What food do you think of when you think of Beijing?

Old February 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

Default What food do you think of when you think of Beijing?

when you eat with a group of people, no one eats just one thing in China..
not just Beijing.. don't get hung up on Beijing food, it's basically the
same food everywhere else I've been. Everything is usually shared on a
carousel when you eat in China, if you are not an American tourist that is..
Most Chinese over there share everything on the table together.. Don't get
hung up on one food.

Also most Chinese foods are mixtures of things like vegetables with meats
mixed in, or noodles, etc.... There are so much more variety in china's
foods than in the USA... What if I said dumplings are the best food in
Beijing.. Well there are countless styles of dumplings.. I ate twice at Lo
Bien in Shenyang, one of the most famous dumpling restaurants in the world..
We ordered their dumpling assortment, I think there was over 35 different
types of dumplings in the bowl... there were even some dumplings filled with
soup inside the wrapper, you can't say dumplings are the best, there are too
many different types.

You know the old saying that "Variety is the spice of life" well that is
true... if you get all hung up on a single focus food you are going to miss
out on everything else. Best food you can eat there is to share food and
sample it all.. Kind of like eating dim sum in the USA, you just sample
everything that looks good. Funny that you don't see many places selling
food like they push those dim sum carts around the USA, what the USA calls
Chinese food, is very different than they eat over there. I never saw one
fortune cookie in China.. I've lived in China close to 3 months of time, and
that is a decent amount of eating and I never saw even one fortune cookie
there.

But that is the best way to enjoy eating there, sample it all, don't get
focused on one thing, you'll miss everything else.. Variety is the best
feature of eating in China, and for the most part you won't see the same
thing on the menu at one restaurant as you'll see at the next, all places
seem to have their own specialties, they don't seem to focus on things like
"Peking" duck like the tourist in the USA seem to think about in China..
most food I get over there looks nothing like I see in the USA, and since I
don't speak Chinese I don't know how to ask for anything, good thing my wife
does all the ordering for me.

"J.Venning" wrote in message
k...
"BillReese" wrote in message
VARIETY.... How can anyone focus on "one" food there, I have no clue...
you
have to have a narrow minded appitite to focus on one thing there.

Good point. I would personally like to hear what food *you* think of
when you think of Beijing. Let's see if our tastes are similar.
J.

Old February 7th, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

Default What is best american restaurant in beijing?

What is the best high quality american - style restaurant in beijing
for a traditional american meal, such as steaks, seafood, roast
chicken, potatoes, and greens?

BillReese wrote:
[...]

"J.Venning" wrote in message
k...

Old February 8th, 2006, 03:46 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

What is the best high quality american - style restaurant in beijing
for a traditional american meal, such as steaks, seafood, roast
chicken, potatoes, and greens?

You can look that info up in books, you won't find many Americans who go
there to visit American restaurants there.

I do know you can go to many McDonalds, and KFC all over the country and
find out that those places serve food that is probably on par with most
restaurants in the USA.. Their junk food don't taste like the junk in our
own junk food stores, in fact it don't taste like junk food.. Over in
China they think food is very important, here in the USA food is a
necessity, and most food over here is the same old stuff.. steak and
potatoes, very boring menus that are the same everywhere... It's amazing
how over there even junk food is prepared with lots of pride. That is one
thing I never expected to see over there, I expected KFC to be like our
KFCs.. but they are not.. and it cost way, way less.

Old February 8th, 2006, 04:29 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:23:17 GMT, "BillReese"
wrote:

when you eat with a group of people, no one eats just one thing in China..

Right.

not just Beijing..

But probably especially in a place like Beijing, which as a capital
city has attracted people and influences from all over.

don't get hung up on Beijing food, it's basically the
same food everywhere else I've been.

[snip]

I haven't found that at all. Beijing food, though indeed a product of
diverse influences, is quite different from Shanghainese or Cantonese
food, for example. You mentioned dumplings (jiaozi). Jiaozi exist all
over the place, but Beijing-style jiaozi are a specialty, and are very
good, indeed. There are all sorts of other Beijing-area specialties,
and though I had no trouble passing on the silkworms and scorpions on
sale in the Wangfujing night market (which I thought was
underwhelming, anyway), I do think that most of the rest of the
specialties of that city and region are well worth having and
recommending. Beijing ka ya (roast duck) of course, but also the local
flatbreads, etc., etc., etc.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:17 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

Ira Humperdink MD wrote:
What is the best high quality american - style restaurant in beijing
for a traditional american meal, such as steaks, seafood, roast
chicken, potatoes, and greens?

Just eat all your meals at the Hard Rock Cafe.
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:22 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

"SMS" wrote in message ...
Ira Humperdink MD wrote:
What is the best high quality american - style restaurant in beijing
for a traditional american meal, such as steaks, seafood, roast
chicken, potatoes, and greens?

Just eat all your meals at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Nah, he wouldn't enjoy that. He's used to McDonald's
J.
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:24 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

is it possible to get blonde hookers in beijing? not the fake dyed
kind, the real blondes.

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:13 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

"Ira Humperdink MD" wrote in message ups.com...
is it possible to get blonde hookers in beijing? not the fake dyed
kind, the real blondes.

Yes, but you can't afford it.
J.
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:42 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

buddy, i could buy you with what I spent on dinner last weekend.

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:47 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

"Ira Humperdink MD" wrote in message oups.com...
buddy, i could buy you with what I spent on dinner last weekend.

I don't believe you.
J.