How Carnival Glory Stole My Christmas!

Old December 29th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Jack

Default How Carnival Glory Stole My Christmas!

A little background; we are avid cruisers and our family thoroughly
enjoy the cruising vacation experience. We've been on ten different
cruises in the past six years and enjoyed them all. After reading
about the terrific experiences and the festive decorations on board
the cruise ships, we decided to try our first Christmas cruise.
Having read of many favorable past Carnival Christmas cruises and we
wanted to try a new vessel, we selected the Carnival Glory to spend
our holiday. It was very DISAPPOINTNG!!

We were told there were about 3,500 total passengers (full capacity),
with 800 children on board. We expected a well-decorated ship with a
festive ambiance to celebrate the holiday. Instead, we found the ship
to be nearly devoid of Christmas decorations. There was one large
tree and garland hung on the center banisters at the "Atrium." There
were also two small Christmas trees in each of the two dining rooms.
Sadly, this was all we can find. There were no other significant
decorations in any other areas of the ship; pool area (Lido Deck), the
numerous lounges, promenade area, Camp carnival, Red Sea Restaurant
(Buffet), Amber Palace (theater), etc. Remarkably, not even the few
stores on board the vessel were decorated (they could sure use a
lesson from the department stores).

We had enrolled our children in Camp Carnival and were also very
disappointed. We thought surely there would be something festive for
the kids on board. Instead, we were told by one of the camp
counselors that since not everyone celebrate Christmas, they do not
provide Christmas specific activities for the children. We were
flabbergasted, wasn't this advertised as a Christmas cruise? Instead,
the children were mostly given "free play;" which I saw as video games
for one group and TV or a tape book for the younger ones. While other
kids were left as groups of marauding hooligans left to entertain
themselves.

There was a Christmas show on Christmas Day where children from Camp
Carnival were invited to join the performers on stage. At the end of
the show, Santa Claus made an appearance for the children and gave
each one a small carnival dolphin in a clear plastic bag. Although,
this gesture is appreciated, but frankly, considering we paid a
premium for a Christmas cruise, the Santa Claus at my local mall made
more of an effort.

Although we have NOT soured on the idea of a Christmas Cruise, as
matter of fact, we have started looking for December 2004. We met a
few people from other cruise ships while in port at Cozumel, Mexico
(there were 10 ships in port that day) that raved about the festive
ambiance on board their vessels (Royal Caribbean, Disney and
Celebrity). We also met a couple on an NCL cruise that were in the
same boat as we were (pun intended). Please, if others could write
about their experiences it would help us to make a better selection in
2004.

I guess the best way to characterize the Carnival Glory experience is
a lady we met at lunch one day. She was dressed in a festive red
sweatshirt with a decorated Christmas tree emblazoned in the front,
someone had remarked that they liked her shirt and it was very
Christmassy. To which she remarked, "you surely can't tell its
Christmas by looking around this ship." After some conversion, she
LAMENTED, "I still have one more week on this ship."
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Eileen Garland

So sorry to hear how disappointing your cruise was, Jack! I think it's
great that you posted this so that future cruisers will know what to
expect (or maybe what NOT to expect).

We cruised during Christmas week on the Sun Princess a number of years
back (I think it might have been in 1995); it was beautifully decorated.

Eileen

Old December 29th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Charles

In article , Jack
wrote:

Please, if others could write about their experiences it would help
us to make a better selection in 2004.

I have never been on a cruise during Christmas week but I have been on
three cruises the week or two before on Celebrity and Royal Carribean.
Both those cruise lines had lots of trees and festive holiday
decorations.

--
Charles
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:44 AM
McCormick's

I just got back today from HAL - Maasdam. They had wonderful Christmas
decorations. Trees and garland all over the ship. They even painted Merry
Christmas above the pool area at the back of the ship. Yesterday the
re-painted it to read Seasons Greetings.

Christmas day they had Santa arrive "from the smoke stack", visit the pool
area out back and then proceeded to the stage area to greet all the children
(and adults) who wanted to visit with him. I'm not sure what he gave in the
way of presents. My two are 16 & 21 and didn't participate.

Not sure either what type of activities for the children during the week
since mine are too old to participate.

Yvonne in NH-------will attempt a more lengthy review when I have a chance.

m...

Old December 29th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Charles

In article , sheree
wrote:

and hanukkah just ended and it's also kwaanza

There was a large Happy Hanukkah banner hung in the inside promenade
during the RCI Adventure of the Seas cruise I took a few years ago.

--
Charles
Old December 29th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Kenneth Seay

I always heard Carnival was a Ship for People to Drink and have fun not
for ambiance!

I remember a Cruise a Carnival one I think where some Red Neck cussed
and hit a certain Young Man.
But then again the sophisticated are sometimes even more Evil. So you
never know.

I have heard alot of People who are leisurely sure like Carnival.