Royal Caribbean Reports Record Earnings!

Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Royal Caribbean Reports Record Earnings!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Royal Caribbean and thought it
would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings,
they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Royal Caribbean Reports Record Earnings

MIAMI, Feb. 2 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL; OSE).

* Key Highlights Second consecutive year of record earnings with
net income of $716.0 million, or $3.26 per share, and net income
before cumulative effect of a change in accounting principle of $663.5
million, or $3.03 per share.
* Significantly improved fourth quarter 2005 performance of a $3.6
million net loss, or $0.02 per share, as compared to a $25.8 million
net loss, or $0.13 per share, for the fourth quarter of 2004.
* Fourth quarter yields were up 8.2% which was significantly
better than expected due to a surge in demand which drove higher
prices, as well as strong onboard revenues.
* Fourth quarter Net Cruise Costs benefited from a drop in fuel
prices during the quarter and across the board cost control efforts.
* For the full year 2006, the company expects Net Yields to
increase 2% to 4% and earnings per share to be $2.95 to $3.15.
* For the first quarter 2006, the company expects Net Yields to
increase 1% to 2%, and earnings per share to be $0.45 to $0.50.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced a net loss for the fourth
quarter of 2005 of $3.6 million, or $0.02 per share, compared to a net
loss of $25.8 million, or $0.13 per share, for the fourth quarter of
2004. Revenues for the fourth quarter of 2005 increased 6.7% to
$1,029.6 million from revenues of $964.6 million in the fourth quarter
of 2004. Gross Yields and Net Yields for the fourth quarter of 2005
increased 6.1% and 8.2%, respectively, from the fourth quarter of
2004.

Our fourth quarter results were substantially better than expected,
driven by the following principal factors:

* Net Yields increased 8.2% over the fourth quarter of 2004.
Toward the end of the quarter, there was a surge in demand for late
bookings which drove higher ticket prices. Onboard revenues were
exceptionally strong as well.
* Gross Cruise Costs and Net Cruise Costs, on a per APCD basis,
increased 5.3% and 7.6%, respectively, compared to the fourth quarter
of 2004.
o Fuel accounted for 7.0 percentage points of the increase
in Net Cruise Costs. Fuel prices fell shortly after our last earnings
release in October 2005 and energy conservation efforts were
successful. Our "at- the-pump" fuel price averaged $424 per metric
ton, compared to previous guidance of $450 per metric ton, and $293
per metric ton in the fourth quarter of 2004.
o Non-fuel costs did particularly well. They were up only
0.6 percentage points due to across-the-board cost control
improvements in virtually every area of the business.

For the year, the company reported record net income of $716.0
million, or $3.26 per share, on revenues of $4.9 billion, compared to
net income of $474.7 million, or $2.26 per share, on revenues of $4.6
billion for 2004. Net income before cumulative effect of a change in
accounting principle was $663.5 million, or $3.03 per share. The
change in accounting principle resulted in a one-time gain of $52.5
million, or $0.22 per share, to recognize the cumulative effect on
prior years of a change in our method of accounting for drydocking
costs.

* Some of the key highlights of the year as a whole were as
follows: Net Yields increased 7.4% primarily due to higher ticket
prices and better onboard revenues.
* Gross Cruise Costs and Net Cruise Costs, on a per APCD basis,
increased 5.1% and 6.3%, respectively, compared to 2004. Most of the
increase was due to higher fuel costs, which increased $116 million
over the previous year and accounted for 4.7 percentage points of the
increase in Net Cruise Costs.

"This has been a very good quarter for the company and tops off
another excellent year," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief
executive officer. "It is unusual that everything comes together so
well as it did this quarter, but it certainly feels good when it
does."

Outlook - Full Year 2006

While only four weeks of the industry's "wave period" is completed,
bookings and pricing levels continue to be solid. As a result, the
company currently forecasts Net Yields for the full year 2006 will
increase in the range of 2% to 4% compared to 2005.

Our current "at-the-pump" fuel price is $425 per metric ton, which is
19% higher than the average price for 2005 of $358 per metric ton. If
fuel prices for the rest of the year remain at today's level, the
company estimates that its 2006 fuel costs (net of hedging and fuel
savings initiatives) will increase approximately $90 million. This is
substantially better than the level the company calculated as part of
its last guidance. The main reasons for the improvement include the
fall in at-the-pump pricing, and the anticipated benefits of energy
conservation initiatives and enhancements in types and sourcing of
fuels.

Commencing with the first quarter of 2006, the company will adopt the
new stock-based compensation accounting standard and begin expensing
stock options, which is expected to increase 2006 full year expenses
by $12 million.

Based on the above, the company estimates that Net Cruise Costs per
APCD for 2006 will increase in the range of 3% to 5% as compared to
the prior year. Higher fuel costs account for 3.0 to 4.0 percentage
points of this increase. Additionally, 2006 is another year of minimal
capacity increases. Capacity will grow more substantially in 2007 and
beyond, providing the company with improved economies of scale to
offset normal cost increases.

Depreciation and amortization is expected to be in the range of $425
to $445 million and net interest expense is expected to be in the
range of $245 to $265 million.

In late January 2006, the company partially settled its previously
announced lawsuit against Rolls Royce and Alstom Power Conversion, co-
producers of the Mermaid pod-propulsion system on its Millennium-class
ships, for the Mermaid pod problems. Under the terms of the partial
settlement, Alstom paid the company $38 million, or $0.16 per share,
and the company released Alstom from the suit which remains pending
against Rolls Royce. The partial settlement will be recorded in the
first quarter of 2006.

Based upon the expectations and assumptions contained in this outlook
section (including the legal settlement of $0.16 per share),
management expects full year 2006 earnings per share to be in the
range of $2.95 to $3.15.

Outlook - First Quarter 2006

Expectations for the first quarter of 2006 are somewhat different than
the full year due to seasonal revenue patterns and the timing of
certain expenses. The company expects Net Yields for the first quarter
of 2006 will increase in the range of 1% to 2% compared to the first
quarter of 2005.

The company estimates that Net Cruise Costs per APCD for the first
quarter of 2006 will increase in the range of 12% to 13% compared to
the same quarter in 2005. Some of this is due to the increase in Net
Cruise Costs discussed above, and some to the timing of certain
expenses. The primary drivers are as follows:

* Higher fuel costs account for approximately 7.0 to 8.0
percentage points of the increase. Our current "at-the-pump" fuel
price is $425 per metric ton, which is 50% higher than the average
price for the first quarter of 2005 of $284 per metric ton. If fuel
prices for the rest of the quarter remain at today's level, the
company estimates that its first quarter 2006 fuel costs (net of
hedging and fuel savings initiatives) will increase approximately $45
million.
* Timing of refurbishment expenses due to a larger portion of
annual drydocks scheduled in the first quarter.
* Timing of SG & A expenses mainly due to rescheduling of
marketing expenses.

Based upon the expectations and assumptions contained in this outlook
section (including the legal settlement of $0.16 per share),
management expects first quarter 2006 earnings per share to be in the
range of $0.45 to $0.50.

The company has scheduled a conference call at 10 a.m. Eastern
Standard Time today to discuss its earnings. This call can be listened
to, either live or on a delayed basis, on the company's investor
relations web site at http://www.rclinvestor.com . A slide
presentation will accompany the conference call, and is also available
for viewing at http://www.rclinvestor.comhttp://www.rclinvestor.com/ .

Terminology

Available Passenger Cruise Days ("APCD")

APCDs represent double occupancy per cabin multiplied by the number of
cruise days for the period and are our measurement of capacity.

Gross Yields
Gross Yields represent total revenues per APCD.

Net Yields

Net Yields represent Gross Yields less commissions, transportation and
other expenses and onboard and other expenses per APCD. We utilize Net
Yields to manage our business on a day-to-day basis and believe that
it is the most relevant measure of our pricing performance. We have
not provided a quantitative reconciliation of projected Gross Yields
to projected Net Yields due to the significant uncertainty in
projecting the costs deducted to arrive at this measure. Accordingly,
we do not believe that reconciling information for such projected
figures would be meaningful.

Gross Cruise Costs

Gross Cruise Costs represent the sum of total cruise operating
expenses plus marketing, selling and administrative expenses.

Net Cruise Costs

Net Cruise Costs represent Gross Cruise Costs excluding commissions,
transportation and other expenses and onboard and other expenses. In
measuring our ability to control costs in a manner that positively
impacts net income, we believe changes in Net Cruise Costs to be the
most relevant indicator of our performance. We have not provided a
quantitative reconciliation of projected Gross Cruise Costs to
projected Net Cruise Costs due to the significant uncertainty in
projecting the costs deducted to arrive at this measure. Accordingly,
we do not believe that reconciling information for such projected
figures would be meaningful.

Passenger Cruise Days

Passenger Cruise Days represent the number of passengers carried for
the period multiplied by the number of days of their respective
cruises.

Occupancy Percentage

Occupancy Percentage, in accordance with cruise industry practice, is
calculated by dividing Passenger Cruise Days by APCDs. A percentage of
100% or higher indicates that three or more passengers occupied some
cabins.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that
operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a
combined total of 28 ships in service and two under construction. The
company also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada and
Europe through its cruise-tour division. Additional information can be
found on http://www.royalcaribbean.com, http://www.celebrity.com or
http://www.rclinvestor.com .

Certain statements in this news release are forward-looking
statements. Forward-looking statements do not guarantee future
performance and may involve risks, uncertainties and other factors,
which could cause our actual results, performance or achievements to
differ materially from the future results, performance or achievements
expressed or implied in those forward-looking statements. Such factors
include general economic and business conditions, vacation industry
competition, including cruise vacation industry competition, changes
in vacation industry capacity, including over capacity in the cruise
vacation industry, the impact of tax laws and regulations affecting
our business or our principal shareholders, the impact of changes in
other laws and regulations affecting our business, the impact of
pending or threatened litigation, the delivery of scheduled new ships,
emergency ship repairs, negative incidents involving cruise ships
including those involving the health and safety of passengers, reduced
consumer demand for cruises as a result of any number of reasons,
including geo-political and economic uncertainties, the unavailability
of air service, armed conflict, terrorist attacks and the resulting
concerns over safety and security aspects of traveling, the impact of
the spread of contagious diseases, our ability to obtain financing on
terms that are favorable or consistent with our expectations, changes
in our stock price or principal shareholders, the impact of changes in
operating and financing costs, including changes in foreign currency,
interest rates, fuel, food, payroll, insurance and security costs, the
implementation of regulations in the United States requiring United
States citizens to obtain passports for travel to additional foreign
destinations, weather, and other factors described in further detail
in Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.'s filings with the Securities and
Exchange Commission. The above examples are not exhaustive and new
risks emerge from time to time. We undertake no obligation to publicly
update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result
of new information, future events or otherwise. In addition, certain
financial measures in this news release constitute non-GAAP financial
measures as defined by Regulation G. A reconciliation of these items
can be found on our investor relations website at
http://www.rclinvestor.com .

Financial Tables Follow

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.
CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
(unaudited, in thousands, except per share data)

Quarter Ended Twelve Months
Ended
December 31, December 31,
---------------------
---------------------
2005 2004 2005 2004
---------- -------- ----------
----------
Passenger ticket
revenues $738,469 $703,406 $3,609,487
$3,359,201
Onboard and other
revenues 291,171 261,179 1,293,687
1,196,174
Total revenues 1,029,640 964,585 4,903,174
4,555,375
Cruise operating
expenses
Commissions,
transportation and
other 179,439 176,597 858,606
822,206
Onboard and other 54,238 56,795 308,611
300,717
Payroll and related 127,205 123,620 510,692
487,633
Food 67,111 67,622 270,674
269,436
Other operating 275,830 245,516 1,045,649
939,391
--------- -------- ----------
---------
Total cruise
operating expenses 703,823 670,150 2,994,232
2,819,383
Marketing, selling and
administrative
expenses 168,709 153,673 635,308
588,267
Depreciation and
amortization expenses 101,312 100,608 402,069
394,136
--------- -------- ----------
----------
973,844 924,431 4,031,609
3,801,786
--------- -------- ----------
----------
Operating Income 55,796 40,154 871,565
753,589
--------- -------- ----------
----------
Other income (expense)
Interest income 1,924 3,682 9,129
9,208
Interest expense,
net of interest
capitalized (60,459) (78,516) (269,750)
(309,977)
Other (expense)
income (865) 8,895 52,521
21,871
--------- --------- ----------
----------
(59,400) (65,939) (208,100)
(278,898)
--------- --------- ----------
----------
(Loss) Income Before
Cumulative Effect of
a Change in Accounting
Principle (3,604) (25,785) 663,465
474,691
Cumulative effect of a
change in accounting
principle -- -- 52,491
--
--------- --------- ----------
---------
Net (Loss) Income $(3,604) $(25,785) $715,956
$474,691
========= ========= ==========
=========
Basic (Loss) Earnings
Per Sha
(Loss) income before
cumulative effect of
a change in accounting
principle $(0.02) $(0.13) $3.22
$2.39
========= ========= =========
=========
Cumulative effect of a
change in accounting
principle $-- $-- $0.25
$--
========= ========= =========
=========
Net (loss) income $(0.02) $(0.13) $3.47
$2.39
========= ========= =========
=========

Diluted (Loss)
Earnings Per Sha
(Loss) income before
cumulative effect of
a change in accounting
principle $(0.02) $(0.13) $3.03
$2.26
========= ========= =========
=========
Cumulative effect of a
change in accounting
principle $-- $-- $0.22
$--
========= ========= ==========
=========
Net (loss) income $(0.02) $(0.13) $3.26
$2.26
========= ========= ==========
=========

Weighted-Average
Shares Outstanding:
Basic 210,313 200,447 206,217
198,946
========= ========= ==========
=========
Diluted 210,313 200,447 234,714
234,580
========= ========= ==========
=========

STATISTICS

Quarter Ended Twelve Months
Ended
--------------------
---------------------
December 31, December
31,
2005 2004 2005 2004
--------- --------- ----------
----------

Occupancy 104.6% 103.4% 106.6%
105.7%

Passenger Cruise Days 5,631,766 5,535,406 23,178,560
22,661,965

APCD 5,386,416 5,354,396 21,733,724
21,439,288

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.
CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
(in thousands, except share data)

As of December
31,

------------------------------
2005
2004
-------------
-------------
(unaudited)
Assets
Current assets
Cash and cash equivalents $125,385
$628,578
Trade and other receivables, net 95,254
84,899
Inventories 57,803
60,260
Prepaid expenses and other assets 98,568
86,869
-------------
-------------
Total current assets 377,010
860,606
Property and equipment - at cost
less accumulated
depreciation and amortization 10,276,948
10,193,443
Goodwill - less accumulated
amortization of $138,606 283,133
278,561
Other assets 318,680
631,474
------------
-------------
$11,255,771
$11,964,084
============
=============

Liabilities and Shareholders' Equity
Current liabilities
Current portion of long-term debt $600,883
$905,374
Accounts payable 159,910
162,973
Accrued expenses and other
liabilities 342,995
330,073
Customer deposits 884,994
875,082
------------
--------------
Total current liabilities 1,988,782
2,273,502
Long-term debt 3,553,892
4,826,570
Other long-term liabilities 158,632
59,492

Commitments and contingencies

Shareholders' equity
Common stock ($.01 par value;
500,000,000 shares authorized;
216,504,849 and 201,253,140 shares
issued) 2,165
2,012
Paid-in capital 2,706,236
2,206,157
Retained earnings 3,132,286
2,533,265
Accumulated other comprehensive
(loss) income (28,263)
71,363
Treasury stock (6,143,392 and
596,556 common shares at cost) (257,959)
(8,277)
-------------
--------------
Total shareholders' equity 5,554,465
4,804,520
-------------
--------------
$11,255,771
$11,964,084
=============
==============

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.
CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS
(in thousands)

Twelve Months
Ended
December 31,
------------
------------
2005
2004
------------
------------
(unaudited)
Operating Activities
Net income $715,956
$474,691
Adjustments:
Depreciation and amortization 402,069
394,136
Cumulative effect of a change in
accounting principle (52,491)
--
Gain on redemption of investment (44,207)
--
Accretion of original issue
discount on debt 45,718
52,562
Changes in operating assets and
liabilities:
Increase in trade and other
receivables, net (19,349)
(3,256)
Decrease (increase) in
inventories 2,457
(6,813)
Increase in prepaid expenses and
other assets (5,009)
(17,196)
Decrease in accounts payable (3,741)
(25,987)
Increase in accrued expenses and
other liabilities 31,772
53,851
Increase in customer deposits 9,912
145,273
Other, net 28,273
9,730
-----------
------------
Net cash provided by operating
activities 1,111,360
1,076,991
-----------
-------------

Investing Activities
Purchases of property and equipment (429,898)
(630,670)
Purchases of short-term investments (56,500)
(732,165)
Proceeds from sale of short-term
investments 56,500
732,165
Proceeds from redemption of
investment 348,070
--
Other, net (7,198)
(1,840)

Financing Activities
Repayments of debt (1,564,715)
(361,386)
Net proceeds from issuance of debt 390,000
225,000
Dividends (118,764)
(104,521)
Proceeds from exercise of common
stock options 21,996
98,316
Purchases of treasury stock (249,122)
--
Other, net (4,922)
(3,398)

Net (decrease) increase in cash and
cash equivalents (503,193)
298,492
Cash and cash equivalents at
beginning of year 628,578
330,086
Cash and cash equivalents at end of
year $125,385
$628,57
===========
=============
Supplemental Disclosure
Cash paid during the period for:
Interest, net of amount
capitalized $236,477
$266,037
===========
=============

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.
NON-GAAP RECONCILING INFORMATION
(unaudited)

Gross Yields and Net Yields were calculated as follows (in
thousands,
except APCD and Yields):

Quarter Ended Twelve Months
Ended
December 31, December 31,
----------------------
-----------------------
2005 2004 2005
2004
----------- --------- -----------
----------

=========== ========= ===========
==========
Less:
Commissions,
transportation and
other 179,439 176,597 858,606
822,206
Onboard and other 54,238 56,795 308,611
300,717
----------- --------- -----------
----------
Net revenues $795,963 $731,193 $3,735,957
$3,432,452
=========== ========= ===========
==========

APCD 5,386,416 5,354,396 21,733,724
21,439,288
Gross Yields $191.15 $180.15 $225.60
$212.48
Net Yields $147.77 $136.56 $171.90
$160.10

Gross Cruise Costs and Net Cruise Costs were calculated as
follows
(in thousands, except APCD and costs per APCD):

------------ --------- ----------
----------

Total cruise operating
expenses $703,823 $670,150 $2,994,232
$2,819,383
Marketing, selling and
administrative
expenses 168,709 153,673 635,308
588,267
----------- --------- ----------
----------
Gross Cruise Costs 872,532 823,823 3,629,540
3,407,650
=========== ========= ==========
==========

Less:
Commissions,
transportation and
other 179,439 176,597 858,606
822,206
Onboard and other 54,238 56,795 308,611
300,717
----------- --------- ---------
----------
Net Cruise Costs $638,855 $590,431 $2,462,323
$2,284,727
=========== ========= ==========
==========

APCD 5,386,416 5,354,396 21,733,724
21,439,288
Gross Cruise Costs per
APCD $161.99 $153.86 $167.00
$158.94
Net Cruise Costs per
APCD $118.60 $110.27 $113.30
$106.57

Old February 6th, 2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

In late January 2006, the company partially settled its previously
announced lawsuit against Rolls Royce and Alstom Power Conversion, co-
producers of the Mermaid pod-propulsion system on its Millennium-class
ships, for the Mermaid pod problems. Under the terms of the partial
settlement, Alstom paid the company $38 million, or $0.16 per share,
and the company released Alstom from the suit which remains pending
against Rolls Royce. The partial settlement will be recorded in the
first quarter of 2006.

So they got $38 million from Alstom for the pod problems.....

--
Charles
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 21:31:26 -0500, Charles
wrote:

So they got $38 million from Alstom for the pod problems.....

Hi Charles,

Yes, that is correct. Most of the pod problems have been related to
the bearings and their mechanical function. According to Royal
Caribbean's CEO Dick Fain, those components were primarily the
responsibility of Rolls Royce, Dick said they expect to collect the
bulk of the damages from Rolls Royce.

Old February 6th, 2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

Yes, that is correct. Most of the pod problems have been related to
the bearings and their mechanical function. According to Royal
Caribbean's CEO Dick Fain, those components were primarily the
responsibility of Rolls Royce, Dick said they expect to collect the
bulk of the damages from Rolls Royce.

Yes, they certainly will be collecting damages from Rolls Royce too.

--
Charles