean as well as the public bathrooms. The bathrooms had
electric hand blowers to dry your hands after washing of a type I am told
originate in Japan. You insert your wet hand inbetween a device that blows
any moisture off your hand while drying it with heated air.

A friend of mine who used to work in a government health department
told me those machines leave your hands less clean than using towels.
The reason is they just evaporate the water from your hands leaving
any bacteria behind, whereas using a disposable paper towel would have
removed the germs along with the water.

Chris
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:36 PM
RaT

Is there easy transport to get to the park from the airport? I have a long
transit time at HKG so though it might be a way of passing the time?

Old October 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Rick Graham

Is there easy transport to get to the park from the airport? I have a
long transit time at HKG so though it might be a way of passing the time?

Couldn't be easier. Take the Aiport Express train and make a connection
(get a map at the airport). From the airport, you will take two or three
short train rides. Disneyland is also on Lantau island along with the
airport. You should be able to get there from the airport in less than 20
minutes. Use the application at the MTR website to determine ticket prices
and routing:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/d...rllaunch_e.htm

rg

Old October 16th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Rick Graham

Is there easy transport to get to the park from the airport? I have a
long
transit time at HKG so though it might be a way of passing the time?

I forgot to mention that you can store your bags at the airport for a
charge. At time in inquired, it seemed the price was around 100 HKD per
bag. Good luck!

rg

Old October 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM
PTravel

"Rick Graham" wrote in message

May I ask you a question?

I'm really curious. Why would someone travel to Hong Kong, and then visit
an American theme park? I've never understood the proliferation of
Disneyland parks internationally, just as I've never understood the
proliferation of Hard Rock Cafes.

What is the attraction?

Old October 17th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Markku Grönroos

"PTravel" wrote in message

"Rick Graham" wrote in message

May I ask you a question?

I'm really curious. Why would someone travel to Hong Kong, and then visit
an American theme park? I've never understood the proliferation of
Disneyland parks internationally, just as I've never understood the
proliferation of Hard Rock Cafes.

What is the attraction?

Similar to that experienced in the USA? If I visit the Disney park in Paris
next summer, I will buy that funny Mickey Mouse cap with mighty ears.

Old October 17th, 2005, 06:45 PM
PTravel

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"PTravel" wrote in message

"Rick Graham" wrote in message

May I ask you a question?

I'm really curious. Why would someone travel to Hong Kong, and then
visit an American theme park? I've never understood the proliferation of
Disneyland parks internationally, just as I've never understood the
proliferation of Hard Rock Cafes.

What is the attraction?

Similar to that experienced in the USA? If I visit the Disney park in
Paris next summer, I will buy that funny Mickey Mouse cap with mighty
ears.

Many Americans visit Disney in the U.S. I don't understand why Americans
would travel to Hong Kong (or any other international destination) to see an
American theme park or, for that matter, any other American chain.