Minor annoyances

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Default Minor annoyances

Over the years, we've enjoyed many cruises. While we're not up there
with the pros like Tobie, George and others, we've been on quite a few.
Something we commented upon during the Solstice cruise was how a
number of the minor annoyances we'd experienced in the past have been
addressed on the Carnival owned lines. Embarkation and Disembarkation
were always a hassle, but over the past several cruises, they seem to
have been improved- - - at least the ports we've been at. Tendering
with a handicapped person is another PITA, but improved tenders, and
improved tender access from the newer ships have made it almost a drive
on, drive off experience. This is especially true when the lines use
hired tenders at the ports.

The Lido deck experience is improved, IMHO, with food roughly comparable
to the dining room and multiple stations so the entire line isn't held
up while Sadie and Mert debate which cherry tomato is best for the salad
they're building. Help with trays for the handicapped people seems more
abundant and freely offered as well.

Most of the ships we've been on lately are newer, and seem to offer a
myriad of different nooks and crannies to visit, sit, read and enjoy the
scenery. Balcony cabins again appear to me to be minimizing the balcony
area, though, and I'd think twice before spending much for one except
for a "scenic" cruise like New England, Alaska or Europe.

Service is more standardized, IMHO, and I say that in the nicest way.
It's surely a result of training. While there will inevitably be the
inefficient assistant waiter, a neglectful cabin attendant or a Lido
deck helper who's always looking the wrong direction when you motion to
them, the efficiency of the service aboard the lines under Carnival
seems to be standardizing and improving.

The ships themselves differ enough that while there are many
similarities, most folk familiar with cruising can also list differences.

In all, the cruise industry is one of the businesses that appears to be
working hard to attract customers in a smart way and leave them feeling
good about their experiences when they return home.

--
Nonny
Some people are like a Slinky: not really