Travel with Infant by plane (Cathay Pacific)

Old January 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Viviane

That was a joke! I keep forgetting that non Brits have no sense of irony.
As if anyone would put a child in a bassinet in front of someone else on a
plane and walk away - then again maybe you would contemplate that which is
why you failed to see the joke.

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Viviane wrote:
Most airlines have special seats where you can have a bassinet.

However
these aren't guaranteed. I learnt a trick that if the airline says

it's
taken and someone is sitting there but doesn't have kids, ask if you

can put
your child there and for them to let you know when he wakes up,

unless they
wish to swap seats.

Try that with me and you're going to get told "No!". In fact, I'd be
surprised if an airline would allow you to put the kid there when
you're not in that seat.

If you can't travel with an infant without causing problems for other
passengers, stay home.

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Viviane

I couldn't agree more with that. I always ensure my child behaves on a
plane and hate being near feral kids on long haul flights. How their
parents can be oblivious to their behaviour is beyond me. One of my
colleagues flew back from Singapore recently on the overnight flight. IN
the seat next to him was a mother with an 18 month old child who wriggled
and yelled the whole way. The parents seemed incapable of looking after
him. Bar, please remember other passengers when you travel.

"chilly" wrote in message

"bar" wrote in message

Użytkownik "Viviane" wrote in

At 20 months your son may be too big for a bassinet - they have a
weight
limit. I think it's 8kg on Qantas.

ups..., my son weigth is more than 14 kg ;-)

If holding your child for such a long flight is a problem (and at 20
months they are getting big and active) another solution is to buy a

seat
for him.

It's too big difference in price :-(

Then you'll have to figure out how to keep him held in your lap all that
time and if you can't do that, then try to figure out how to keep him from
disturbing the other passengers.

I don't mind kids on the plane, as long as they aren't crying, yelling,
screaming, running up and down or kicking my seat, especially while I'm
trying to sleep.

Call me an old grump if you want to, but I paid for my ticket too and
shouldn't have to suffer just because you don't want to pay for a ticket
for
your child.

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Viviane

I thought sudafed was something to keep you awake. In Australia we have
problems with people buying lots of it to make amphetamines. Maybe there's
a different version in other countries.

"Wolfie" wrote in message
. ..
We flew CI SFO to CGK, 14.5 hours to Taipei, plus 5 more hours to Jakarta,
with our son when he was 18 months. He was too big for the bassinette--
which is in the front row. We did buy a ticket (at half price) and I am
glad
we did. If the airplane is full you will rue the day you didn't have a
seat
for him. We took the back row of seats on the side (3 across). There was a
small place behind it where he could go when he was bored. It wasn't far
from the lavatory and because it had the wall behind we were not so
worried
about him annoying others. We did slip a little Sudafed type medicine in
his
milk to encourage sleep on the trip and for the most part he slept (on mom
or dad or in his own seat) most of the first leg. Our son is also "active"
and it was a challenge. Bring toys and books and your own snacks and
drinks
that he likes. It was not as bad as I had feared and hopefully your trip
will work out fine also!

Best wishes,
Wolf
"bar" wrote in message
Hello,
I`am planning to fly by Cathay Pacific airlines to Asia with my wife and

20
months old son in March and I have few questions.
I have a reservation to fly on board Boeing 747-400, how look the place

for
the mother witch child?
Is there a special place to lay down a child to sleep? I haven`t idea how

put up12 hours flight witch my wriggle son, he can`t sit down for a
second
;-)
Can I take on board collapsing stroller ?

Do You have any other useful advice for me?

regards,
bar

Old January 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Dee

"Viviane" wrote in message
u...
I thought sudafed was something to keep you awake. In Australia we have
problems with people buying lots of it to make amphetamines. Maybe there's
a different version in other countries.

We have a drowsy and a non-drowsy Sudafed here in the UK. I much prefer
Benylin though, knocks me out for hours. You can also buy Piriton syrup
over the counter (I gave it to my kids when they had chicken pox) which can
have a sedative effect and for some reason is usually sold in Boots (a UK
chemist chain) at airports....

Old January 19th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Tchiowa

Viviane wrote:
That was a joke! I keep forgetting that non Brits have no sense of

irony.
As if anyone would put a child in a bassinet in front of someone else

on a
plane and walk away - then again maybe you would contemplate that

which is
why you failed to see the joke.

The reason that I didn't see that as a joke is that I have flown well
over 2 million miles and during that time I have seen people do a lot
worse than that on a plane. Particularly smokers and passengers with
kids. You may not have been serious, but don't kid yourself that others
wouldn't do something dumb like that.

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 19th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Dee

"pied piper" wrote in message
theres always good old calpol

That's just bog standard paracetamol it's not going to help one bit with the
itching or getting them to sleep. Plus I don't trust Calpol - I remember
when it was banned in other countries but not here in the UK. I've never
trusted them since.

Dee

Old January 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Peter L

"Viviane" wrote in message
u...
I keep forgetting that non Brits have no sense of irony.

that's funny, talk about the ultimate irony.