India maps

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

Default India maps

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

And it didn't tell that the street in question is Jb Shah Road.

If you think Indian street names remain the same long enough to print a
newspaper, never mind a map, I have some news for you...

Google Map is particularly prone to urban roads in India being given
names that nobody knows about, nobody cares about and nobody uses.

And your point was? You put lots of strain on names of roads.

Because getting into a cab in Bombay and saying 'AS Gaya Marg' will get you
a blank stare. Not only are there no signs that say that, nobody calls it
and the people who live on it don't even use it as their postal address...

Despite Google Map showing it as a main road, a VIP route and one of the
two main roads into the city.

Giving the latitude and longitude is a busted flush as well, and trying to
navigate around Bombay by travelling towards your destination opens a world
of hurt for you.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

And your point was? You put lots of strain on names of roads.

Because getting into a cab in Bombay and saying 'AS Gaya Marg' will get
you a blank stare. Not only are there no signs that say that, nobody
calls it and the people who live on it don't even use it as their postal
address...

When you are riding a taxi you aren't navigating yourself. We aren't talking
about situations like this.

Despite Google Map showing it as a main road, a VIP route and one of the
two main roads into the city.

Giving the latitude and longitude is a busted flush as well, and trying
to navigate around Bombay by travelling towards your destination opens a
world of hurt for you.

You get all the time the proper direction in this fashion. You just walk in
there. When the network is very irregular, it may cause some harm. Bombay
seems to be an easy piece of cake as far as navigation is concerned.

Old June 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

And your point was? You put lots of strain on names of roads.

Because getting into a cab in Bombay and saying 'AS Gaya Marg' will get
you a blank stare. Not only are there no signs that say that, nobody
calls it and the people who live on it don't even use it as their postal
address...

When you are riding a taxi you aren't navigating yourself. We aren't
talking about situations like this.

So, you haven't been to India then...

As a general rule Indian Bombay drivers can't even read the street signs,
never mind know the way to anywhere off the beaten track and tend to use the
old British names for streets...

Well, some of the time they do, and some of the time they don't,. it's
complicated...

Despite Google Map showing it as a main road, a VIP route and one of the
two main roads into the city.

Giving the latitude and longitude is a busted flush as well, and trying
to navigate around Bombay by travelling towards your destination opens a
world of hurt for you.

You get all the time the proper direction in this fashion. You just walk
in there. When the network is very irregular, it may cause some harm.
Bombay seems to be an easy piece of cake as far as navigation is
concerned.

Walk along the LJ Road looking for an address!

Have you got a death wish or something?

This is Bombay we're talking about mate, the traffic doesn't stop when it
knocks someone down, they just drive around you until a cop kicks what's
left into the gutter for an ambulance to haul away.

Look, everything you've posted indicates to me that you've absolutly no
idea baout traffic conditions in Indian major cities, or even how to walk
around one.

Please note, a very important point:

INDIA ISN'T LIKE ANYWHERE ELSE

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old June 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

When you are riding a taxi you aren't navigating yourself. We aren't
talking about situations like this.

So, you haven't been to India then...

Eh?

As a general rule Indian Bombay drivers can't even read the street signs,
never mind know the way to anywhere off the beaten track and tend to use
the old British names for streets...

And you are supposed to tell them the way to the destination?

Well, some of the time they do, and some of the time they don't,. it's
complicated...

Giving the latitude and longitude is a busted flush as well, and trying
to navigate around Bombay by travelling towards your destination opens a
world of hurt for you.

You get all the time the proper direction in this fashion. You just walk
in there. When the network is very irregular, it may cause some harm.
Bombay seems to be an easy piece of cake as far as navigation is
concerned.

Walk along the LJ Road looking for an address!

The address is saved in the plotter.

Have you got a death wish or something?

This is Bombay we're talking about mate, the traffic doesn't stop when it
knocks someone down, they just drive around you until a cop kicks what's
left into the gutter for an ambulance to haul away.

Hmh! Navigation in Mumbai is like in any other town in the world. We are not
talking about traffic.

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. fi...

"William Black" kirjoitti

As a general rule Indian Bombay drivers can't even read the street signs,
never mind know the way to anywhere off the beaten track and tend to use
the old British names for streets...

And you are supposed to tell them the way to the destination?

Quite often, yes...

Get a cab to Andeheri Village (which is actually deep inside the city
suburbs) and you'll end up telling the cab driver exactly how to get there.

That's assuming the vwehicle you're in is allowed to go where you want to
be...

Autorickshaws are not allowed over the causeways onto the island. But there
are places where the only passing public transport is the autorickshaws...

Getting an autorickshaw to Colaba is impossible, but they won't tell you
that. They'll drop you off at one of the causeways, where some the taxis
are driven by criminals who take anyone who looks prosperous down a nice
dark alley and rob them...

What clever people do is stop well short of the causeway and flag down a
passing cab.

Hmh! Navigation in Mumbai is like in any other town in the world. We are
not talking about traffic.

In Bombay everyone talks about the traffic...

And it is unlike any other town in the world...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"William Black" wrote in message

[...]

I think the regular cabs in Bombay are pretty good. Getting the
pronunciation right is the problem, especially with British names. If I say
Ballard Estate I get a blank look. Once I learned to say "Bala Desstay" I
was fine. Although with the Padminis, I'm only 167cm and still bang my head
on the window frames.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

[...]

I'm 173.

I find the rickshaws more comfortable than the cabs to get in and out of...

But when I'm there I live on the island.

So no rickshaws...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"grusl" wrote in message

[...]

Once the Bombay drivers see you take out an approximation of the fare and
they realise you know the meter multiple, they're fine. I haven't had a good
experience with the Bombay ricks, however.

Oddly, the reverse is true in Delhi: the cabs are insane shafters but if
you're wearing a suit and creep up behind a rick and shout AUTO at them,
they get flustered and rip you off less. I'll get charged say 50 roops for
ride that should cost 30.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

Get a cab to Andeheri Village (which is actually deep inside the city
suburbs) and you'll end up telling the cab driver exactly how to get
there.

I usually go to Andheri (see the correct spelling) to dine at Subway
Restaurant (19.11893, 72.85120) along MV Road about 200 meters southeast
from Ganpati Temple (also on MV Road). Sometimes I visit the MVLU College on
Azad Road nearby (19.12164, 72.85053).

Old June 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

Once the Bombay drivers see you take out an approximation of the fare and
they realise you know the meter multiple, they're fine. I haven't had a
good experience with the Bombay ricks, however.

Always ask to see the 'rate card' they're required to carry.

My wife and I always do.

It shuts them up right away.

--
William Black