Italian lakes : budget law cuts hit on ship service

Old February 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,misc.transport.rail.europe

Default Italian lakes : budget law cuts hit on ship service

This may interest anybody planning to visit lakes Maggiore, Como and
Garda.

Yesterday's issue of Corriere della Sera (a summary is available at
http://archivio.corriere.it/archivio...se=&eyear=2006)
announce that the budget law (Legge Finanziaria) has cut 8 million euro
to the Gestione Governativa Navigazione Laghi (governmental management
of lake shipping services).

As a result of this, there will be no ship service at all on the Lecco
branch of the Como lake, and there has been a cut in the frequencies of
the sailings on the other lakes. Further cuts of 30% are likely to
affect tourist services, as it is planned not to hire about 150
temporary staff.

Lake Iseo is unaffected since it lies entirely in Lombard territory, and
is managed by the Region.

Please note followup to rte only.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:24:44 +0100, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

This may interest anybody planning to visit lakes Maggiore, Como and
Garda.

Yesterday's issue of Corriere della Sera (a summary is available at
http://archivio.corriere.it/archivio...se=&eyear=2006)
announce that the budget law (Legge Finanziaria) has cut 8 million euro
to the Gestione Governativa Navigazione Laghi (governmental management
of lake shipping services).

As a result of this, there will be no ship service at all on the Lecco
branch of the Como lake, and there has been a cut in the frequencies of
the sailings on the other lakes. Further cuts of 30% are likely to
affect tourist services, as it is planned not to hire about 150
temporary staff.

And Berlusconi tells us to join the Grand Opera - Viva l'Italia!!!!

Maybe next term he will switch his attention to the economy, seeings
as he has done such a sterling job of his own affairs in the last 4.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

[...]

I do not understand why the State shoukld support
companies that are unable to support themselves..
everything that belongs to the state or depends on the state loses big money
why should the normal taxpayer pay for inefficiency ??

Is Mrs Thatcher already forgotten ??
after all. she was right..

as soon as in Italy they try to follow her example
at once people are against..
funny Italy
everybody is against the State. but everybody wants the State to pour money
in everything

thanks God.. the State cannot pour money into Alitalia

why should the normal taxpayer pay .. and the normal passenger pay.. for a
company where people just do not go to work or strike as soos as they try
to make them work ??

let Alitalia go bankrupt.. and all companies thta cannot support themselves.
---

Old February 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:05:58 GMT, "tile" wrote:

I do not understand why the State shoukld support
companies that are unable to support themselves..
everything that belongs to the state or depends on the state loses big money
why should the normal taxpayer pay for inefficiency ??

A service that's used by a lot of tourists in a region highly
dependent on tourism is a case where state support can be justified.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"tile" wrote in message

Is Mrs Thatcher already forgotten ??
after all. she was right..

Not a view widely shared in Britain, where the Tories saved the 1992
election by dumping her, and where Tories at the present time try to
distance themselves from her as much as possible. She isn't forgotten, but
Cameron fervently wishes she was!

Incidentally, the Corriere article requires login and subsription to access
it via the link given in the original posting.

Alan Harrison

Old February 10th, 2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

B Vaughan wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:05:58 GMT, "tile" wrote:

I do not understand why the State shoukld support
companies that are unable to support themselves..
everything that belongs to the state or depends on the state loses
big money why should the normal taxpayer pay for inefficiency ??

A service that's used by a lot of tourists in a region highly
dependent on tourism is a case where state support can be justified.

I am sorry but I do not agree

If we accept such principle..
we should pay for the inefficienty of all services..
starting from the Post office and Railways..
People should pay for services.. and get good services
Italian railways for instance are much cheaper than european railways (
generally speaking ) but we cannot compare the services.
is is better to get a good train that arrives on time
and pay for it.
or pay less money for a bad train that almost never arrives on time ??

I remember the old communist times..
when people said..
they pretend to pay us a salary
and we pretend to work

a couple of euros more will not affect tourism..
but a good service will

Old February 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, tile wrote:

If we accept such principle.. we should pay for the inefficienty of
all services..

The shipping service on the Lombard lakes was not inefficient at all.

starting from the Post office and Railways..

AFAIK the cost of postal service in the UK or Germany is not different
from the Italian one, and they work. And the degradation in the italian
railway service is mainly a matter of recent years ("guarda caso" when
the budget law applied cuts, which were translated into maintenance
cuts).

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, ALAN HARRISON wrote:

Incidentally, the Corriere article requires login and subsription to
access it via the link given in the original posting.

Can't really tell about the link I gave, it was the only one I could get
an URL for. Their "Archivio" site is a bit odd (not for all links one
can easily get an URL), but they state that articles from the last 2
weeks, and "short" articles since 1992 are free. I also got the login
window, but got past it with a few clicks or a reload, can't remember.

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, DDT Filled Mormons wrote:

And Berlusconi tells us to join the Grand Opera - Viva l'Italia!!!!

Grandi Opere (great works) - Grand Opera :-)
You got it right !
Probably the Rigoletto :-)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old February 10th, 2006, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:49:09 GMT, "tile" wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

Italian railways for instance are much cheaper than european railways (
generally speaking ) but we cannot compare the services.
is is better to get a good train that arrives on time
and pay for it.
or pay less money for a bad train that almost never arrives on time ??

I don't have many complaints about Italian trains. However, my
comparison is American trains, which cost maybe three times as much
as Italian trains and have a service not even half as good.
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"B Vaughan" wrote in message

I don't have many complaints about Italian trains. However, my
comparison is American trains, which cost maybe three times as much
as Italian trains and have a service not even half as good.

And my comparison is with British trains. I would agree with Barbara.
Italian railways are relatively cheap, and in my experience reliable. So far
as modernity of stock is concerned, I would have to agree with Tile that
things have slowed down after the very rapid update of the 1980s, when
"centoporte" stock seemed to disappear in the space of about three years,
but even the older mainline stock (e.g. the hauled stock used in IC trains)
is well maintained.

Alan Harrison