Travel with Infant by plane (Cathay Pacific)

Old January 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Tchiowa

bar wrote:
Hello,
I`am planning to fly by Cathay Pacific airlines to Asia with my wife

and 20
months old son in March and I have few questions.
I have a reservation to fly on board Boeing 747-400, how look the

place for
the mother witch child?

In coach the bulk head seats have a place to hand a bassinet to sleep
in. Notify the airline and request that seat.

Is there a special place to lay down a child to sleep? I haven`t idea

how I
put up12 hours flight witch my wriggle son, he can`t sit down for a

second
;-)

If the bulk head seat is not available, buy your child his own seat.

Can I take on board collapsing stroller ?

No.

Do You have any other useful advice for me?

regards,
bar

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Peter L

"bar" wrote in message
Hello,
I`am planning to fly by Cathay Pacific airlines to Asia with my wife and

20
months old son in March and I have few questions.
I have a reservation to fly on board Boeing 747-400, how look the place

for
the mother witch child?
Is there a special place to lay down a child to sleep? I haven`t idea how

put up12 hours flight witch my wriggle son, he can`t sit down for a second
;-)
Can I take on board collapsing stroller ?

Do You have any other useful advice for me?

regards,
bar

As others have said your child is no longer an infant. He don't need a
bassinet (probably can't fit into one anyway). Tell the airline you are
traveling with a 20 mo toddler and they'll make appropriate seating
arrangements. Each child reacts differently of course. I have seen
children behave much better than adults on a 14 hour flight. And I have
seen children not behaving, just like adults.

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:25 PM
bar

Hello,
I`am planning to fly by Cathay Pacific airlines to Asia with my wife and
20
months old son in March and I have few questions.

I'd call a 20-month old kid a "toddler", not an infant.

The "infant" in subject reference fo 10% fare for ticket of course ;-)

regards,
bar

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:58 PM
bar

U¿ytkownik "Viviane" wrote in

At 20 months your son may be too big for a bassinet - they have a weight
limit. I think it's 8kg on Qantas.

ups..., my son weigth is more than 14 kg ;-)

If holding your child for such a long flight is a problem (and at 20
months they are getting big and active) another solution is to buy a seat
for him.

It's too big difference in price :-(

regards,
bar

Old January 18th, 2005, 09:47 PM
chilly

"bar" wrote in message

U¿ytkownik "Viviane" wrote in

At 20 months your son may be too big for a bassinet - they have a weight
limit. I think it's 8kg on Qantas.

ups..., my son weigth is more than 14 kg ;-)

If holding your child for such a long flight is a problem (and at 20
months they are getting big and active) another solution is to buy a

seat
for him.

It's too big difference in price :-(

Then you'll have to figure out how to keep him held in your lap all that
time and if you can't do that, then try to figure out how to keep him from
disturbing the other passengers.

I don't mind kids on the plane, as long as they aren't crying, yelling,
screaming, running up and down or kicking my seat, especially while I'm
trying to sleep.

Call me an old grump if you want to, but I paid for my ticket too and
shouldn't have to suffer just because you don't want to pay for a ticket for
your child.

Old January 19th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Wolfie

We flew CI SFO to CGK, 14.5 hours to Taipei, plus 5 more hours to Jakarta,
with our son when he was 18 months. He was too big for the bassinette--
which is in the front row. We did buy a ticket (at half price) and I am glad
we did. If the airplane is full you will rue the day you didn't have a seat
for him. We took the back row of seats on the side (3 across). There was a
small place behind it where he could go when he was bored. It wasn't far
from the lavatory and because it had the wall behind we were not so worried
about him annoying others. We did slip a little Sudafed type medicine in his
milk to encourage sleep on the trip and for the most part he slept (on mom
or dad or in his own seat) most of the first leg. Our son is also "active"
and it was a challenge. Bring toys and books and your own snacks and drinks
that he likes. It was not as bad as I had feared and hopefully your trip
will work out fine also!

Best wishes,
Wolf

Old January 19th, 2005, 09:09 AM
chilly

"Wolfie" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Good for you Wolfie. You had a plan and executed it to the best of your
ability. No one really expects people to travel without their children, not
even an old "grump" like me. Myself, I just like to know that the parents
cared, prepared and tried. :^)

The second last flight I was on was a particular trial. I'm not sure who
was more annoying though . . .the kids or the mom.

Two kids, ages approx 3 & 5, and mom sitting in the three seats immediately
behind me. Dad sitting in a row by himself across the aisle from mom. The
kids didn't make a bunch of noise, but they did keep kicking my seat and
staring over top at me. Mom just kept jumping up and down and leaning
across the inside seats to look out the window. Of course, every time she
did that, she had to put her hand on the back of my seat and yank on it.
Dad just kept himself amused in his 3 seats all to himself. I wasn't
feeling too good on that flight and it was all I could do, to keep from
yelling at mom "Haven't you *ever* been on a plane before?"

Best wishes,
Wolf

Old January 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Amoeba

I've experienced simliar case when I flew with KLM.

I had a seat on that special area. When I just sat down on my seat, the
stewardess asked whether I would mind sitting in the other area. It was no
problem to me as I didn't have window seats anyhow. ;-) Afterwards, the
passenger sitting next to me said she travelled with a kid and her
mother-in-law who was sitting in the other row. It would be more convenient
for her to take care of her kid if he could sit next to her. Finally, I had
the other (better) seat.

If you need to reserve a seat on that special area, call CP a week before
you fly. If you wanna have an extra seat then, ask the assistants and the
passenger next to you. If the flight is really full, you have no choice but
to let your child sleep on your lap during the journey.

"bar" ¦b¶l¥ó ¤¤
¼¶¼g...

Old January 19th, 2005, 09:29 AM
pied piper

youve hit the nail on the head there its not the kids its the parents when
our baby started screaming on a flight we did all we could to soothe her
with the minimum of fuss and soon got her back to sleep in the bassinet
other parents just seemed to let their kids scream or run around the aisles
annoying people its the parents responsibility to control their children
unfortunately some parents are irresponsible. Our route with the baby was
Bali to Jakarta to Singapore to Colombo to Dubai to London a nightmare route
at the best of times but the baby was fine .
"chilly" wrote in message