Birds cause emergency landings, aborted takeoffs

Old February 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Roland Perry[_1_]

Default Birds cause emergency landings, aborted takeoffs

In message , at 08:55:04 on Sun, 1
Feb 2009, Graeme Wall remarked:
Yet its an idea that keeps recurring, I recall Harold Wislon's lot
proposing something similar in the 60's

Maplin Sands wasn't it, IIRC the electronics shops were named after it.

Yes, they thought the name would turn out to have "prestige". And they
used a 'Concorde' graphic in their advertising. But the idea for the
current chain of shops came much much later; originally they were
primarily a mail-order outfit with two small shops to the usual pattern:
one associated with the mail order business in Southend and another in
London to mop up the established "Edgware Rd" trade.

Talking of which, it's almost a year to the day that Tandy sold its UK
chain of almost 300 shops to Carphone Warehouse, having thrown in the
towel on the general purpose electronics trade, which Maplin is now
steadily expanding back into.

Although I have to say that Maplin stores always look to me like they
are halfway through the sort of stock-check and clearance that precedes
a closing down sale. Or maybe that's a deliberate thing.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
William Black

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

Although I have to say that Maplin stores always look to me like they are
halfway through the sort of stock-check and clearance that precedes a
closing down sale. Or maybe that's a deliberate thing.

And if you want to look at the new stuff you have to ask for a look because
it's in the back being played with by the nerds at tea break time.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Robert[_8_]

On 2009-02-01 08:55:04 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

In message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote in message
In article , Keith Willshaw
wrote:

"Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope" wrote in
message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8336596

Birds cause emergency landings, aborted takeoffs

No **** sherlock

Well, it's one bit of evidence to suggest that Boris the Idiot's idea of
an airport in the Thames Estuary is a really, /really/ stupid one. As
we've seen in the last couple of weeks, ingestion of large members of the
order anatidae are not compatible with optimal working of jet engines...

Yet its an idea that keeps recurring, I recall Harold Wislon's lot
proposing something similar in the 60's

Maplin Sands wasn't it, IIRC the electronics shops were named after it.

An airport in that area was originally proposed under the name of
'Foulness', but TPTB (having forgotten - or having never learnt - the
derivation of the word from an older English meaning 'The promontory of
the birds') thought that the name had negative connotations and so
changed it to the higher class 'Maplin Sands'.

If I remember correctly, there were four sites being proposed in the
60s/70s for a new airport for London: Foulness/Maplin; Stansted;
Wing/Cublington and the fourth was, I think, Greenham Common near
Newbury. Can someone in this NG remind me? Was Greenham Common ever
proposed as a site or am I mixing it up with something else?
--
Robert

Old February 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway

On 2009-02-01 08:55:04 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

wrote:

[...]

Northolt could be the 3rd runway......
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message 2009020117410016807-coppercapped@gmailcom, at 17:41:00 on
Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Robert remarked:
If I remember correctly, there were four sites being proposed in the
60s/70s for a new airport for London: Foulness/Maplin; Stansted;
Wing/Cublington and the fourth was, I think, Greenham Common near
Newbury. Can someone in this NG remind me? Was Greenham Common ever
proposed as a site or am I mixing it up with something else?

I'm sure there were just the first three. Greenham Common was where the
USA deployed their cruise missiles (which we don't hear very much about
any more) and was therefore a place of much protest (but not about 3rd
London airports).
--
Roland Perry
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Graeme Wall

On 2009-02-01 08:55:04 +0000, Graeme Wall said:

wrote:

[...]

This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Transport Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail/index.html
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Graeme Wall

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message 2009020117410016807-coppercapped@gmailcom, at 17:41:00 on
Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Robert remarked:
If I remember correctly, there were four sites being proposed in the
60s/70s for a new airport for London: Foulness/Maplin; Stansted;
Wing/Cublington and the fourth was, I think, Greenham Common near
Newbury. Can someone in this NG remind me? Was Greenham Common ever
proposed as a site or am I mixing it up with something else?

I'm sure there were just the first three. Greenham Common was where the
USA deployed their cruise missiles (which we don't hear very much about
any more) and was therefore a place of much protest (but not about 3rd
London airports).

The cruise missiles didn't arrive until the early 80s[1]. For a time
Greenham appears to have been the designated emergency runway for Heathrow as
it had the longest runway in the south of England.

[1] I filmed the first one arriving, many protests, and the last one
departing.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 20:47:24 on Sun, 1
Feb 2009, Graeme Wall remarked:
If I remember correctly, there were four sites being proposed in the
60s/70s for a new airport for London: Foulness/Maplin; Stansted;
Wing/Cublington and the fourth was, I think, Greenham Common near
Newbury. Can someone in this NG remind me? Was Greenham Common ever
proposed as a site or am I mixing it up with something else?

I'm sure there were just the first three. Greenham Common was where the
USA deployed their cruise missiles (which we don't hear very much about
any more) and was therefore a place of much protest (but not about 3rd
London airports).

For a time Greenham appears to have been the designated emergency
runway for Heathrow as it had the longest runway in the south of
England.

That's where the "mixing up" arises I expect.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Graeme Wall

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 20:47:24 on Sun, 1
Feb 2009, Graeme Wall remarked:
If I remember correctly, there were four sites being proposed in the
60s/70s for a new airport for London: Foulness/Maplin; Stansted;
Wing/Cublington and the fourth was, I think, Greenham Common near
Newbury. Can someone in this NG remind me? Was Greenham Common ever
proposed as a site or am I mixing it up with something else?

I'm sure there were just the first three. Greenham Common was where the
USA deployed their cruise missiles (which we don't hear very much about
any more) and was therefore a place of much protest (but not about 3rd
London airports).

For a time Greenham appears to have been the designated emergency
runway for Heathrow as it had the longest runway in the south of
England.

That's where the "mixing up" arises I expect.

I believe Newbury council were keen on the place being adopted as an airport
at one time, but there are apparently covenants on the land that prevent such
usage. The military airfield was sanctioned under wartime emergency powers
on the understanding that when the military ceased to use it it would revert
to common land.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.railway
Sam Wilson

In article
,
Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope wrote:

Former NTSB Chairman Jim Hall said the safety board has been warning
for decades that birds "are a significant safety problem." ...

Sounds like aircraft are a significant safety problem for birds.

Sam