Hong Kong suggestions neeed

Old March 16th, 2006, 06:54 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Hong Kong suggestions neeed

Greetings,
Soon my wife, son and I will be adventuring off to Singapore and Hong Kong
for the first time.
I am hoping that there is a knowledgable traveler or local out there who
can provide us guidance towards a place to stay. We are looking for a
moderate to low cost place with good access to the immediate Hong Kong
attractions ...especially the hikes!!! How bout out on one of the
islands?

Old March 16th, 2006, 07:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Just read the messages from www.blueskyview.co.uk's Hong Kong topic from
2/24/06. Seems most suggest Kowloon with one vote for Tsin Sha Tsui.
With the public transportation so easy and efficient are there any
suggestions on the outskirts???
The Salisbury seems to only have single and double rooms...we are three.

Old March 16th, 2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

wheelwards wrote:
Just read the messages from www.blueskyview.co.uk's Hong Kong topic from
2/24/06. Seems most suggest Kowloon with one vote for Tsin Sha Tsui.
With the public transportation so easy and efficient are there any
suggestions on the outskirts???
The Salisbury seems to only have single and double rooms...we are three.

HK hotel rooms are typically very small compared to western standards.
Check out asiahotels.com and see if you can find anything. Eventhough
public transportations is efficient, it can get expensive. You want to
stay close to where the action is.

Old March 17th, 2006, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Thanks PeterL! Will do. Do you know anything about the YMCA Salisbury
Hotel?

Old March 18th, 2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

wheelwards wrote:
Thanks PeterL! Will do. Do you know anything about the YMCA Salisbury
Hotel?

Salisbury Y has an excellent location, central to everything. If you
can get a room there by all means. I think the rooms are a little
larger than your standard HK hotels.

Old March 18th, 2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Great advise! Thanks!
any other suggestions besides the Salisbury??

Old March 26th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:19:45 +0200, the renowned "Nick H."
niko25at@NOSPAM (at) yahoo.de wrote:

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:52:00 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

Actually public transportation is not expensive, but it's a good idea to
stay not too far away from where the action is. Kowloon is IMHO the best
choice.

I'd say there is also action going on on Hong Kong Island. ;-) I find more
stuff to do on HKG Island than in Kowloon. Moreover, Star Ferry rides and
subway are not too expensive.

They stop pretty early if you're staying Kowloon side and into boozing
it up in Lan Kwai Fong.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany