India maps

Old June 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

Default India maps

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article , grusl says...

OK I stand corrected, Alan. There are indeed national street directories.

My car navigation system, quite small, about the size of a Palm
organiser, has maps of all Germany, Switzerland and Austria down to
street level (you can enter the street numbers).
--

My first piece was Garmin etrex Legend which I bought from an American
online shop in summer 2003. It's receiver wasn't most effective. The

My next machine was as I told a couple of days back in this forum a Garmin
GPSmap 76. I bought it in summer 2005. A lot of progress was made in a short
period of time. In Finland prices were fairly close to prices in the USA, so
there was little point to buy and ship machinery from there anymore. I paid
around 650 euros for the gadget. Reception was much more powerful (it needed
an external aerial for car navigation though). A colour screen. Water
resistant. Truly a multi purpose machinery. A non-expandable (it's greatest
shortcoming) memory pool of 115 MB (large enough to hold City Select (and
later City Navigator street maps) for all of Finland (took some 109 MB of
memory)). A pretty fast processor, a requirement for car navigation and
naturally both the hardware and software did support real time navigation on
road networks. No voice line though, which compromised somewhat it's
practicality for car navigation. Naturally it was possible to download
necessary subset of maps along any route generated. Unfortunately when a set
of all the subsets during a trip was greater than 115 MB, a laptop had to be
carried along. Necessary set of hardware and software cost around 1000 euros

My latest navigator is a TomTom One second edition bought in December 2006.
It has a lot more powerful receiver yet (Sirf III). No external antennas are
required. Memory can is extended by SD cards. One megabyte card holds latest
versions of either Western (not Greece) or Eastern (not all of them are
covered) Europe. A two MB card naturally stores them both simultaneously. I
paid 415 euros then for this plotter with Western European maps. Nowadays
they cost typically around 150 euros. Recently a navigator with maps
covering the Nordic countries sold by 60 euros.......

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

Actually the thread I had in mind is populated by identical ****
originating from an Indian news server.

I didn't know there was such a thing.

What's the address?

Mumbai (BOMBAY)Via Mahad and 120 K.M From Pune The Climate is

You see the line above.........

Filth is posted by google (non-indian) newsservers through Airtel servers
(very Indian).

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

Actually the thread I had in mind is populated by identical ****
originating from an Indian news server.

I didn't know there was such a thing.

What's the address?

Mumbai (BOMBAY)Via Mahad and 120 K.M From Pune The Climate is

You see the line above.........

Filth is posted by google (non-indian) newsservers through Airtel servers
(very Indian).

So there isn't an Indian newserver.

You were wrong, even though it's a very simple technical matter.

No surprises there...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

Mumbai (BOMBAY)Via Mahad and 120 K.M From Pune The Climate is

You see the line above.........

Filth is posted by google (non-indian) newsservers through Airtel servers
(very Indian).

So there isn't an Indian newserver.

You were wrong, even though it's a very simple technical matter.

No surprises there...

Time to enjoy your victory fully.

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Jun 4, 5:24*pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:
"grusl" kirjoitti

The BMTC map comes with the directory. It's a foldout, like the
Underground map with the London A-Z

Yes but it is a different map. Moreover you need tons of different maps. It
becomes very expensive to purchase them all. For instance you don't know by
studying your stock of paper maps which street Dontad street joins with at
it's northern end in Mumbai.

It comes together for Rs200. One map. Cheap.

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
On Jun 4, 5:24 pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:
"grusl" kirjoitti

The BMTC map comes with the directory. It's a foldout, like the
Underground map with the London A-Z

Yes but it is a different map. Moreover you need tons of different maps.
It
becomes very expensive to purchase them all. For instance you don't know
by
studying your stock of paper maps which street Dontad street joins with at
it's northern end in Mumbai.

It comes together for Rs200. One map. Cheap.

And it didn't tell that the street in question is Jb Shah Road.

Old June 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

"grusl" kirjoitti
On Jun 4, 5:24 pm, Markku Grönroos wrote:
"grusl" kirjoitti

The BMTC map comes with the directory. It's a foldout, like the
Underground map with the London A-Z

Yes but it is a different map. Moreover you need tons of different maps.
It
becomes very expensive to purchase them all. For instance you don't know
by
studying your stock of paper maps which street Dontad street joins with
at
it's northern end in Mumbai.

It comes together for Rs200. One map. Cheap.

And it didn't tell that the street in question is Jb Shah Road.

If you think Indian street names remain the same long enough to print a
newspaper, never mind a map, I have some news for you...

Google Map is particularly prone to urban roads in India being given names
that nobody knows about, nobody cares about and nobody uses.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"William Black" wrote in message

[...]

He's trying to make a statement of accuracy that has no place in the real
world. While he's pressing his Garmin buttons to find Shah Road and Khan
Avenue, I'll just be getting to my destination.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

And it didn't tell that the street in question is Jb Shah Road.

If you think Indian street names remain the same long enough to print a
newspaper, never mind a map, I have some news for you...

Google Map is particularly prone to urban roads in India being given names
that nobody knows about, nobody cares about and nobody uses.

And your point was? You put lots of strain on names of roads.

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .

He's trying to make a statement of accuracy that has no place in the real
world. While he's pressing his Garmin buttons to find Shah Road and Khan
Avenue, I'll just be getting to my destination.

You are very dishonest to yourself in this matter. I just wonder what on
earth for. Google maps are very accurate to project let's say the street
grid of Bengaluru. They are satellite pictures. Perhaps you are willing to
say that Russians and Iranians are tampering them. Everything I have said
this far is definitely most real. For instance this example of mine for two
alternative routes between the High Court and the main railway station in
Bengaluru didn't touch you anyhow? Naturally there are errors when
individuals make additions to vast databases.

For instance Google maps have direct links to pretty many photographs and
articles on the sights of the city. And naturally their absolute positions
which can be saved as POIs to a GPS navigator.

Obviously you have no experience nor knowledge about GPS navigation. Very
strong opinions you do have about them anyway.

Let's say Vjatseslav is in Bengaluru. He is travelling solo and he is not
escorted by anyone who knows the town. He has his paper map. Pretty
detailed. He is at the high court building and he wants to go to the street
corner of 12 Cross Road and Siddaiah Road at (12.94828, 77.59865) as Fjodor
would put it. This point is around 3.5 kilometres away from the place of
origin in direction 170. Which is about in south (slightly east too). And
about 160 metres southeast from Agadi hospital.

Now then he isn't as well supported in terms of navigation as Fjodor. He
believes he can do quite well with his 200rs map. Well, he won't. As you say
yourselves (you and a couple of other fellows) that street signs aren't
there but occasionally and when there is a street sign in place, the name
isn't necessarily in form of Latin transliteration as on Vjatseslav's map
(anything else on the map would be gibberish to Vjatseslav anyways).

Now then, the problem is basically the same as without a map: he doesn't
know where he is. Very fundamental a problem. When people are in position
like this we say that they are lost. Naturally they could (and they
typically should) ask the locals which way to go. Then arises all sorts of
language barriers. Then these folks cannot read maps. They know where they
are. They just can not locate their whereabouts on the map. They don't
necessarily know their whereabouts relative to your destination (your map is
no good). Naturally they can point the direction when you are going to the
railway station which is a place everyone living in town knows about. But
when you ask them to tell where is the corner of the 12 Cross Road and
Siddaiah Road, you almost certainly face ignorance and shake of shoulders.

Now then Fjordor, approached this problem from different direction. He just
stored the point (12.94828, 77.59865). He just walked in there (about along
the shortest path). He was fully independent in this. He didn't have to ask
local folks how to get there. He just ignored the street names along the
route. He didn't need to know about them. This is real life. I have
experienced it as zillions of other people. Do you want to comment these
lines above anyhow.