Thepossible return of fuel surcharges

Old June 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Thepossible return of fuel surcharges

Here is something to watch... the price of cruise oil is nearing $70 per
barrel. When the cruise lines removed the fuel surcharges last year, they
did so with the caveat that IF the price of oil goes to $70 a barrel, they
can reimpose fuel surcharges up to $10 pp per day.

I think we are walking a fine line. If the cost hits $70, you can bet
they'll add the surcharge... but I hope not the entire $10 pp per day at
once.

It is a sign of the times.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

September 19, 2009 Carnival Glory http://www.cruisemaster.com/glory.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old June 5th, 2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
kerry ambler

hi george,
the $70 level is for carnivals family of cruiselines.
royal caribbeans family is $65. there are determination dates and then it
applies to the next quarter.
example:
june 17th, if the nymex sweet texas crude is $65 or more then the third
quarter 2009 will have the surcharge.
basicly it's 2 weeks before the quarter starts.

Old June 5th, 2009, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:52:20 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

Here is something to watch... the price of cruise oil is nearing $70 per
barrel. When the cruise lines removed the fuel surcharges last year, they
did so with the caveat that IF the price of oil goes to $70 a barrel, they
can reimpose fuel surcharges up to $10 pp per day.

I think we are walking a fine line. If the cost hits $70, you can bet
they'll add the surcharge... but I hope not the entire $10 pp per day at
once.

It is a sign of the times.

I gelt the need to attach the wording to my cruise reminders that I
sent out today. Really hated to do it, but didn't want to hear later
:-)

Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:56:27 GMT, "kerry ambler" kerryamblerNO
wrote:

hi george,
the $70 level is for carnivals family of cruiselines.
royal caribbeans family is $65. there are determination dates and then it
applies to the next quarter.
example:
june 17th, if the nymex sweet texas crude is $65 or more then the third
quarter 2009 will have the surcharge.
basicly it's 2 weeks before the quarter starts.

Are there any cruise lines with price guarantees?

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 6/5/09 1:56 AM, in article , "kerry
ambler" kerryamblerNO wrote:

hi george,
the $70 level is for carnivals family of cruiselines.
royal caribbeans family is $65. there are determination dates and then it
applies to the next quarter.
example:
june 17th, if the nymex sweet texas crude is $65 or more then the third
quarter 2009 will have the surcharge.
basicly it's 2 weeks before the quarter starts.

Are you sure? The language used (e.g. by HAL) ("the company reserves the
right to reinstate...") suggests it may do so retroactively. We received a
fuel surcharge refund from RCI retroactively as well.

Old June 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , peter
wrote:

Are you sure? The language used (e.g. by HAL) ("the company reserves the
right to reinstate...") suggests it may do so retroactively. We received a
fuel surcharge refund from RCI retroactively as well.

I can see them adding the fuel surcharge to bookings that have not
reached final payment since one still has the chance to cancel but I
think if they add it to sailings that are already paid they would be
shooting themselves in the foot.

--
Charles
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , peter
wrote:

Are you sure? The language used (e.g. by HAL) ("the company reserves the
right to reinstate...") suggests it may do so retroactively. We received
fuel surcharge refund from RCI retroactively as well.

I can see them adding the fuel surcharge to bookings that have not
reached final payment since one still has the chance to cancel but I
think if they add it to sailings that are already paid they would be
shooting themselves in the foot.

Most of the cruise lines have been adding the following (or similar)
language to their booking confirmations ever since they had to roll-back the
original fuel surcharges:

"Carnival reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all
guests at up to $9 per person per day should the price of light sweet crude
oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) increase
above $70 per barrel."

It is my understanding that when the cruise lines were forced to roll back
the fuel surcharges and make refunds when the price of oil dropped, part of
the agreement with the Florida State AG office was that in the future, if
the surcharges were added again, they would be allowed to apply them to
existing bookings, even after final payment. I believe they had to change
the wording in the passage of contract, etc... but I haven't bothered to
look. I just tell people that if the price of oil goes up, there is the
chance of possible fuel surcharges.

Oil is trading around $68 per barrel this morning.

Old June 5th, 2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Jun 4, 6:52�pm, "George Leppla" wrote:
Here is something to watch... the price of cruise oil is nearing $70 per
barrel. �When the cruise lines removed the fuel surcharges last year, they
did so with the caveat that IF the price of oil goes to $70 a barrel, they
can reimpose fuel surcharges up to $10 pp per day.

I think we are walking a fine line. �If the cost hits $70, you can bet
they'll add the surcharge... but I hope not the entire $10 pp per day at
once.

It is a sign of the times.

--
George Leppla � �http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Webloghttp://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

September 19, 2009 �Carnival Gloryhttp://www.cruisemaster.com/glory.htm
January 10, 2009 �Southern Caribbeanhttp://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 �OASIShttp://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

unfortunatly they can add the fuel surchrge if paid or not What gets
me thugh is they are giving out ( rccl) $100 OBC for the Explorer, So
if your giving this out or lowering prices then why even add this?
the oil goign up is nothing more then speculaters... can not wait til
the world goes to electric powered/battery powered or a;ternative
power then they can all drink their dang oil
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

Even though oil was and/or is nearing $70 a barrel, it is already starting
to come down at bit. We all know that this is closely watched by all the
cruise line anyway; but likewise, we can all bet that they simply don't want
to jump to gun either. This would only create bad press, animosity and doubt
among the traveling public, and jeopardize their creditability. There has
already been enough written about this very subject before on R.T.C., when
the cruise lines did have to implement this additional fuel supplemental
fee. There is absolutely no point in purposely stirring the pot now,
creating a self-educed and panic for those wanting to cruise, when at this
point in time, this is nothing but pure speculation - which may never happen
anyway. In fact, let's hope it remains that way.

Smooth sailing to all...
John

Old June 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"John Sisker" wrote in message
m...
Even though oil was and/or is nearing $70 a barrel, it is already starting
to come down at bit. We all know that this is closely watched by all the
cruise line anyway; but likewise, we can all bet that they simply don't
want to jump to gun either. This would only create bad press, animosity
and doubt among the traveling public, and jeopardize their creditability.
There has already been enough written about this very subject before on
R.T.C., when the cruise lines did have to implement this additional fuel
supplemental fee.

Amazing. You are the guy who posts press releases over and over again after
someone else has already posted the same thing... now you are criticizing me
for starting a subject that is germane to the industry today?

You are the same guy who copies other websites wholesale then pastes it into
"informational" posts here on r.t.c. and you are criticizing me for starting
a new discussion about a situation that is happening in the cruise industry?

You are the same guy who posts links to other people's articles and you are
criticizing me for starting an original discussion that is both timely and
on topic?

You are the guy who posts links to your own "bought and paid for travel
agent in a box" booking engine... and you are criticizing me?

You are the guy who belonged to and defended a MLM marketing scam (Joystar)
in spite of the fact that knowledgeable people warned you YEARS ago that
this company was bogus and a scam..... and you are criticizing me?

Incredible.