Pictures about Botswana

Old January 29th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Marcaval

Default Pictures about Botswana

A gallery of pictures about my october travel in botswana and Zimbabwe:
http://www.marcocavallini.it/botswaen.html

Hi

Marco

Old January 30th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Scott Elliot

You have some very good pictures. Congratulations.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Old February 15th, 2004, 02:20 AM
meeso

"Marcaval" wrote in message
A gallery of pictures about my october travel in botswana and Zimbabwe:
http://www.marcocavallini.it/botswaen.html

Hi

Marco

Hello Scott,
you have some wonderful pictures too.

I just came back from a quite long trip that started from Sinai, through
Aswan "Egypt", to Sudan. I was always interested in photography since a
very young age. Though, I never had the chance to develop that into a
real profession or at least, enjoy the advantage of a *real* camera.
(mine is just a regular one with no options at all, except for the auto)
.
But this time, in this trip, I experienced something for the first time
which I found so unique. In those very moments which I found the kind of
places which I loved and traveled specially to see, and in these very
special moments of free feeling and thought (which always comes in
accordance to nature and beauty), for the first time, I felt that - more
than contemplating these images or even enjoying them - I felt that I
want to catch it with my camera. And it was a feeling that kept
occurring all the time whenever I thought of an image as special or
really beautiful. and it was always too strong in way that made me
astonished of myself, a strength of feeling which happens so
automatically in a way I'm not equal to at all. & I would do anything to
take the shoot, however dangerous it is to achieve that. I no more
perceive the image, I see it for the first time, a moment later, the
*only* thing I want is to shoot it, If I do that, it's enough - even if
I still can look at it, & maybe I do that, but it's never like before
(& sometimes I feel sad because somehow I try to hide this notion
that the image has lost its value once I shoot it - & indeed, I always
enjoyed these splendid scenes when I didn't have my camera or rather
when I know that it was impossible to bring it. Though, sometimes in
these situations I said: "I hope I had my camera"). & I usually solved
that by letting several minuets for contemplating and enjoying the
image before I shoot it. and sometimes, shooting it made me appreciate
it a lot more.
I'm not quite sure where this power come from, and why... Once my trip
is finished I stopped thinking about it. but now after I saw your
pictures, I remembered everything. And I was just wondering, whether
you're familiar with that, or whether you went through or heard about
something similar.
However, the piece "Hoar frost on branches" is indeed, a piece of art.
(in the Winter Colours category).

Best,
--
Maysara
www.fsf.org

Old February 15th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Scott Elliot

Hi Maysara,

We shouldn't try to turn this into a photography forum, but I photography is
an important part of my travel to Africa and elsewhere. I have always
enjoyed seeing and observing nature. It is very difficult to capture the
full grandeur of many places on a small piece of paper or computer screen,
so you have to try and decide what it is about something that interests you
and concentrate on that. For example, I couldn't capture the effect of a
whole forest sparkling with hoar frost on a small picture, but I could show
a few twigs in context with the surroundings. In Africa photography gives
me an excuse to stay and observe longer than the people who just want to
check off a game list and move on the next species. In order to get a good
photo I have to stay and wait for something interesting to happen that I can
photograph. Sometimes my wife does not find this very interesting, but we
come to reasonable compromises.

My main problem is that I don't really like spending a lot of time on the
computer. I have several thousand pictures from South Africa in 2002 that I
keep intending to organize into a series of web pages, but I still haven't
forced myself to sit down at the computer. Someday I will have pages on
West Coast National Park, Namaqualand, Kgalaghadi National Park, Mountain
Zebra National Park and Kruger National Park.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

news

Old February 15th, 2004, 11:32 PM
meeso

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:04:58 +0000, Scott Elliot wrote:

Hi Maysara,
We shouldn't try to turn this into a photography forum,

Sorry but, I can't seem to find any problem with having a little side-chat
about something that is, not necessarily even related to the topic of the
group but, somewhat, coming from the interest of people who happen to be
interested in the group, and about something that is derived directly from
*traveling*, which is, shooting while lurking around. (photography in
travelling).
This is not, and not supposed to be a tyranny.

Thanks for your reply.

--
Maysara
www.fsf.org
Old February 16th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Liz

In message
meeso wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:04:58 +0000, Scott Elliot wrote:

Hi Maysara,
We shouldn't try to turn this into a photography forum,

[snip]
This is not, and not supposed to be a tyranny.

Discussion of photography *is* clearly allowed by the terms of the charter.

"Even though the main topic and dominant subject feature is travel,
discussion may also include topics such as culture, archaeology,
architecture, ethnology, photography, history, geology, politics, diving,
mountain climbing, arts, music, cuisine, ecology, ornithology, etc,."

Apart from the usual rules of netiquette, about the only Africa-related
topic which isn't allowed by the charter is commercial advertising.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia