India maps

Old June 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

Default India maps

On Jun 4, 1:09*pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article cff925b2-25f2-4600-ba56-6b7d299f8965
@b5g2000pri.googlegroups.com, grusl says...

There is no national street atlas of any country - except maybe Monaco
- and you well know it.

I have one for Germany here.

The Finn estimated an Indian national street directory would have
10,000 pages for 3.3 million km2. Presumably, Germany being about a
tenth of the size, it has about 1000 pages?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 02:06:06 -0700 (PDT), grusl
wrote:

The Finn estimated an Indian national street directory would have
10,000 pages for 3.3 million km2. Presumably, Germany being about a
tenth of the size, it has about 1000 pages?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

The one I bought from a Shell station in Berlin was
excellent and quite detailed. It didn't include every street
in every village, but it did have the major cities and
certainly met my needs as I drove around the old East
Germany region.

I've lent it to someone, but IIRC it was about A4 size and
about 1cm thick.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

wrote:

The Finn estimated an Indian national street directory would have
10,000 pages for 3.3 million km2. Presumably, Germany being about a
tenth of the size, it has about 1000 pages?

The one I bought from a Shell station in Berlin was
excellent and quite detailed. It didn't include every street
in every village, but it did have the major cities and
certainly met my needs as I drove around the old East
Germany region.

I've lent it to someone, but IIRC it was about A4 size and
about 1cm thick.

OK I stand corrected, Alan. There are indeed national street directories.
There isn't one for India but the national (and state) road atlases
available here serve perfectly well for driving or being driven.

I am now checking out your Hong Kong photos.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti

The Eicher India Road Atlas scale ranges from 1:750,000 to
1:1,200,000. Eicher City maps of Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta, Chennai and

For car navigation maps in this scale are only sketchy. They can be used for
planning. For actual navigation they are inaccurate.

Bangalore are 4cm to 500m, which is what, 1:12,500

It's perfectly useful. This GPS thing is a huge wank by the consumer-
electronics gadget industry.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________-

Ah! The town is really Bengaluru by name. The British Imperialists gave that
name you are using?

When in town and after visiting the Karnataka High Court on Dr Ambedkar Road
(which is running between the two red main buildings) I am willing to stroll
to the main railway station on foot. The path is around 2.4 kilometres as a
straight line in direction 265 degrees (about to west, the late afternoon
sun is guiding me).

So, first I came out from the main building south from the street. I turn to
left and start walking down the street in about southwest direction. After
walking some 580 metres (630) yards I appear in the edge of a square. On the
left hand runs Nrupathunga Road to south. No, I don't take that road.
On the right flows Seshadri Road (to northwest). I take this path as an easy
route to the railway station. Let's identify it as option one.Furthermore I
can keep walking straight ahead across the square. Here the street name
alters to Post Office Road (to southwest). Let's identify this route as
option two.

When on Seshadri Road, I walk along it all through to the end. I have walked
along Seshadri Road some 1910 meters (total distance from the Court House
some 2490 metres). I am standing at the edge of a roundabout (Khoday
Distilleries on right, by the way). I don't turn to right (north) because
the railway station doesn't reside anywhere there. I turn to left (south)
and continue to walk along Gubbi Thotadabba Road some 240 metres (2730
metres in total). Here on my right hand side is a parking lot. I walk
through it and finally, after having walked around 2890 metres ~ 2900 metres
~ three kilometres I have arrived at the destination point. The route is
merely some 20% lengthier as the route a crow flies. Very efficient indeed.

When choosing the option two at the intersection of Dr Ambedkar Road,
Seshadri Road, Post Office Road and Nrupathunga Road, I keep walking
straight ahead ( southwest and the street is Post Office Road now). The road
ends after a walk of 710 metres (1290 metres from the court house). Here I
don't turn to left because District Office Road leads to south which is all
wrong a direction. Nor do I walk straight ahead along Avenue Road (a
slightly funny name for a street, don't you think) because the southwest
direction also is far from optimal. Instead I turn to right and start
walking along Kempegowda Road which goes to west northwest and suits my
purposes much better. When I have walked some 800 metres (2090 metres from
the court house) the road ends and it joins Dhanvanthri Road which runs in
north-south direction. Naturally I turn to right (north) because the railway
station is there (on Dhanvanthri Road the Sangam Shopping mall stands on my
right hand side, by the way). After having walked some 220 metres (2310
metres from the court house) on my left (west) is the Kempegowda Bus
Station. I turn to left and start walking along the bridge erected in order
to bypass the bus station. This leg is around 380 metres long and I have
been walking some 2690 metres from the court house. Actually I am standing
on Gubbi Thotadabba Road now and the same parking lot as in option one is
right in front of me. The last hop of 160 metres and I am there at the
railway station.The total length of the path from the court house being 2850
metres ~2900 metres ~ three kilometres. The route is effectively as long as
the other.

Naturally local fellows are aware of some foot paths which shorten the
distance between the two ends by - say a couple of dozen metres. Should I
say that I have never been to Bengaluru or anywhere in India or South Asia
as that matter.

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
On Jun 4, 1:09 pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article cff925b2-25f2-4600-ba56-6b7d299f8965
@b5g2000pri.googlegroups.com, grusl says...

There is no national street atlas of any country - except maybe Monaco
- and you well know it.

I have one for Germany here.

The Finn estimated an Indian national street directory would have
10,000 pages for 3.3 million km2. Presumably, Germany being about a
tenth of the size, it has about 1000 pages?

__________________________________________________ __________________________--

I was talking about road atlases being accurate enough for inter city road
navigation. 1:200.000 are pretty good. All Nordic countries are projected by
such maps (supposedly Denmark is very easy in this respect). For instance I
have a Michelin copy in scale 1:200.000 covering all of France (around
550.000 square kilometres). It is rather thick....... I have seen Germany
being projected in scale 1:130.000. Austria and Switzerland as well. Finland
is covered by maps in scale 1:20.000. The main target isn't the motorists.
It could be a bit clumsy and expensive to use them. They come in about 4000
sheets........

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

__________________________________________________ _________________________*___-

Ah! The town is really Bengaluru by name. The British Imperialists gave that
name you are using?

No. It's the native Kannada romanization, and some linguists say it
should be Bengalooru. Hindi (and other northern) speakers call it
Bangalore and they are not ze Britischer Imperialists. A lot of local
people still say Bombay and Madras. (If I ever find myself in Finland
I will say, "Crikey, I'm in Finland, get me out of here" not whatever
Finns or Swedes or Kannadigas call it).

[snip directions from High Court to Bangalore City RS]

They would indeed be your main walking options. The maps I use are
just as detailed; pretty much every building except houses is marked.
The map has a grid and a scale so I can figure out the distance.

wrong a direction. Nor do I walk straight ahead along Avenue Road (a
slightly funny name for a street, don't you think)

Avenue Road is a perfectly good name: an avenue is a line of trees.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
On Jun 4, 4:03 pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:

[snip directions from High Court to Bangalore City RS]

They would indeed be your main walking options. The maps I use are
just as detailed; pretty much every building except houses is marked.
The map has a grid and a scale so I can figure out the distance.

If we went a bit out from the city centre, this wouldn't be the case any
more. For instance your map doesn't project the Nagashettyhalli bus stand on
D Rajkopal Road at (13.04173, 77.57258) as Fjodor would put it. Very
important a detail. Many visitors to town use the bus stop.

Old June 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Jun 4, 5:06*pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:
"grusl" kirjoitti
On Jun 4, 4:03 pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:

[snip directions from High Court to Bangalore City RS]

They would indeed be your main walking options. The maps I use are
just as detailed; pretty much every building except houses is marked.
The map has a grid and a scale so I can figure out the distance.

If we went a bit out from the city centre, this wouldn't be the case any
more. For instance your map doesn't project the Nagashettyhalli bus stand on
D Rajkopal Road at (13.04173, 77.57258) as Fjodor would put it. Very
important a detail. Many visitors to town use the bus stop.

In lovely downtown Hebbal? It's a dot on the BMTC map, with full
instructions on using the line. Most buses have Kannada-only
signboards so it's good to take the map with you.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
On Jun 4, 5:06 pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:
"grusl" kirjoitti
On Jun 4, 4:03 pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:

[snip directions from High Court to Bangalore City RS]

They would indeed be your main walking options. The maps I use are
just as detailed; pretty much every building except houses is marked.
The map has a grid and a scale so I can figure out the distance.

If we went a bit out from the city centre, this wouldn't be the case any
more. For instance your map doesn't project the Nagashettyhalli bus stand
on
D Rajkopal Road at (13.04173, 77.57258) as Fjodor would put it. Very
important a detail. Many visitors to town use the bus stop.

In lovely downtown Hebbal? It's a dot on the BMTC map, with full
instructions on using the line. Most buses have Kannada-only
signboards so it's good to take the map with you.

It isn't in that map of yours we are talking about. The map in scale
1:12500.

Old June 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Jun 4, 5:16*pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:
"grusl" kirjoitti
[...]

The BMTC map comes with the directory. It's a foldout, like the
Underground map with the London A-Z

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore