Disneyland - Hong Kong

Old October 19th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Default Disneyland - Hong Kong

Chris Blunt wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:24:50 -0700, "PTravel"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:45:34 -0700, "PTravel"
wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"PTravel" wrote in message

"Rick Graham" wrote in message

May I ask you a question?

I'm really curious. Why would someone travel to Hong Kong, and then
visit an American theme park? I've never understood the proliferation
of
Disneyland parks internationally, just as I've never understood the
proliferation of Hard Rock Cafes.

What is the attraction?
Similar to that experienced in the USA? If I visit the Disney park in
Paris next summer, I will buy that funny Mickey Mouse cap with mighty
ears.

Many Americans visit Disney in the U.S. I don't understand why Americans
would travel to Hong Kong (or any other international destination) to see
an
American theme park or, for that matter, any other American chain.

Of course its unlikely that an American would travel to Hong Kong
specifically to visit Disneyland there, but nobody is suggesting they
would. If you read the original question, they guy is transiting Hong
Kong and wants something to fill his time instead of sitting in the
airport for several hours.

The OP was comparing HK Disneyland to the ones in Anaheim and Orlando. That
doesn't make him any American, but it makes it much more likley that he is.

Regardless, for someone who has been to the two American Disneylands, why in
the world would he want to go to the one in Hong Kong?

You'll have to ask him that, but he clearly did want to visit it, so
why not just accept that?

I don't see why a theme park in Hong Kong should be less attractive to
an American than it would be to anyone else just because the original
concept came from America.

The point of foreign travel is to go somewhere foreign. An American who
travels to Hong Kong and then visits Disneyland, eats in McDonalds, etc.
might as well stay home.

The reasons for foreign travel are many and varied. Most people travel
for business purposes, and many travel frequently enough that their
trips are more than a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see "something
foreign". Some of us travel to the same places often enough that we
don't need to obsess with totally immersing ourselves with local
experiences every time we go. Sure, there's definitely a lot more to
see and do in Hong Kong than just going to Disneyland and eating
McDonalds, but that doesn't mean doing those things should be avoided.
Just do as you please when you travel and let other people do the
same.

I've been to Hong Kong, for both business and pleasure, about half a
dozen times, once staying for a month. I've been to Paris -- for
pleasure, only -- about a dozen times. I would never consider visiting
Disneyland in either place, nor would I consider eating at McDonalds.
I travel internationally two to three times a year, usually for
pleasure, and have been doing so for the last 10 years at least (and
the last twenty-five, though with less frequency).

I could not imagine a worse way to spend my time in foreign countries
than visiting American theme parks or American fast-food restaurants.
I don't "obsess" over "total immersion" in foreign cultures, nor do I
regard every minute passed in another country as an opportunity to
sight-see. I travel to foreign lands simply for the experience of
being there. If "there" is the same as the U.S., then what is the
point in going?

As for letting other people do as they please, I don't recall posting a
petition to close Disney Hong Kong or to pass laws barring Americans
from overseas McDonalds. I'm just trying to understand what would
motivate an Anmerican to go to these places.

Chris

Old October 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Miguel Cruz

wrote:
As for letting other people do as they please, I don't recall posting a
petition to close Disney Hong Kong or to pass laws barring Americans
from overseas McDonalds. I'm just trying to understand what would
motivate an Anmerican to go to these places.

In Hong Kong I go to McDonald's because I am addicted to the mango dip
soft-serve cone.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 38 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Burma; Hong Kong; Macau; Amsterdam; Grand Canyon; Amman
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Vera Izrailit

PTravel wrote:

Maybe travelling to Hong Kong (or Tokyo or Paris) is cheaper than
travelling to America for many people.

Travelling to Hong Kong is not cheaper than travelling to Anaheim or Orlando
for Americans. I assumed the OP was an American, and may be mistaken in
that assumption.

Yes, it is cheaper, but assuming that the person is not travelling
specifically to see Disneyworld, some Americans still happen to visit
Hong Kong/Tokyo/Paris more often than Anaheim or Orlando.

I am an American, and I have been to Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo but not
to California or Florida yet. Haven't been to the Disneyworld in any of
those places, but would have if I had more time.

--
Vera Izrailit
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:08 PM
Rick Graham

"PTravel" wrote in message

I'm really curious. Why would someone travel to Hong Kong, and then visit
an American theme park? I've never understood the proliferation of
Disneyland parks internationally, just as I've never understood the
proliferation of Hard Rock Cafes.

What is the attraction?

So why did my wife and I go to Hong Kong - Disneyland?

I grew up near Anaheim, California. When I was eight years old, my parents
took me to the theme park on opening day. For a child of eight, this was a
lasting memory. Children of this era grew up with Disney as well as those
of the current generation both in America and around the world. I was
interested in comparing it to what I had known.

The poster continues;

"I've never understood the proliferation of Disneyland parks
internationally, just as I've never understood the proliferation of Hard
Rock Cafes."

Its called capitalism and the same reason why the Chinese government has
partnered with Disney to share the profits. Bottles of water sold at the
park for 10 times the going price on the street provides lots of financial
incentive for Disney and the Chinese government. Quite frankly, I don't
understand the comparison between going to Disneyland in Hong Kong and going
to the Hard Rock Cafe or to a McDonalds in Hong Kong.

As for eating at the Hard Rock, my wife and I don't eat at American chain
restaurants when traveling abroad. If fact, we rarely eat at American
restaurants in the U.S.

Besides my curious nature to compare the park in Hong Kong with those in
America, my wife had never been to a Disneyland park. She is Chinese, and
it was just something else we did while visiting China.

rg