PCH (CA1) in March

Old February 9th, 2008, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Default PCH (CA1) in March

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 01:41:06 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:21:41 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

wrote in message
The trip I take, and recommend to others, is described on the page of
DRIVING DIRECTIONS at the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
and further detailed in the report "A Trip to Anaheim..." inked to it.

As Hatunen pointed out, you won't be near the PCH until you get to
Oxnard, about 330 miles from San Francisco's City Hall, beyond Santa
Barbara.

On the History Channel they had a special on building the coast highway.
The point out that the PCH is really only the far south part of the road,
but the whole route to Washington State from California is commonly
referred
to as the Pacific Coast Highway.

Apparently by people who don't live along it. I spent sixteen
years living within a mile or so of CA-1, and using parts of it
every day, and I heard no one in the SF Bay ever, ever refer to
it as "Pacific Coast Highway". But somewhere there was probably
someone, probably a newcomer.

And who the hell ever referred to it as the Cabrillo highway.

Since I never mentioned the Cabrillo Highway I'm not sure why you
did.

I have lived
with in 10-40 miles of it for 63 years, and we always referred to it as 1 or
the coast highway.

Right. But not as Pacific Coast Highway.

Old February 10th, 2008, 06:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 01:41:06 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Nope, Atlantic Coast highway. ;) Lots of people call it the PCH. Just
see how many you have brow beat on this newsgroup alone.

Old February 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:35:16 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I would agree that it is the Pacific coast Highway. But the
subject line shows PCH in caps.

Apparently even the History Channel knows what's right.

Old February 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Calif Bill wrote:
"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
to as the Pacific Coast Highway.
And who the hell ever referred to it as the Cabrillo highway.

Excepting the state designated number of '1', I think that you guys
can't expect naming to run the entire length. Increasingly, sections of
the various same numbered roadways are getting designated dedications
and namings. The same continous stretch of road will take on different
names as time goes on.

I grew up near the PCH as well, but then I've seen names changes in
Europe after single blocks.

It's change: get used to it.

Old February 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On 11 Feb 2008 09:57:14 -0800, (Eugene Miya)
wrote:

In article ,
Calif Bill wrote:
"Hatunen" wrote in message
. ..
to as the Pacific Coast Highway.
And who the hell ever referred to it as the Cabrillo highway.

Excepting the state designated number of '1', I think that you guys
can't expect naming to run the entire length. Increasingly, sections of
the various same numbered roadways are getting designated dedications
and namings. The same continous stretch of road will take on different
names as time goes on.

In he cadse of the Pacific Coast Highway, CA-1 to Oxnard, and the
Cabrillo Highway, CA-1 from near Santa Barbara to the San
Francisco county line, the names are prescribed in the California
Streets and Highways Code. Locally, different communities have
diffeent local names for them, but the "master" name remains.

I grew up near the PCH as well, but then I've seen names changes in
Europe after single blocks.

Not to belabor the obvious, but this isn't Europe.

It's change: get used to it.

It's not change unless the state asembly decides it is.

Old July 26th, 2019, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default PCH (CA1)

While looking for something else, I found this on Trip Advisor. If you go to this URL https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...alifornia.html , the following are the 8th and 12th posts.

From: Hankshanker
8. PCH it is!!
… if you truly want to engage SwingCha in a battle of wits and symantics, I'm afraid I'll have to abandon your crusade and leave you to your own devices. Just think of SwingCha as that grumpy but oddly endearing curmudgeon who happens to know more than anyone else and is always willing to let us know so.

From: SwingCha
12. PCH it is!!

The following was sent via http://petergreenberg.com/

[This will be made public.]

OK. I calm'd down, read your article, and reënraged. If this example of your work is typical, you have the wrong job!

Sir, you have so much wrong in your article "How to ride along the Pacific Coast Highway" that I sha'n't trust anything you write about places about which I'm ignorant because the evidence is that you probably are, too.

Let me focus it for you by asking if it would be correct to call the Hollywood Freeway (101) the Ventura Freeway (101) or the Bayshore Freeway (101) or the Redwood Highway (101)? If your answer is "No!", then you have a chance of understanding the following:

I don't believe you actually did it: taking a drive North, it's Morro Bay to Monterey! According to the California State Automobile Association, the distance is 119 miles. My car's odometer reports 128 miles. Monterey to San LuÃ*s Obispo is about 139 miles. It appears you didn't know where you were because you weren't there.

«The PCH . . . ends at U.S. 101 in Leggett in Mendocino County.»

Thoroughly, completely, legally, culturally, absolutely, and demonstrably wrong!

«The PCH can get crowded. In Los Angeles County more than 78,000 people are on the road every day. At its starting point in Dana Point, only 38,000 people use the PCH. But in Monterey, it jumps to 84,000, and 86,000 in San Francisco.»

Wrong! There is no use of the PCH in Monterey or San Francisco as it doesn't exist.

«The PCH passes vineyards and agricultural lands»

I cannot remember having seen any along the PCH. Where are they?

«One of the best stretches of the PCH is located on the Central Coast.»

The only PCH on the Central Coast is a street in or near Pismo Beach named "Pacific Coast Highway" that's approximately parallel to the highway Cabrillo/El Camino Real.

«Drivers are often so amazed by the views and vistas of the PCH that they don’t stop to experience nature.»

I doubt it. It's mostly congested, as you pointed out, and heavily urban.

«Several wine areas are located along the PCH, including Mendocino, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo and Sonoma counties.»

The PCH does not extend to those counties.

«heading north on the PCH, if you turn left on Carmel Valley Road»

First, the PCH doesn't exist there. If it did, you could not turn left on Carmel Valley Road as it ends at the Cabrillo Highway and is, travelling North, to the right of it.

We can discuss opinions infinitum. But facts are irrefutable. You could have easily created a factual document. You chose to expose yourself as either a liar, saying you took a trip you did not, or an irresponsibly careless blatherer with whom "journalist" ought never be associated.

You're welcome.