Military Coup in the offing

Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

Default Military Coup in the offing

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:52:22 +0800, "....lobert...." wrote:

As you and Dave said, what if you get a stupid dictator?
So what is your suggestion ?
Don't vote?

As I said - it's a crap system, but there is nothing better at the moment.

The solution is more educated people - notice that its' the mid-westerners &
country folks that have no exposure to the rest of the world that keep Bush
in power. Most of them wouldn't know where Iraq was on a map, but he has them
scared to death. The more cosmopolitan & educated citizens on the coast that
have more interaction with foreigners voted overwhelmingly against Bush.

The problem is - the governments know that they can stay in power by keeping
the people fat, dumb & happy. You just need to educate them enough to have
sufficient productivity, but keep them politically uneducated.

Dave
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:38:58 +0800, "....lobert...."
wrote:

What is the alternative for Thai then? Are there any opposition better
that
Thaksin?

I haven't been following it closely in the last 6 months, so I don't know
what the Opposition is like at this moment. However, the Thais are no
strangers to different parties in power. Anyone would be better than
Thaksin
- he should be in jail for tax fraud, not leading the country.

Singaporeans & Malaysians are the only ones been brainwashed that the
whole
country will fall apart if PAP/UMNO don't get voted back in. I wouldn't
put
it past them to cause trouble if it did happen...

Dave

Nope! that's what you think, not all Singaporean think that way.

What crime has Thaksin committed ? What tax fraud ?

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

&
country folks that have no exposure to the rest of the world that keep
Bush
in power. Most of them wouldn't know where Iraq was on a map, but he has
them
scared to death. The more cosmopolitan & educated citizens on the coast
that
have more interaction with foreigners voted overwhelmingly against Bush.

The problem is - the governments know that they can stay in power by
keeping
the people fat, dumb & happy. You just need to educate them enough to have
sufficient productivity, but keep them politically uneducated.

Dave

So only "educated" people should vote, the rest are not deserved?

So US voters are equally stupid ?

Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

"Noi" wrote in message
oups.com...

maxwell wrote:
"Noi" wrote ...
maxwell wrote:
"Noi" wrote ...
maxwell wrote:
1. It was not the people of the US who fought against Clinton (he

was
VERY popular)

*****Only the shameless liberals would claim received a mere 24%

votes
of the total eligible voters as very popular!

Surely even you could make the point that winners are more popular

than
losers without having to call names.
Have you been taking lessons from Tchiowa, or does having a weak

argument make you feel like cursing? ;~)

You should learn to take it as well as you dish it out!
Perhaps, you are confuse between fact and cursing, then, that's not my

problem.

Noi, the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll (not a ONE of which is a liberal
organization) cited in

by Spehro (2 posts away in the thread)
and linking to
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/02/01/clinton.poll/
besides noting that it was NOT 'The Public' who favored impeachment:
q Should Congress Start Impeachment Hearings? Yes 13% No 85% /q
and that an over-zealous hatchetman did NOT represent the PUBLIC

interest:
q Starr's Investigation Fair 39% Unfair 55 %/q
also showed a 69% approval rating for Bill Clinton.

So, your argument is as weak as Clinton's popularity was strong, and

SHOWS
the LIE of your "only shameless liberals would claim . . . (Clinton to

be)
popular"
Thus, it is not *I* who has facts confused.
. . but don't let YOUR lack of TRUTH get in the way of your

contentions--or
further name calling.
Thank you! ;~)
-maxwell

Yep, the slick willie was so popular

That's correct. I see you went on to confuse Clinton's popularity with that
of Congressional politicians of his party, which are quite two different
things, though I suppose this saves face over admitting you'd lied about
Clinton's popularity.-
-maxwell

Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

"....lobert...." wrote
interesting information about Putin
Thank you.
Might I assume you've no real interest in further discussing the topic of
this
thread?
--maxwell

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:21 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:42:56 +0800, "....lobert...." wrote:

Singaporeans & Malaysians are the only ones been brainwashed that the
whole country will fall apart if PAP/UMNO don't get voted back in. I wouldn't
put it past them to cause trouble if it did happen...

Nope! that's what you think, not all Singaporean think that way.

Of course not, but most of the ones that don't are in jail! :-)

Actually of course you are right, but obviously enough do to keep PAP in
power.

What crime has Thaksin committed ? What tax fraud ?

C'mon. Don't you read? Do YOU think that giving 160 million baht worth of
shares to his maid was done for anything apart from trying to hide assets? He
just hasn't been caught yet.

Dave
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:25 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:45:22 +0800, "....lobert...." wrote:

So only "educated" people should vote, the rest are not deserved?

Haven't we just spent the last 3 days going through this?

So US voters are equally stupid ?

You'll notice that my very first comment on the thread said ALL countries,
with ALL highlighted. And my last comment specifically mentioned the USA.
Hell, the analysers spent weeks showing the data - remember the red & blue
maps?

Dave
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:44 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On 2 Mar 2006 05:48:05 -0800, the renowned "Tchiowa"
wrote:

Noi wrote:

1. It was not the people of the US who fought against Clinton (he

was
VERY popular)

*****Only the shameless liberals would claim received a mere 24%

votes
of the total eligible voters as very popular!

More importantly, during that period of Clinton's administration his
approval rating was roughly where Bush's approval rating is now. Very
low. He was *not* popular during that period.

In Feb or March of 1998?

"The poll of 1,013 adults, conducted Jan. 30-Feb. 1, gave Clinton a 69
percent approval rating. That's the highest of Clinton's presidency
and better than Ronald Reagan's highest approval rating."

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/02/01/clinton.poll/

That came after the scandal started and the Republicans started the
impeachment process. Reagan's popularity was highest right after the
assasination attempt. Sympathy surge. Clinton's was highest right after
the impeachment process started. Sympathy surge.

So what?
1998 found his popularity all of 9 points higher than in September 1996.
Pre-election mud slinging dragged his approval rating down--that's politics
as usual, but YOUR claim has him popular solely from 'sympathy'
CNN/USA TODAY/GALLUP POLL
October 26-29, 1996.
Clinton Approval Rating

Now
September 54%
60%

But look at the statement this was in response to: "It was not the
people of the US who fought against Clinton (he was VERY popular)".

Yeah, that's correct.

That implies he was popular with the people and that the Congress
fought against him anyway. In fact he was quite unpopular when this

started.

Bull****. See above--or more likely, weasel and attempt to mislead.

The popularity surge came *after* Congress began fighting against him over

the Lewinsky affair.

He was originally elected with 43% of the vote. He was re-elected with
49% of the vote. His popularity during most of was in the 40s.

Rant on.

The last 2 polls taken in late 2000 and early 2001 (at the end of his

presidency) were 42% and 39%.

CNN again--January 10, 2001:
How do you think President Clinton will go down in history -- as an
outstanding president, above average, average, below average, or poor?
Outstanding 15%
Above average 32
Average 30
Below average 11
Poor 11

Job approval ratings for outgoing presidents

Clinton 65%
Reagan 63
Eisenhower 59
Bush 56
Ford 53
Johnson 49
Carter 34
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLI....poll.clinton/

,
Does that meet your definition of "VERY popular" (with the accent on
"VERY")? He was not a popular president and only got high ratings
*after* the people felt sorry for him because of the impeachment
process and those quickly disappeared.

Yeah, like back in 1996--SO unpopular!
SO unpopular that he had a higher outgoing president's approval rating than
Eisenhower, Bush, and Reagan.
You're quite the joke, and I caught you lying again, Tchiowa.
No shame, punk?
-maxwell

Old March 4th, 2006, 04:14 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

wrote:

[...]

What happen to the court then? He bribed the judges? If the court decided
that a killer is not guilty, so be it.

Old March 4th, 2006, 04:17 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore

wrote:

So only "educated" people should vote, the rest are not deserved?

Haven't we just spent the last 3 days going through this?

So US voters are equally stupid ?

You'll notice that my very first comment on the thread said ALL countries,
with ALL highlighted. And my last comment specifically mentioned the USA.
Hell, the analysers spent weeks showing the data - remember the red & blue
maps?

There is nothing outsiders can do if the people are willing to elect their
own leader, good or bad, in a free election.