Smart Casual?

Old June 28th, 2004, 03:49 PM
John & Beverly

Default Smart Casual?

We are sailing on the Legend of the Seas to Mexico in 3 weeks.

Is the suggested dress still smart casual
for 1 night?

Seems rediculous to pack a sport coat for only 1 night. I prefer eating in
the dining room and do not wish to eat at the buffet just to avoid dressing.

Thank you,
John

Old June 28th, 2004, 05:32 PM
HDawson228

I agree with Don.
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Peri

Don & Lynn wrote:
Get dressed up and enjoy yourself and have a great cruise.
Don

And please post a report when you come home; we're doing the Legend Mexican
Riviera on 8/29, and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

~ Peri

Old June 28th, 2004, 06:42 PM
J Carnaghie

Forget the sport coat and enjoy yourself. Get a Guayabera
(SP?) shirt (~$15) at the first port call and have a great
time. Very comfortable and appropriate.
John

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Brian K

Yes, a Guayabera (SP?) shirt, the ultimate in tourista fashion faux
pas. It's right up there with the "I'm with stupid" t-shirt. I
interpret Smart Casual to mean similar to Casual Friday's at the
office. If you have a pair of dockers and a polo shirt you're set. If
you feel the need, bring a sport jacket / blazer. If not needed in the
dining room it will still come in handy while walking the outside
promenade deck at night, as temperatures may dip at sea.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

On 06/28/2004 1:42 PM J Carnaghie after palpating a Gingko,
electronically interjected:

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:38 PM
J Carnaghie

To each their own Brian, that's what makes life interesting.
The Guayabera shirts are comfortable and "It's a cruise"
after all. If one wants to be a "Penguin" -- be a Penguin;
you are the customer - unless you are one of those free ride
types - and you are the one who should be satisfied.
Only a very special person would ever consider wearing the
"I'm with stupid" T-shirt - it speaks volumes that are
better left unread.
Cheers,
John

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Howie

John & Beverly wrote:

We are sailing on the Legend of the Seas to Mexico in 3 weeks.

Is the suggested dress still smart casual
for 1 night?

Seems rediculous to pack a sport coat for only 1 night. I prefer eating in
the dining room and do not wish to eat at the buffet just to avoid dressing.

Thank you,
John

Just ignore the "smart casual" designation on RCCl, and eat in the
dining room without a jacket. There is no problem with this.

Howie

Old June 28th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Reef Fish

"John & Beverly" wrote in message news:ydWDc.106267$2i5.58114@attbi_s52...
We are sailing on the Legend of the Seas to Mexico in 3 weeks.

Is the suggested dress still smart casual for 1 night?

Seems rediculous to pack a sport coat for only 1 night. I prefer eating in
the dining room and do not wish to eat at the buffet just to avoid dressing.

Too funny!

I think you're confusing "beach-bum wear", "smart casual", and "formal
wear". :-)

-- Bob.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:10 PM
T.R.

Last year on a 4 night Bahamas cruise I also said the H*** with the
suit or sport coat. I just wore dress pants with a shirt and tie.
Seemed like a lot of the men were doing the same thing as I was. It
also seemed like a lot of people were avoiding the dining room and going
to the Windjammer instead. Someone told me that on the short cruises,
people did this to avoid the cost of tipping the dining room staff !
Our table for eight never had eight people there for dinner. Most
nights it was just four people, and one night it was just my wife and I.

T.R.
P.S.: just cancelled our Alaska cruise! I get to have an angiogram (sp)
instead! I wonder if a stent will trigger the metal detectors at the
airport. LOL