Going to Tanzania and/or Kenya June2005 - Lots of Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Justin Leggroan

Default Going to Tanzania and/or Kenya June2005 - Lots of Questions

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to arrange a 10 day photo/viewing safari to Kenya/Tanzania in
June of 2005. Since it is now nearly the same time of year that I am hoping
to make the trip, I figured it is also a good time to start asking a lot of
questions.

If there is anyone doing something similar this year or has done so in years
past, I'd really like to hear from you?

Here are my questions:

Question 1

I am having a very challenging time locating agencies in the U.S. that can
aid me in arranging some of the types of safaris people have discussed on
this forum.

Can anyone recommend a """REPUTABLE""" company or companies that they have
done business with in the past?

How did you determine the reputability of the company you booked with?
There is no shortage of companies on the internet offering to arrange
safaris but I don't know how to compare them.

Note:

During my trip, I'd like to stay exclusively in Lodges if possible.... I
understand it is a bit more expensive but what the heck, it will make for a
great first trip.

Question 2

I will be traveling alone and have read that some of the single supplements
routinely charged during other times of year are often waved in June. Is
this true?

Question 3

I've been leveraging www.weather.com to see what the weather will be like
when I go but unfortunately it is grossly inadequate because the terrain is
too broad.

What is the weather like in June on the Serengeti and around the Ngorongoro
Crater?
Can you recommend any websites I can use to monitor the type of weather over
the next 6 or so weeks?

Question 4

Any chance I might get to see the Wildebeest Migration in June?

Question 5

With all of the traveling required, how light would you recommend I pack?
and what kind of baggage should I employ for the trip? other than a camera
bag (smile)

Question 6

I'm a very personable and outgoing individual so I don't think I'll have
issues making friends along the way, but does anyone have suggestions for
people going on safari alone?

I would really enjoy hearing the impressions and/or experiences of anyone
who has went on safari in Kenya and/or Tanzania alone.

To everyone: Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Justin