Volcanic Ash

Old April 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

Default Volcanic Ash

"Tom P" wrote in message
James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

There was a post about this that I thought was spam but it's for
real:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8622978.stm

Ash from a volcano in Iceland has shut down Northern Europe's
airports

The 99% of the European population that doesn't have to fly anywhere
right now is currently enjoying the sight of glorious blue skies
completely free of contrails, a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
I live 10 miles from the nearest airport and although I never
considered aircraft noise to be a nuisance, the sudden stillness is
deafening - all I can hear is the sounds of spring, birds singing
and the occasional lawnmower somewhere far off in the distance.

Yup - it really is surprising how quiet it is without air traffic and
I'm over 20 miles from the nearest airport. And the skies - completely
blue with not a single cloud or vapour trail!

--
Andy

Old April 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:16:50 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

There was a post about this that I thought was spam but it's for real:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8622978.stm

Ash from a volcano in Iceland has shut down Northern Europe's airports

Yep. It has done a number of overseas flights. My brother is worried
because he has a flight booked for two weeks from now. It could be over
by then, or it could be worse.

We could be in a global winter. At least it will shut up the global warmers for
a while.

Why? Such disasters would only enhance the effects of climate change.
(And anyone who knows anything about the scientific basis will tell you
that "global warming" is a misnomer - that extreme weather at both ends
of the scale are to be expected as an effect of climate change.)
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Poetic Justice wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote;

First place I saw it was a post here about
UK airports being closed! Despite CNN
and Cable, apparently we get even less
"real" news in the U.S. than I realized.

Lock your doors, pull-down your shades, turn off the lights, put the TV
volume down to a very soft whisper and put on the FOX channel:-).

I might, if FOX's ubiquitous political commentary didn't elevate my
blood pressure! (Any network that could consider the moronic Alaska
soccer mom an "expert" on ANYTHING ......!)
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Tom P writes:

The 99% of the European population that doesn't have to fly anywhere
right now is currently enjoying the sight of glorious blue skies
completely free of contrails, a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I live 10 miles from the nearest airport and although I never
considered aircraft noise to be a nuisance, the sudden stillness is
deafening - all I can hear is the sounds of spring, birds singing and
the occasional lawnmower somewhere far off in the distance.

It was your choice to live 10 miles from the nearest airport.

I have airports around me on several sides and I haven't really noticed any
difference. Modern aircraft don't make that much noise.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Mxsmanic wrote:

I have airports around me on several sides and I haven't really noticed any
difference. Modern aircraft don't make that much noise.

So...

Deaf and daft...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

2William Black wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

I have airports around me on several sides and I haven't really noticed any
difference. Modern aircraft don't make that much noise.

So...

Deaf and daft...

Mixi might be confused as to what he ought to hear! IIRC you don't get
much traffic above central Paris given the approaches. London, for
example, is a very different story. I live in the centre of Manchester
and only rarely hear aircraft, despite being able to see them land
(well, final approach) from my study. If you removed traffic noise, you
might hear them more, but if you watch an aicraft land from a couple of
miles away, you'll not generally hear it IME.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
2William Black wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

I have airports around me on several sides and I haven't really noticed any
difference. Modern aircraft don't make that much noise.

So...

Deaf and daft...

Mixi might be confused as to what he ought to hear! IIRC you don't get
much traffic above central Paris given the approaches. London, for
example, is a very different story. I live in the centre of Manchester
and only rarely hear aircraft, despite being able to see them land
(well, final approach) from my study. If you removed traffic noise, you
might hear them more, but if you watch an aicraft land from a couple of
miles away, you'll not generally hear it IME.

That is certainly true. Where I live is halfways rural, and there's
little traffic noise except when the kids wind up their mopeds - we get
some low flying aircraft flying approach on certain wind conditions, and
we get the big 747s climbing up from Frankfurt over 100 miles away, and
sometimes you can hear big jets on their full power takeoff from the
airport. But it seems as if the airport or air traffic is creating a
background noise level that you only notice when it stops. It's like
when you have a power blackout and you notice how suddenly all that
whirring and humming in the background suddenly stops.

T.

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Martin writes:

We are 20 km from Schiphol we hear the incessant noise planes make as they pass
overhead, sometimes as low as 1000'.

Nobody approaching or departing from Schiphol is going to be at 1000 feet 20
miles out from the airport.
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_42_]

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:04:09 +0100, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:

Yup - it really is surprising how quiet it is without air traffic and
I'm over 20 miles from the nearest airport. And the skies - completely
blue with not a single cloud or vapour trail!

yes, the global dimming effect is dying away.
--
Mike
"if a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk,
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_42_]

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 23:25:53 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Modern aircraft don't make that much noise.

the perfect mixibolox.