Madrid to Algeciras by... ?

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Ray Clouse

Default Madrid to Algeciras by... ?

Next month I will be travelling to Spain and I need to get to Morocco
ASAP. My first thought was to take the train to Algeciras and then
the ferry to Tangier, but the train schedule doesn't fit with the
arrival of my flight. So I figure my options a

Take the bus to Algeciras.

Take the train to Cadiz and then the bus to Algeciras.

Take a Morocco-bound bus from Madrid as (very briefly) mentioned in
Lonely Planet.

Any advice from other travellers or Spanish residents on this?
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Michael Greis

Am 14 Jan 2004 09:12:46 -0800 hat Ray Clouse
geschrieben:

Take the bus to Algeciras.

Take a Morocco-bound bus from Madrid as (very briefly) mentioned in
Lonely Planet.

One of the above.
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:00 PM
cb

Here's another possibility.

First, take the AVE train to Sevilla, which takes about 3 hours.
When you arrive at the Santa Justa train station in Sevilla, rent a car
one-way and drop it off in Algeciras. There are numerous car rental
companies at the train station.
I would suggest you book the car rental ahead of time. When I vacationed in
Andalucia back in 2001, I rented with www.alamo.com and there was no one-way
drop off charge for picking it up in Sevilla and dropping it off in Cordoba
a few weeks later.
There are obviously several caveats to this alternative. You have to hook up
with at car rental company that has an office at or near Algeciras, and one
that doesn't have a one-way drop off charge or if there is a charge, it's
not prohibitively expensive.

The other dynamic I don't know is how much you want or can spend, because
couldn't you do this by air? Perhaps flying from Madrid to Cadiz or Malaga?

om...

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Copeti

Another cheap and quick possibility is take a flight:
Madrid-Melilla.
Melilla is one of the Spanish cities in Africa, and is very easy to cross
the border.
Greatings

Old January 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Ray Clouse

I never considered flying cause I thought it would be too expensive, and
I was unaware that Iberia flew to Melilla. But it turns out flying is
just a little more expensive than other transportation. Plus it
saves me about 7 hours too. Muchas gracias Copeti!

Old January 20th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Copeti

That sounds good!
If you need any information about a tour in Morocco, ask me.

m...