Why Bother to Fly Anymore?

Old December 25th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Anonymous Sender

Default Why Bother to Fly Anymore?

We're told to report THREE HOURS early to the airport. So here's the math
on a Los Angeles-to-San Francisco flight:

One hour to drive to LAX
Three hours wait at LAX
One hour flight time
One hour additional check-out/drive to final destination

Total: 6 hours.

To drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco point-to-point is 8 hours via
superhighway.

You save all of two hours. Figure out the cost per hour saved for one,
two, three and four passengers. The math speaks for itself.

For you younger travelers, you should know that 40 years ago you could
board a DC-3 in L.A. WITH NO TICKET AND NO WAIT, buy a ticket in flight,
and arrive in San Francisco in 2 1/2 hours flight time. All for $11.50 per
person each way.
Old December 25th, 2003, 02:33 AM
jcoulter

Anonymous Sender wrote in
acolo.com:

We're told to report THREE HOURS early to the airport. So here's the
math on a Los Angeles-to-San Francisco flight:

One hour to drive to LAX
Three hours wait at LAX
One hour flight time
One hour additional check-out/drive to final destination

Total: 6 hours.

To drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco point-to-point is 8 hours
via superhighway.

You save all of two hours. Figure out the cost per hour saved for
one, two, three and four passengers. The math speaks for itself.

For you younger travelers, you should know that 40 years ago you could
board a DC-3 in L.A. WITH NO TICKET AND NO WAIT, buy a ticket in
flight, and arrive in San Francisco in 2 1/2 hours flight time. All
for $11.50 per person each way.

Country Joe and the Fish have a song about flying high where he (CJ) gets
to the LA airport with $20 in his hand, he pays his fare he's in the air
flying back home again. . .

You could get coast to coast for less than $100 on military stand by oh
yeah
Old December 25th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article o.com,
Anonymous Sender wrote:

We're told to report THREE HOURS early to the airport. So here's the math
on a Los Angeles-to-San Francisco flight:

One hour to drive to LAX
Three hours wait at LAX
One hour flight time
One hour additional check-out/drive to final destination

Total: 6 hours.

To drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco point-to-point is 8 hours via
superhighway.

Piker. 5:45 minutes is a possible time (LAX-SFO or LAX-OAK) at legal speeds.

Been there, done that. I once missed my SJC-SNA flight and drove the
rental car home.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
Old December 25th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Miguel Cruz

Anonymous Sender wrote:
For you younger travelers, you should know that 40 years ago you could
board a DC-3 in L.A. WITH NO TICKET AND NO WAIT, buy a ticket in flight,
and arrive in San Francisco in 2 1/2 hours flight time. All for $11.50
per person each way.

$11.50 in 1963 dollars is about $67 today.

You can flip on your computer and punch in your credit card number on the
way out the door to the airport, get charged about $65, and up until a few
days ago (and starting again in a few weeks when the current hysteria dies
down), show up 30 minutes before departure.

Seems the major difference is that today (A) you can find out in advance
whether there's any space without having to wait on hold all day, and (B)
it's $2 cheaper.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 25th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Ed

How productive are you during and after driving eight hours? Kills the
whole
day doing nothing but driving. Using air travel, you wait on a few lines
and
spend time in the lounge at the gate. Bring your monthly bills, cellphone,
newspaper or favorite magazines along - wouldn't you do that at home?

Seems like the air is still the better way to go. You need to learn how to
improve your productivity and re-think your cost analysis. You may come
away from this with a more positive attitude.

Old December 25th, 2003, 05:55 PM
George Greene

Seems to me this is a tomato-tomahto thing......some of us can function
quite well after a lot of driving...and the stress of long lines, etc can be
a lot worse than anything on the highway....depends on the person.

Personally, I detest long lines and waiting in them. Even on the highway,
when I know there's a major jam ahead on the interstate, I'll exit and take
another road. Even if the "detour" saves no time at all, at least I'm
moving instead of "stuck" in traffic.

Anywhere I can drive in a day(8-10hrs) is not a candidate for a plane
trip.......especially these days.

.net...

Old December 25th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Des Perado

I am not flying again until either the airlines or the Government bans
anyone who even looks like they might be from the MiddleEast from getting on
the plane. If we would all get together and refuse to fly until they
enforced a total ban on passengers that even remotely looked like they might
be of Middle Eastern origin, it would happen faster than a you can take your
next breath.

Old December 25th, 2003, 11:47 PM
mrraveltay

Des Perado wrote:

I am not flying again until either the airlines or the Government bans
anyone who even looks like they might be from the MiddleEast from getting on
the plane. If we would all get together and refuse to fly until they
enforced a total ban on passengers that even remotely looked like they might
be of Middle Eastern origin, it would happen faster than a you can take your
next breath.

Why stop at flying? Why don't you just refuse to live in the US until
all Middle Eastern looklng people are banned from the country?
By chance, when you were a baby, did you ever get dropped on your head?

Old December 26th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Kenneth-

Des Perado wrote:

I am not flying again until either the airlines or the Government bans
anyone who even looks like they might be from the MiddleEast from getting on
the plane. If we would all get together and refuse to fly until they
enforced a total ban on passengers that even remotely looked like they might
be of Middle Eastern origin, it would happen faster than a you can take your
next breath.

What about the European looking Americans? Such as the home grown
terrorists that have blow up buildings (Oklahoma City) and plan on using
chemical weapons like sodium cyanide (Tyler, TX).