Maui Kaanapali area Hotel Opinions and some Snorkeling info

Old September 13th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Jerry

Default Maui Kaanapali area Hotel Opinions and some Snorkeling info

Recently we spent 2 weeks in Maui with a group and spent some time at
the Embassy Suit, and Outrigger Maui Eldorado in the Kaanapali Maui
area. The rest of our group stayed at the Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton so
we got to see their rooms and spend time at their pools. Heres some
information on these hotels that may be of interest to others.

If you interested in a great room the Embassy suit is the hands down
winner. Its standard room has a large separate bedroom, very large
bathroom and living room kitchen area. Full cooked breakfast (but they
don't do cooked to order omelets now) next to the pool and ocean is
included along with a 2 hr happy hour. The Kaanapali Maui Eldorado
comes in next with a nice living area and better kitchen area ( we
didn't cook 1 meal either place ) but the bedroom isn't separate. No
breakfast available at the condo. The patio was great and grounds
nice. The rooms at the Marriott, Weston and Hyatt area nothing to
brag about, they are small, very clean, well kept and simple rooms -
yor paying for the pool and grounds at these hotels. The breakfast at
these hotes runs about $24 extra but you can get a cooked to order
omelets, orange juice at the Weston was an extra $5.00 (thats on top
of the $24) but it was included in the Sheaton Breakfast and the
Embassy Suit.

If I rate the rooms alone (1 lowest to 10 highest )

Embassy suit - 9 largest with included hot breakfast and happy hr
Maui Eldorado - 7 large nice room
-------------------- clear difference in rooms
Marriott - 5 small, clean room
Hyatt - 5 small, clean room
Weston - 5 small clean room

Well room size isn't everything so heres a few other things to
consider. The Pool at the Hyatt, Weston and Marriott are great. They
are very large and interesting with slides, rocks, flowers,
waterfalls, caves, slides and a children area.

Rating the pools alone

Hyatt - 9 Best one we found, fastest slide in a tube but too
fast for kids
Weston - 8 real nice you'll be very happy, separate adult pool,
good slide
Marriott - 7.5 again real nice you'll be very happy. very nice
children area, good slide
---------------------
Sheraton - 7 Very nice pool; lazy river type but not as nice as the
above 3
Embassy Suit -6 Nice pool area but not as nice as the above 4
--------------------
Maui Eldorado -3 What can i say it has a 3 pools, each wet. 1 called
large and 2 small but not in the same class as the above 4

Grounds
Hyatt - 9 Nicest grounds
Weston - 8 Very nice, close to Hyatt
Marriott - 7 Again very nice
----------------------------- The above 3 are also right next to each
other with a beautiful walk into Whalers Village. Its a wonderful,
beautiful walk.

Embassy Suit - 6 Nice grounds but not us nice as the above 4.
Maui Eldorado - 4 Nice but not in the same league as the above 4.
Large golf fairway between you and ocean.

Beach Area in Front of Hotel
Hyatt - 7
Weston - 7
Marriott - 7
Sheraton - 9 Next to Black Rock and very good Snorkeling
Embassy Suit - 8
Maui Eldorado - 7 Beach is nice with a separate deck bathroom facility
you can use but your a good 10 minute walk from your room to the
beach. Shuttle service is available.

Well I hope I helped some. Everyone has different opinions and these
are mine and my wifes (along with some of our friends that we talked
too). Your millage may differ! ops one more interesting fact if your
a tennis player. Tennis at the Marriott and Hyatt cost $10 per person
per hr (yes if you play doubles they want $40/hr but after some
talking we got it for $20/hr). When you stay at the Maui Eldorado you
can play tennis free at the Sheraton, Marriott and a few other places.
Amazing if you stay at the Marriott it cost you to pay at their tennis
courts but if you stay at the Eldorado you can play there free. You
explain that to me. Golf - can't help much here expect the course in
Kaanapali looks beautiful and staying at the Eldorado gives use of
these courses but the other hotels might also and not sure of the
price.

For snorkeling we liked Kapalua Bay the best because the beach is
beautiful and sheltered from waves so it easy to walk into and it has
parking. Black Rock is nice, also right by the Sheraton and a easy
walk from the Weston, Hyatt and Marriott. But if you don't stay at one
of these Hotels parking is a problem. Honolua bay had the most fish
and largest but was the hardest to get into - very rocky. We tried to
find Kahekili Beach park but couldn't - perhaps you'll have better
luck. Olowalu South of Lahanina was said to be the most popular and
have a lot of fish but when we got there we found warnings posted that
shark bites had occured in the area so we went back to Kapaulua beach.
BTW we did happen to see a large shark eating a sea turtle on our
shuttle out to the Maui Princess for a evening dinner cruise (shuttle
captain was bad news )but cruise was good. We fed the fish Cheese Wiz
and the fish food you buy in the dive shops. Each worked good but I
think the fish liked the fish food better.
Talking about snorkel gear. The hotels rented basic gear for $7/hr and
$17/day WOW. The Mom and Pop stores outside the hotels rented the
basic gear for $9/week and the Maui Dive shop beat the Hotels by a
mile also. We take our own face mask and snorkel tube and just rent
the fins for $5 a week. Molokini was about a 2 hr boat ride from
Lahanina. THe water was the bluest we ever saw and a very very clear.
We saw a limited variety of fish there but did enjoy the ride and
dive,
For the best source of where to snorkel go to a Maui Dive shop and
pick up one of their Maui Dive Guides. Its free and a shows all the
snorkle place and now to get there along with a beginner, inter, adv
rating.

Have a great time in Maui -Hope I provided some useful information.
Old September 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM
TheNewsGuy

On 12 Sep 2004 22:15:29 -0700, (Jerry) wrote:

Have a great time in Maui -Hope I provided some useful information.

Heading there this winter - the snorkeling info will be helpful

Thanks

+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+