New flier needs advice on first class

Old June 8th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Default New flier needs advice on first class

I'm going to be flying first class for the first time in a couple of weeks.
I need to decide which airline to fly from ft myers FL to Portland OR. I
would like to hear some opinions on who has the best service and luxuries in
first class. My mom went with Delta. They're okay I guess. I'm looking to
find out what you get on first class as well. One of my friends said her
dinner was served on china but my mom said her plate was regular. Thanks in
advance for the help. Only going one way in case that matters.

Majax

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:36 AM
-L.

Hilary wrote:

Hilary

Are you the samre Hilary from the UK who used to post at alt.newlywed?
If so, I'd love an email update from you - what's up these days?
Address in header is valid.

-Lyn
(Who used to post there long ago.)

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
joelamp

The main features of flying in first class domestically are wider,
(much) more comfortable seats, more elbow room, more personal attention
from the flight attendants, beer/wine/liquor available at no extra
charge, better food service - and these are true of most any major
carrier which offers first class. Also, first class pax board first
and often are served a pre-departure beverage.

Frequent fliers using upgrade coupons are the main occupants of first
class these days and most appreciate the extra room and comforts.

The longer the route, the more first class is appreciated and
(generally) the better the service. Long haul domestic flights
(JFK/LAX or ORD/HNL, for example) can rival international service in
first class and, of course, as was mentioned by others intercontinental
flights are where you see a real difference in first class service.

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Rog'

"A Mate" wrote...
Domestic First Class within the US is not worth any significant
premium!!

On many airlines, if you pay for a coach seat and 1st class seats
are available, you can sometimes upgrade to 1st class at the gate
for a fairly nominal charge. The trick is that the priority goes to
passengers who paid the most for their ticket and get on the
standby list first. Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the
gate for only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Old June 9th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Alan S

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:00:44 -0400, "Rog'"
wrote:

"A Mate" wrote...
Domestic First Class within the US is not worth any significant
premium!!

On many airlines, if you pay for a coach seat and 1st class seats
are available, you can sometimes upgrade to 1st class at the gate
for a fairly nominal charge. The trick is that the priority goes to
passengers who paid the most for their ticket and get on the
standby list first. Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the
gate for only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Having spent some time as the equivalent in RAAF fatigues -
they should have been offered first class for no extra
charge automatically:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Rog'

"Rog'" wrote:
Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the gate for
only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Having spent some time as the equivalent in RAAF
fatigues - they should have been offered first class for
no extra charge automatically:-)

Granted; however, a few of their travel-mates were still
back in coach. I wondered what they were thinking
of their compares. =R=

Old June 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Rog'" wrote:
Delta, for example, has been upgrading at the gate for
only $50 - 75 for East Coast travel. I just saw some
Army grunts in fatigues in 1st class! =R=

Having spent some time as the equivalent in RAAF
fatigues - they should have been offered first class for
no extra charge automatically:-)

Granted; however, a few of their travel-mates were still
back in coach. I wondered what they were thinking
of their compares. =R=

FWIW, it is against U.S. Army ethics regulations for soldiers to be in
uniform when flying in 1st class. An exception might have been made in
this case though.

dennis