Reliability of Postal Services in Thailand

Old January 26th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Carlos

Default Reliability of Postal Services in Thailand

Mid December last year, I delivered about 30 letters to the Post Office at the Mall
in Nakhorn-Ratchasima to be send to several people around the world.

These letters contained Postcards or Calendars with Seasons Greetings.

Last week, I had a phone call from my daughter in Belgium, asking if something
happened to me because she didn't received a Seasons Greetings letter.

In the same week, I received different calls and emails from friends and family and
even bussiness partners with the same worry as they didn't received a letter from me.

So, it became clear that these letters has never seen the main Post Office.

The last 3 years I have been travelling all over Asia.
I have send many postcards to my family and friends from different countries in Asia,
and all these cards did arrived at destination without any problem.
But for some reason, Thailand isn't able to provide a thrustworthy Postal Service.

It is a shame that a country like Thailand who wants to profile themselves to the
outside world as highly sophisticated and as the "Number 1" in everything they do,
has such a bad and unreliable Postal Service.

From now on, I will have to send every letter with a required "signature of
collector".
Altough this is not a guarantee that the Postal Service in Thailand will improve
their reliability.

Carlos

Old January 27th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Biker

All the parcels and letters my wife has sent to me in Australia from
thailand have arrived ok...but she sends them all by registered
post.....and all the mail I have sent to thailand has arrived......bar
one.
Unfortunately I decided to send $150 inside a card to
bangkok......
Sigh.....live and learn!

Dick

Originally
posted by Carlos
[...]

From now on, I will have to send every letter with a required "signature
of

Old January 27th, 2004, 07:40 PM
XOR

"Carlos" wrote in message ...
[...]

From now on, I will have to send every letter with a required "signature of
collector".
Altough this is not a guarantee that the Postal Service in Thailand will improve
their reliability.

Carlos

FWIW, between Nov 2001-April 2002, I sent _at least_ 100 postcards and
a few letters from Bangkok to various places around the world. Maybe
50% reached their final destination, and of those, some took months to
arrive. There was no particular order to whether or not they'd make
it. I tried posting from different places, different times. I posted
anywhere from 5-10 every couple of weeks. No clear pattern. I had no
trouble receiving mail in Bangkok - at least from those who told me
they'd sent some.

I expected the same again, but between Nov 2002-April 2003, June
2003-Oct 2003, I sent another 200 or so post cards and letters. AFAIK
ALL were received. Most within 7-12 days. At least 90% of these were
all sent from Mae Sot, Tak Province, rather than Bangkok.

I was just hoping the mail service had improved in that time, but I
guess not....
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Per Löwdin

between Nov 2002-April 2003, June
2003-Oct 2003, I sent another 200 or so post cards and letters.

You must have spent nearly all your time there writing them

We have sent parcels with all kinds of gear, souvenirs, clothes, tent,
stove, books, etc., several times from Bangkok and have never had the
slightest problem. In fact compared to the postal services in other
countries it is very smooth and efficient.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Old January 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM
XOR

"Per Löwdin" wrote in message ...
between Nov 2002-April 2003, June
2003-Oct 2003, I sent another 200 or so post cards and letters.

You must have spent nearly all your time there writing them

I was there working, and enjoyed many evenings having a meal and a
drink on my own, which I often used to write postcards (in holiday
time they were my "Christmas cards"). Takes about 5 mins max. per
card. I like sending them, the people I send them to like getting them
.
Old January 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Kris

Strange, I never ever had any problem with Thai mail. Over the years,
I sent dozens of large boxes full of stuff, hundreds and hundreds of
postcards, dozens of letters,... and to my knowledge nothing ever went
missing. Maybe you just had a stroke of bad luck at the NR post
office. Maybe they had some psycho mail officer burning foreigner's
letters or something, or taking them home because he likes the
incomprehensible writing.

Kris

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:51:11 +0700, "Carlos"
wrote:

[...]

From now on, I will have to send every letter with a required "signature of

Old January 28th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Markku Grönroos

And Thailand is merely the first steps on the path to the receiver. Perhaps
the fault has occurred outside the kingdom. One of our colleagues sent a
postcard from Rome, Italy dated on 29.12.2003, it arrived in it's
destination last week... Two decades ago I addressed the Mexican youth
hostel association some questions in a letter in summer 1984. I received a
response letter in February 1985 addressed to one Marklan Grohroos,

wrote:

[...]

From now on, I will have to send every letter with a required "signature

Old January 29th, 2004, 02:03 AM
XOR

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message ...
And Thailand is merely the first steps on the path to the receiver. Perhaps
the fault has occurred outside the kingdom. One of our colleagues sent a
postcard from Rome, Italy dated on 29.12.2003, it arrived in it's
destination last week...

That's only a few weeks, not *that* long for a postcard. 5 months is,
IMO, a long time for a postcard to reach it's destination . I
usually dated all my postcards. My father called me in May of 2002 to
tell me he received the postcard I'd sent in December of 2001. At
least he received it...

I actually sent a letter which was included some rather sensitive
topics that was never received. Had it been, the course of things may
have been different...in the end I am not sure I am glad Thai mail
lost it or not ;-)

I would have thought, in my case, that the fault lay (lie?) outside
the Kingdom, but I sent cards to quite a few countries, and there was
no obvious pattern. Fortunately, posting outside Bangkok seemed to
solve that problem in subsequent mailings.
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM
Per Löwdin

Which countries?

Nepal, India, Hongkong, Lao, Vietnam, Cambodia, the Thai postal service is
reknowned for being efficient. Does not imply that it can´t fail at times.
Per