Why is Celebrity offering 50% discounts on deposits?

Old February 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Walter[_2_]

Default Why is Celebrity offering 50% discounts on deposits?

Celebrity is my favorite cruise line, but their recent "promotion" of
50% off deposit has me scratching my head. Note that you still have to
pay the full cruise price -- the deal is that you only have to post half
the old deposit amount ahead of time.
Here is why I am perplexed: Who does this "deal" appealing to? Isn't
appealing to people that are low on funds and are likely to cancel
latter on? If you sort of want to go on a cruise but are not sure of
your financial situation, this might be appealing -- but doesn't this
mean more cancellations for Celebrity latter on?
I know some of you are travel agents: is the Celebrity "deal"
attracting more business -- and more importantly, is it the right type
of business (customers who will eventually pay)?
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
uCruiser.com

I don't get it either. Ok, so you have to pay less when you book the cruise,
but you'll have to pay more when the remainder is due. How is that going to
help anyone?
Oh well.. They got the press release out and maybe captured extra customers
that way....

--
Best Regards
Mike

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 2/13/2009 3:01 PM, Walter wrote:
Celebrity is my favorite cruise line, but their recent "promotion" of
50% off deposit has me scratching my head. Note that you still have to
pay the full cruise price -- the deal is that you only have to post half
the old deposit amount ahead of time.
Here is why I am perplexed: Who does this "deal" appealing to? Isn't
appealing to people that are low on funds and are likely to cancel
latter on? If you sort of want to go on a cruise but are not sure of
your financial situation, this might be appealing -- but doesn't this
mean more cancellations for Celebrity latter on?

Maybe they figure that people will book figuring that things
will improve, and when push comes to shove and they have to make
the final payment, they'll have gotten so excited about the
cruise that they will find some way to pay for it (or maybe
things really will be better, or maybe credit will have loosened
up). After all, it's vacation!

People may not be spending a lot of money but that hasn't
stopped lots of foolish people from buying overpriced stuff at
the Circuit City going out of business sales when there haven't
been any deals (if you actually know your prices).

Bill
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_5_]

Walter wrote in
:

Celebrity is my favorite cruise line, but their recent "promotion" of
50% off deposit has me scratching my head. Note that you still have
to pay the full cruise price -- the deal is that you only have to post
half the old deposit amount ahead of time.
Here is why I am perplexed: Who does this "deal" appealing to?
Isn't
appealing to people that are low on funds and are likely to cancel
latter on? If you sort of want to go on a cruise but are not sure of
your financial situation, this might be appealing -- but doesn't this
mean more cancellations for Celebrity latter on?
I know some of you are travel agents: is the Celebrity "deal"
attracting more business -- and more importantly, is it the right type
of business (customers who will eventually pay)?

Bill is probably on the money. A low deposit encourages people to book.
People who are booked are then more likely to take "their" cruise. The
ownership aspect is the hook and it has worked for a long time. I get a
client and make a booking. My client now has a cabin, their cabin,
getting deposit is supposed to be easier now and final, well by that
time she has bought her new formal . . .

www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
05.209...
Walter wrote in
:

[...]

And by then the price may have dropped making it even more attractive...

--Tom

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

"Tom K" wrote in message

[...]

.... and if the price has gone up, you're protected.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old February 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Joseph Coulter :

Walter wrote in
:

[...]

My experience so far is that people are now trying to make payments,
rather than putting their purchases on their maxed out and over priced
credit cards. So if "I" can put down less right now, and pay it off
over the next 12 months (with final still due 75 days prior to
sailing) and still be able to bail at any time, why not?

In fact, this is exactly the sort of thing I'm seeing for my business.
With cruises, AIs, tours, etc.

www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

--

- dillon I am not invalid

Hi, I'm Michael Phelps and Olympic Gold isn't the only
Gold I'm thinking of.

Hi, I'm Michael Phelps and when I'm on Maui, Wowwie.

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
pietro

On 2/14/09 10:19 PM, in article
, "John Sisker"
wrote:

"Tom K" wrote in message

[...]

So that's the essence of a deposit: you have a call option on a cruise at a
particular price, but you can always walk away and get your money back?
You're not bound in any way? Your only risk is that the cruise line goes
bankrupt?

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_5_]

pietro wrote in
:

..

So that's the essence of a deposit: you have a call option on a cruise
at a particular price, but you can always walk away and get your money
back? You're not bound in any way? Your only risk is that the cruise
line goes bankrupt?

Actually even then you are often protected by the credit card companies.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021